World Cup : Group G (Eng, Bel, Pan, Tun)

BOF

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think that win was better than many naysayers are giving England credit for. 

Seems to be a lot of the same people (not on VT I may add) that were slating England when Belgium beat Tunisia 5-1 saying it showed that our win against them wasn't any good.

Weird how it doesn't work the other way!

Don't get me wrong, Belgium are still a better team, imo. But I don't think there's been too much difference in the performances.

Slightly disappointingly, in a way, the game between the two of us won't be much of a measure either I'd imagine.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Seems to be a lot of the same people (not on VT I may add) that were slating England when Belgium beat Tunisia 5-1 saying it showed that our win against them wasn't any good.

Weird how it doesn't work the other way!

Don't get me wrong, Belgium are still a better team, imo. But I don't think there's been too much difference in the performances.

Slightly disappointingly, in a way, the game between the two of us won't be much of a measure either I'd imagine.

England struggled to break down Tunisia and Belgium struggled to break down Panama.  The common denominator was that it was game 1 of a world cup group stage and all sides went into it quite tentatively.  Italy were always doing that in group stages.  People making criticisms off the back of the first game don't know what they're talking about.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

England struggled to break down Tunisia and Belgium struggled to break down Panama.  The common denominator was that it was game 1 of a world cup group stage and all sides went into it quite tentatively.  Italy were always doing that in group stages.  People making criticisms off the back of the first game don't know what they're talking about.

Exactly. Tunisia vs England was worlds apart from Tunisia vs Belgium.

A point was fine for Tunisia vs us and the way they played reflected that. They attacked a lot more vs Belgium and paid for it.

Same with Panama. They'd have probably settled for a point vs us but once we scored the early goal they were doomed really

I've been very impressed with all the set piece routines, clearly a lot of work has been done on the training pitch.

We look very dangerous from them, and it goes without saying they could be key in tight games.

On 24/06/2018 at 15:06, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think Harry Kane is a shoe in for the golden boot, one more goal and that could probably do it

I think Ronaldo will get at least one in every game he’s plays, so that’s at least 2 more. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a brace tonight to put him back top. 

Its been a high scoring tournament so far so could see golden boot having at least 7.

29 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It was, but it was made for sterling to score and he still fluffed it

He did, but I don't think it was a coincidence that Stones was right behind him. I think that was deliberate for either and overhit cross or a rebound.

It was a brilliant move.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He did, but I don't think it was a coincidence that Stones was right behind him. I think that was deliberate for either and overhit cross or a rebound.

It was a brilliant move.

Indeed. But let’s focus on Sterling. Much more fun. Boooo, Sterling, booo! 

It’s my birthday Thursday and normally when an England game falls on or around my birthday there is a hell of a lot more riding on it. It’s surreal the Belgium game being a bit of a dead rubber. Still having friends and family round for pizza and beer but it won’t end in heartbreak for a change!

Belgium potentially resting up to 10 players with Hazard and Lukaku carrying knocks and De Bruine and a few others having yellow cards.

Guessing England will do the same?

1 hour ago, sne said:

Belgium potentially resting up to 10 players with Hazard and Lukaku carrying knocks and De Bruine and a few others having yellow cards.

Guessing England will do the same?

Would fully expect a brain dead moron like Roberto Martinez to do that.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Too scared to face a rampant England. ???

• Haha 1

keep winning, england are playing really well so far but we're not good enough to start being clever, beat belgium, ride high ans see where we go

if the mentality kicks in that losing to belgium is ok and now its easier we will come undone 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

There's a good chance we might be better off finishing 2nd. Not sure what we should do in that situation? 

Well you play before your 2nd round opponents do, so it's the toss of a coin.

EDIT : My mistake.  You play after them, so you'll know exactly what's needed.

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's a good chance we might be better off finishing 2nd. Not sure what we should do in that situation? 

I think there's a very very good chance it's better to finish 2nd.

Second round isn't certain. I think Japan will top the group as Poland look terrible so expect Japan to get something from them. If that happens then winning the group could very well give us a second round of Colombia followed by a QF of Brazil/Germany

Finishing Second would give us a second round of Japan followed by probably Mexico/Switzerland/Serbia.

By the time we kick off it'll be clear what the better route is. If germany and Colombia end up winning their groups then obviously go all out for the win. If not then I really do see the benefit of resting players

Yeah but let's say it is better to finish second. Both England and Belgium will want to not win. What kind of a football match is that going to be? Will be fascinating to see how that game will play out. 

I mean, what if they score an own goal? Do we then go and score one too? :lol: 

Edited by PieFacE

Â