18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Disappointing.  When you consider forest had ten men we should have killed them off but when you have  terrible keeper its always going to be a disadvantage. 

Was Elmo offside for the 2nd disallowed goal? Looked tight to me. In all fairness forest deserved a point out of that. If i had my way I would have villa and forest as the two teams to go up.have a bit of a soft spot for forest. 

Good luck to them. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Disappointing.  When you consider forest had ten men we should have killed them off but when you have  terrible keeper its always going to be a disadvantage. 

Was Elmo offside for the 2nd disallowed goal? Looked tight to me. In all fairness forest deserved a point out of that. If i had my way I would have villa and forest as the two teams to go up.have a bit of a soft spot for forest. 

Good luck to them. 

Elmo was onside and should have scored - it was Abraham flagged offside for the follow up - had Elmo put it in the net the goal would have stood .

Top 2 is still very much achievable but we cannot continue to gift silly goals - defence and keeper need to be sorted - next 4 games are crucial and will tell us a lot about this team 

Edited by Eastie

After the Nottingham Forest game Aston Villa have 28 points out of a possible 57. The final projected points total will currently be 68 points that is points after 46 games. Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 11th.

There is still 81 points to play for giving us a maximum potential points haul of 109 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the appointment of Dean Smith the new projected points total would be 78 points that is points after 46 games. That has included (Before Smith) of 1.25 PPG from Steve Bruce and the current 2 PPG from the Saviour (After Smith). Using 1.85PPG over the remaining 27 games. 

Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 5th

• Thanks 1

I have absolutely no doubt we'll finish in the playoff spots at least. Autos is the tricky part. You have to go on Fulham-esque runs to close the gap on the top as they're going to be winning too. But if we get within touching distance like we did around January last season, then I'm backing us.

Even if we do end up in the playoffs I'd be confident instead of bricking it that we'll turn up to Wembley looking to "contain" our opponents and then not be able to score once we inevitably go behind.

1 hour ago, honest_bertie said:

Steve Bruce was a terible manager who served his own needs over the teams. The level of incompetance he was at by the time he got the sack (lack of coaching, lack of prep, defence etc etc). Should have voided any sort of pay off for him and his staff.

Dean Smith has come in, got us scoring more, winning more and playing 10 times better football. Currently there really is no negatives we can throw at DS, he’s done more than an amazing job so far. 

Would i rather take a 1-0 SB win over last night. No - because i would still be shi**ing it that we were going to let one in at any point. With DS currently yeh its nervy every time we get attacked but everytime we attack theres the chance, belief and feeling we migh score. 

I’d rather be bold as we are at the moment and let a few more in than play with the caution and fear SB had instilled, and anyway we were losing more when he was in chatge anyway!

carry on Dean, 100% with ya mate.

This a 10000%

• Like 1

It’s been said before and no doubt I’ll say similar later in the season, but December looks like it will be the defining month.

Six games, five of whom are arguably against promotion rivals, certainly three are. If we’re a similar number points away or less from automatics after this month then I think we’ll have a real chance.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Drop Hourihane i honestly think our best team is this

---------------------I don't **** know---------------------

Hutton-----Tuanzebe--------Chester-------------Taylor

----------------------------Bjarnason---------------------------------

--------------------McGinn--------Grealish------------------------

Adomah---------------------Abraham---------------Kodjia

28 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

After the Nottingham Forest game Aston Villa have 28 points out of a possible 57. The final projected points total will currently be 68 points that is points after 46 games. Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 11th.

There is still 81 points to play for giving us a maximum potential points haul of 109 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the appointment of Dean Smith the new projected points total would be 78 points that is points after 46 games. That has included (Before Smith) of 1.25 PPG from Steve Bruce and the current 2 PPG from the Saviour (After Smith). Using 1.85PPG over the remaining 27 games. 

Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 5th

I would take that right now. Reckon we might just fall short of the play offs this year though.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I would take that right now. Reckon we might just fall short of the play offs this year though.

I think we have every chance of top 2 although the next 4 games will be crucial to that aim - the gap is small and we will improve ,most teams above us lack the squads to cope with injuries and suspension 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I think we have every chance of top 2 although the next 4 games will be crucial to that aim - the gap is small and we will improve ,most teams above us lack the squads to cope with injuries and suspension 

I think thats an almighty ask for any manager coming in mid season - Hope your right - but I would be more than happy with play offs. 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We're not getting anywhere near top 2 with this defense and keeper.

Sorry but it's not realistic.

agreed. I just hope we can minimize the damage up until the transfer window opens and take it from there.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We're not getting anywhere near top 2 with this defense and keeper.

Sorry but it's not realistic.

We are not exactly miles away now and we have a transfer window only 5 games away - any of the top 8 could realistically aim for a top 2 finish , there is no stand out team and we are not stuck with this defence and keeper until May .

we have the opportunity to close the gap on boro Albion and Leeds in coming games and could be right in the mix with a transfer window to come .

We are 8th with 27 games to go and we will get better defensively once smith can bring in additions . I saw enough at derby to show me this team can compete with anyone in this division 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

yes it's not an impossible task as it stands, but should we continue with Nyland and our defense as it stands then I wouldn't count on it. as I said, minimize the damage done by our defense (looking at our offense here..) up until January and then we'll see. I still have hope.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Chester also needs the sack, the guy seem to have absolutely lost it

Begrudgingly this is right. I loved Chester and he has had some good games for us, but at the moment hes as much a liability as Nyland for letting teams just waltz through.

30 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Begrudgingly this is right. I loved Chester and he has had some good games for us, but at the moment hes as much a liability as Nyland for letting teams just waltz through.

It's the new role. He can't do his moping up job that he's so good at. 

This new role is more suited to a more traditional big un and fast un partnership as the opposition will often be straight into them as soon as they win the ball.

Just hoping the team can adapt.

We are about half way through this tough run of games and have taken 7 points which is a good return considering how we started the season, another 7 from our next 3 will see us in the play offs. Top 2 still more than capable for us but we really need to stop these sloppy goals we are conceding. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, osmark86 said:

agreed. I just hope we can minimize the damage up until the transfer window opens and take it from there.

A christmas transfer window won't magically fix everything. New arrivals need time to adapt to our style of play, getting used to the squad.

I don't expect anything this season. Next season is when i will truly judge Smith.