World Cup : Group G (Eng, Bel, Pan, Tun)

BOF

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

I'm sure I read FIFA have said any players seen doing things like this intentionally, including getting yellows to miss a dead-rubber etc, will be banned for longer.

Yeah but they won't enforce that on teams like England or Belgium.

Tin foil hat time, WHAT IF England did the maths mid game and conceded the goal against Panama on purpose? Remember that the 6th was a total fluke of the heel of Kane, putting us ahead of Belgium on goal difference. WHAT IF England intentionally switched off for that free-kick to draw level on GD, meaning Belgium couldn't play for a draw while we played for a loss giving them the upper hand. WHAT IF that goal was let in to even up the playing field in terms of throwing the last game.

giphy.gif

Disclaimer: I don't actually think this

• Haha 1

I think it was in the 1999-2000 season that Alan Wright was trying to get one more yellow, so as to get his suspension out of the way before the Cup Final. Can't remember who we were playing (even though I was there!), but it was hilarious. He kept committing fouls until the ref couldn't ignore it anymore, and finally booked him, both of them visibly laughing, to cheering from the Holte. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I'm sure I read FIFA have said any players seen doing things like this intentionally, including getting yellows to miss a dead-rubber etc, will be banned for longer.

And how in the name of jayzus would they be able to categorically determine that it was done by design.  That looks great on paper, but in reality it's nonsense.  Any player out to do that would be clever enough to do it in a scenario where the tackle seemed plausible.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

And how in the name of jayzus would they be able to categorically determine that it was done by design.  That looks great on paper, but in reality it's nonsense.  Any player out to do that would be clever enough to do it in a scenario where the tackle seemed plausible.

Dunno. Remember Luis Suarez trying to get booked in that game for Barca so he missed Las Palmas before Atleti? The ref refused to book him for maybe 5 or 6 incidents that were worthy of a yellow in the last 10 minutes of the game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Dunno. Remember Luis Suarez trying to get booked in that game for Barca so he missed Las Palmas before Atleti? The ref refused to book him for maybe 5 or 6 incidents that were worthy of a yellow in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Yeah that was hilarious.

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Exactly like the Alan Wright scenario I described above - except that it eventually worked (and the F.A. didn't seem to care). 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Exactly like the Alan Wright scenario I described above - except that it eventually worked (and the F.A. didn't seem to care). 

I think there are 2 reasons England-Belgium differs from the above.  The first is that discipline is a tie-breaker in this world cup, so a yellow could change your next opponent.  That wasn't the case in the Wright (or Suarez) scenario.  Secondly, AFAICR there was no pre-match warning for Wright not to do it, so he wasn't going against any edict.  Whereas there is now an explicit warning in place from FIFA, meaning you'd be doing something you've been told not to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Tin foil hat time, WHAT IF England did the maths mid game and conceded the goal against Panama on purpose? Remember that the 6th was a total fluke of the heel of Kane, putting us ahead of Belgium on goal difference. WHAT IF England intentionally switched off for that free-kick to draw level on GD, meaning Belgium couldn't play for a draw while we played for a loss giving them the upper hand. WHAT IF that goal was let in to even up the playing field in terms of throwing the last game.

Disclaimer: I don't actually think this

Indeed, and maybe that is why John Stones has been pretending to switch off for the past 2 years and allowing silly goals to be conceded. It didn't raise any suspicions at all because it was just a "John Stones thing"

Gareth Southgate is the second coming, I tell you!

57 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think there are 2 reasons England-Belgium differs from the above.  The first is that discipline is a tie-breaker in this world cup, so a yellow could change your next opponent.  That wasn't the case in the Wright (or Suarez) scenario.  Secondly, AFAICR there was no pre-match warning for Wright not to do it, so he wasn't going against any edict.  Whereas there is now an explicit warning in place from FIFA, meaning you'd be doing something you've been told not to do.

Oh, absolutely. I was comparing the Wright scenario with the Suarez one, not this WC. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

Very hard to prove, a professional player could easier cover it up.

Â