John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

I reckon Mings has spoken up against Gerrard or his team on something. This makes no sense otherwise.

Ming's had some really poor games last season, he lacks concentration. McGinn performed better than Ming's over the season. 

Gerrard has now shown he's going to be brutal in his search for consistency. It's a big risk but I'm impressed tbh.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It’s a bit shit that people on Twitter have decided to abuse him as if he’s in control of the decision. 

Whether we agree with the decision or not people seriously need to grow the hell up when it comes to abusing players.

• Like 3

Just now, Philosopher said:

The captain is there to lead and inspire on the pitch, not a spokesperson, otherwise any idiot could do the job.

Well as Ty lost 18 games last season as captain then maybe thats why he has changed it. We have to get rid of the losing mentiality . Btw  havent a clue why Martinez didnt get it . 

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But that is just arguing against McGinn. The purpose of my post is that people are only arguing against McGinn and n out offering any alternatives 

it's not like mings has just left or something. the alternative is the captain that we had in the first place for which many believe didn't deserve to lose it. the 2nd choice was martinez

look at the first few pages of the captaincy thread...don't think a single soul mentioned mcginn. even carlos got a few votes and he's only just signed for us!

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think him being made captain changes that.  Gerrard loves him so would’ve played him whether he was captain or not.

You are probably right. And that is where I see a problem. He is a decent player, and appears to be a thoroughly nice guy, but I just do not think he is good enough to be a nailed-on starter.

That is why I think it is a poor decision.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

It’s a bit shit that people on Twitter have decided to abuse him as if he’s in control of the decision. 

Whether we agree with the decision or not people seriously need to grow the hell up when it comes to abusing players.

I can't wrap my head around just how absolutely idiotic people are.

How in god's name does abusing our now " Captain " help him, or Aston Villa?

Regardless of thoughts on it.

🤦🏿‍♂️

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve seen what Ty has to say on the matter but has SJM said anything?

He will shortly, just getting his chicken suit on for the official interview, I'm told.

• Haha 1

I’m somewhat of a Gerrard apologist at times but he’s got this one really wrong, imo. McGinn shouldn’t be a guaranteed starter, let alone captain.

When he plays, I hope it can be in a 4-2-3-1 at times as I’m eager to see Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey together.

1 hour ago, sne said:

What does that mean? You already think we will have a poor season or that McGinn was a poor choice?

If not then scapegoat for what?

It means that we always need to have a player to exaggerate their limitations of during a period that isn’t deemed successful. There is always a player (or players) who will receive the brunt of the criticism and it will be OTT.

See; Tyrone Mings at England. Is he perfect? No. Is it basically ingrained in the public that Mings makes mistakes? Yes. And so he gets given a lot of criticism which goes beyond “normal” criticism.

The same thing is happening with McGinn. He “can’t keep a football” and is “fat”. Will be tough for those things to be shrugged off - which is unfair for the best tackler and creator in our midfield. But that’s what happens. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Our Twitter fans are utter shit tbh. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Bit of an overreaction mate. John McGinn being captain isn't going to put us into a relegation battle 

The weakest player in our team for 18 months that will start every week. We finished 14th last season

I said it before Gerrard buddy system will turn fans on fan favourite players

17 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I reckon Mings has spoken up against Gerrard or his team on something. This makes no sense otherwise.

They said the Captaincy was up for thought since when he arrived 

Not everything is a conspiracy ffs.

Whether it's the wrong or right decision is another thing altogether.

It's like some fans think that Football players , Management and so on are as petty or fickle as us on a message board ffs.

They are involved in a multimillion/billion dollar business .

It's just us who " assumed " it would stay with Ming's or go to Martinez.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Ming's had some really poor games last season, he lacks concentration. McGinn performed better than Ming's over the season. 

Gerrard has now shown he's going to be brutal in his search for consistency. It's a big risk but I'm impressed tbh.

Those poor performances were mostly under Smith. McGinn was average all season. Did very little to write home about. McGinn is not anywhere near being our best, or most undroppable player, or a natural leader, he is just a well liked guy that puts himself about.

I don't mind appointing a new captain if he would be a better captain, but I don’t see it. My problem with this is purely McGinn isn't a leader and shouldn't even be a starter if everyone is fit. I actually think we should be cashing in on him.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think it’s all down to the players though.  When you have the likes of Watkins, Ings, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Traore and JJ you should look better as an attacking force but we lack cohesion so often, we lack ideas and a way of playing.  That is largely a coaching issue because there is enough talent to look better than we are.  As I’ve said I don’t care who the captain is as I don’t think we have a true leader on the pitch but the other problems on the pitch concern me.  I think it’ll be a long frustrating season unfortunately, it’s the least excited I’ve been for a while.

We finished 7th highest scorers last season mate so I’m not entirely sure he isn’t using the forward players correctly. I agree we need to look better.  I’m pretty sure every fan outside City and Liverpool fans would say the same thing though. Think sometimes as fans we have to remember we are playing in the best league in the world by some distance atm. Spurs at home was the perfect example of this, we battered them and played very well but somehow got beat 4-0, it’s a ruthless league.  

I’m not defending Gerrard either but he needs time to get his own ideas across.

Just now, Philosopher said:

Those poor performances were mostly under Smith. McGinn was average all season. Did very little to write home about. McGinn is not anywhere near being our best, or most undroppable player, or a natural leader, he is just a well liked guy that puts himself about.

Statistically, you’re wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Our Twitter fans are utter shit tbh. 

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can't wrap my head around just how absolutely idiotic people are.

How in god's name does abusing our now " Captain " help him, or Aston Villa?

Regardless of thoughts on it.

🤦🏿‍♂️

The ironic thing is, when you click into some of these guys profiles they are grown men. 

It’s been a cesspit last summer and this summer on the AVFC hashtag, some of our fans are truly embarrassing 

• Sad 1

Â