World Cup : Group D (Arg, Ice, Cro, Nga)

BOF

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Dunno his hat trick got them to the finals and they lose a huge chunk of their games when he's not playing.  There are way too many faults with the team really. 

The way he's performed the first two games makes you wonder...

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Dunno his hat trick got them to the finals and they lose a huge chunk of their games when he's not playing.  There are way too many faults with the team really. 

he was the only argie to score in a competitive game for 19 months in the build up to the world cup, he more than did his part in getting them here

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

thats where your management comes in to it, as good as dybala has been for juve messi has been better for barca and the argies, find a way of fitting them both in, playing dybala out on the right isnt it

to me at times tonight they looked like the last couple of england teams, didnt want to be there, not enjoying it and therefore not working or playing for each other

It's all a bit irrelevant if you can't get the ball that far up the pitch as the midfield is non existent.  Try playing from the back and your goalkeeper chips it to their striker, then has to hoof it for the rest of the game to midget strikers.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats where your management comes in to it, as good as dybala has been for juve messi has been better for barca and the argies, find a way of fitting them both in, playing dybala out on the right isnt it

to me at times tonight they looked like the last couple of england teams, didnt want to be there, not enjoying it and therefore not working or playing for each other

They are really similar to England in 2010 I think. Structure all wrong so star names don't matter when it's like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm not denying his importance to the team or his quality but he's no leader, imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If you put the armband on Mascherano does it make any difference?

Messi looks like he doesn't want to be there. Completely disoriented and disinterested at times. At least that's how it looks to the outside. No way is he a great, or even a good leader.

Edited by AVTuco

He didn't look right even during the anthem. Whole Argentina team looked like nervous wrecks when the camera was going past them.

He feels the pressure way too much playing for them and attempts to do more than he should. Again little bit like Rooney so often for England.

The Argentinian team had a family barbecue with wives and kids to celebrate the Argentinian Fathers Day this Sunday trying to raise the spirits after the Iceland result.

Apparently Messi didn't show and opted to stay in his room.

I know he's under immense pressure, but he really isn't helping his cause.

• Like 1

I was watching Messi quite closely tonight and he literally walked through this match, and not in a good way.

Very disappointing from him for large parts of the game, but to say he is not a leader is to overlook his efforts with Barcelona.

Admittedly I have seen only a handful of his matches for Argentina, in that time I have seen him determined and brilliant.

Just wasn't there for his team tonight. Had maybe two or three flashes of what he is capable of but dealt with easily enough by Croatia.

Croatia punished three lapses, the first a decision and the second two were effort and positioning.

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

croatia manager confirms in his post match interview he will rest players for the iceland game :lol:

to be fair to them based on what i've seen croatia would beat france in the 2nd round if they got them

Don't really blame him. They picked up a few yellows tonight so pointless playing someone like Mandzukic and losing him for knock outs if he gets another yellow card.

Croatia have been an excellent side for a long time. I get a sense that they feel its their time right now. Brilliant performance, their shape was flawless all night. Well drilled side who will take some stopping imo. They have so much energy, strength and invention in that side. Their pressing game was forcing Argentina to buckle all game, even at 2 and 3-0 in the 90th minute they were chasing down hunting the ball in packs. Ruthless, shame Bilic is with ITV this tournament; wanted to see his reaction

• Like 2

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

croatia manager confirms in his post match interview he will rest players for the iceland game :lol:

to be fair to them based on what i've seen croatia would beat france in the 2nd round if they got them

Not for me. France havent played well yet have won both their games. France have a bet gifted squad. I'm tipping them to win it.

Messi was a disgrace last night, shocking attitude and a complete inability to take the game by the scruff of the neck. I recall a faded Maradona at Italia 90, in a tight game with Brazil, receiving the ball at the centre circle in the last minute, going past 3 players and putting it on a plate for Caniggia to score. Messi just not the same sort of leader that Maradona was.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

On the flip side, how good was Modric tonight? Did he even misplace one pass? Total masterclass, played like Scholes/Pirlo/Xavi all rolled into one.

Have to wonder if Croatia get to quarter finals he could be serious Ballon Dor contender

Unless Ronaldo gets Golden Boot

Apparently Sampaioli is facing a player revolt in the Argentina squad (way to shift the blame guys)

He could be sacked and replaced by 86 hero Jorge Burruchaga before the last group game against Nigeria according to Argentinian press

Â