John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Thought he played well. Clearly Emery puts a huge value on keeping the ball so all the players are keeping possession more. Think that will suit McGinn. Under Gerrard he was constantly looking for 30/40 yard “magic” pass which basically meant he was just giving it away a lot. 

• Like 2

I think McGinn under UE will prove to be a better player.....John will never be a first touch super star and we can all see his shortfalls, but he adds a dimension to the team too.

John is a players player, in the same light that Des Bremner was.....not the prettiest on the eye, but essential to a functional team.

When he is played right, he looks much better.....I would hazard a guess that UE see's something in him, that he wants in the team.....I think Gerrard did, but played him wrong.

Not a captain, but I suspect an ingredient, the team needs.

I suspect, not a spent force yet.

Ps looked like he had lost a bit of weight, against Chelsea......might be my imagination though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think McGinn under UE will prove to be a better player.....John will never be a first touch super star and we can all see his shortfalls, but he adds a dimension to the team too.

John is a players player, in the same light that Des Bremner was.....not the prettiest on the eye, but essential to a functional team.

When he is played right, he looks much better.....I would hazard a guess that UE see's something in him, that he wants in the team.....I think Gerrard did, but played him wrong.

Ps looked like he had lost a bit of weight, against Chelsea......might be my imagination though.

I’m not sure, I think whereas other players have started to look better under Emery, I think McGinn and Watkins haven’t and if that continues they will be left behind.  I think he’s just a step behind the likes of Kamara and Luiz when we play, feels hes becoming the weak link.  We need a player like him but an upgraded version.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Think you're probably right on this one mate, he still has a part to play for me. Question is whether he wants to stick around if he finds himself as more of a rotation player or if he will want to move on to somewhere he's more likely to be a guaranteed starter 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wife at Proclaimers concert tonight in Inverness and she sent me video of Sunshine of Leith being sung by the popular duo. It brought me back memories of SJM winning his last major honour after humbling Rangers at Ibrox. Still think this is best song, sung by fans after a victory….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Wife at Proclaimers concert tonight in Inverness and she sent me video of Sunshine of Leith being sung by the popular duo. It brought me back memories of SJM winning his last major honour after humbling Rangers at Ibrox. Still think this is best song, sung by fans after a victory….

Hampden I meant. Clearly I am pished. Wife away at Proclaimers in Inverness and I live in Paisley. 

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A lot of people saying he looked a lot better last night.  Was I watching a different game? He was constantly giving the ball away.

Agreed. Still sticks out for me as a poor player. Not one of the 6s, not one of the attacking 3. I don't see a natural place for him.

Still in the first tranche of pruning for me.

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Agreed. Still sticks out for me as a poor player. Not one of the 6s, not one of the attacking 3. I don't see a natural place for him.

Still in the first tranche of pruning for me.

It was frustrating watching some nice play last night from Kamara, Luiz and Buendia, only for McGinn to mishit the pass. 

He shouldn't be starting for me; he has a lot of energy and is good at winning the ball back, bring him on last 20 mins when opposition are tiring.

37 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A lot of people saying he looked a lot better last night.  Was I watching a different game? He was constantly giving the ball away.

Yes not sure what game you was watching 

Â