Thierry Henry

TRO

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Smacks of RDM and owners who don't really know what they're doing, wanting to bring in their own man and a 'name'. 

I'm not going to judge him before seeing what he can do but I don't buy into things taking more than a year to become apparent. Potential is there to see fairly early on and patience is afforded when there are positive aspects to take from it. Just because Henry is new, it doesn't mean that he gets more time than anyone else. 

Part of what bothers me is if he bombs big time in the first few weeks. Henry is an Arsenal Legend and if we beleive what we read our new owners are regulars at Arsenal would they have the balls to sack an arsenal legend ? 

Also - I can't see Henry being in place before the weekend - that leaves him approx 2 weeks to bring some players in - If he doesn't, He will be working with someone elses players, which may buy him even more time, - I don't want Henry - but fear he will get a free pass for the first season whatever the results.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Part of what bothers me is if he bombs big time in the first few weeks. Henry is an Arsenal Legend and if we beleive what we read our new owners are regulars at Arsenal would they have the balls to sack an arsenal legend ? 

Also - I can't see Henry being in place before the weekend - that leaves him approx 2 weeks to bring some players in - If he doesn't, He will be working with someone elses players, which may buy him even more time, - I don't want Henry - but fear he will get a free pass for the first season whatever the results.

Ok what if he has a decent start but then goes 9 games without a win? It’s fine then isnt it? Well it was fine for Bruce anyway. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If we do get Henry, I'm looking forward to seeing how Andre Green will develop under him.

Bet he could teach Kodija a few things too. 

What a like about Henry is it seems like he is always trying to learn and improve. When he left Arsenal I would say he was the complete player. But even by his own admission he had a lot to learn and Pep taught him how to look at the game in a completely differently way. 

i have a good feeling about him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

I'd be happy for him to get a free pass if there were signs that we were building something  sustainable based on youth.

Thats very subjective though. If we were 4th bottom - But if Doyle-Hayes and Hepburn Murphy were playing well in the first team - is that signs of something sustainable ?

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't want Henry - but fear he will get a free pass for the first season whatever the results.

Well considering what has happened so far this summer I’d give any manager Bruce included a free pass billionaire new owners or not personally..... I just want to see progression and I don’t see Bruce delivering that imo  

Oui to Henry. Bruce failed to get us promoted with the most expensive squad in the division and we often looked very bad. I say let Henry impart his successes on the Villa players, get them playing some nice football and see what happens.

• Like 1

Just now, thabucks said:

Well considering what has happened so far this summer I’d give any manager Bruce included a free pass billionaire new owners or not personally..... I just want to see progression and I don’t see Bruce delivering that imo  

Yes I can see that point - our play in the final third was woeful for much of last season.

But for me there is no knowing how badly wrong it could go, a rookie untested manager, with a load of players that are probably the polar opposite of how he wants to play the game. I think we should stick with SB and be trying to poach Nathan Jones from Luton, if a young promising manager is what we are after. But Henry a week before the season starts .......well...not for me !

Henry will probably bomb and get sacked at Xmas to be replaced a steady Championship manager. Mick McCarthy to be appointed by January ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Henry will probably bomb and get sacked at Xmas to be replaced a steady Championship manager. Mick McCarthy to be appointed by January ?

Hope we push the boat out for big sam at xmas - (well October actually).

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Well sod a lot of you lot and your negativity. I for one am excited about the prospect of Henry. We know where Brucie's ceiling is, and it's with hoof ball and being a nearly team with some shocking winless runs, and some impressive runs of wins. For me, to get the furthest in anything you have to take gambles, sometimes they fall flat and sometimes they pay off... As a player Henry didn't really have a ceiling, he ended up banging the goals in for one of the biggest clubs in world football, playing under managers like Guardiola, Rijkaard and Wenger. He's clearly retained a lot from those days, you can tell just by the way he speaks about the game. He's a lover of the game, is well respected and could bring sexy back to Villa Park. If it doesn't work, fine, but at least we gave it a shot rather than sticking with Brucie and looking on with jealousy after someone like Monaco take him on and he turns out to be the next Deschamps. At least we gave it a shot.

Spot on!

• Like 2

If the plan is to install a young manager, who wants to play an attractive, entertaining style of football, and build a younger more sustainable squad - then I’m all for it. 

We know Bruce’s way, and it didn’t work last year - why would it work this year? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dirtysanchez said:

Henry as our new manager is a very scary thought, have we really learned nothing from our past mistakes? I’ll back him if he’s appointed but I really hope it is not the case. 

Perhaps we have learned from our mistakes and have decided that managers off the managerial gravy train have got us to where we are now and a complete change in culture is what we need. Risky yes, but to progress I feel we must take a different direction, and if that’s to be with Thierry Henry then fine. Fingers crossed, hang on and enjoy the ride. :flag:

• Like 1