Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Is he the Mosab Hassan Yousef that was working for the IDF and Israeli secret service as an informant and spy? The one that whilst being paid by Israel said Islam was like nazism. Which of course, we are all banned from saying in the other direction as that is literally one of the proofs of anti semitism.

If he is, then whatever he says on that tweet I’d absolutely fully trust it to be fair and balanced and well worth a listen… yep.

Did he say anything wrong? Isn't it biased to completely ignore what someone "on the other side" has to say?

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t listen to or watch random tweets from unknown people or accounts or pay rolled spies on either ‘side’. I wouldn’t listen to his words if he was on the Hamas payroll either.

I’m not convinced people on either ‘side’ should be given too much credence as if they have a side then by definition they cannot be right.

There should be a free independent Palestinian state, no ifs, no buts.

There should be a free independent Israel, no ifs, no buts.

The detail is quite tricky, we can all see that.

Biden seems to push this narrative in the news tonight, thank God.

It seems everyone’s had enough of the blood feud.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t listen to or watch random tweets from unknown people or accounts or pay rolled spies on either ‘side’. I wouldn’t listen to his words if he was on the Hamas payroll either.

I’m not convinced people on either ‘side’ should be given too much credence as if they have a side then by definition they cannot be right.

The detail is quite tricky, we can all see that.

I don’t think any of this is arguable.

The issue has always been defining the borders of said states. Especially when Israel has been busy allowing its people to settle in areas they know are illegal and you’ve got idiot people singing about “from the river to the sea” nonsense that is basically code for you know what.

16 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I don’t think any of this is arguable.

The issue has always been defining the borders of said states. Especially when Israel has been busy allowing its people to settle in areas they know are illegal and you’ve got idiot people singing about “from the river to the sea” nonsense that is basically code for you know what.

Defining the borders isn’t helped by the daily theft of land, homes, businesses by settlers under the protection of the IDF. With the likes of the U.S. and ourselves unable to even hint that ethnic cleansing might be a bad thing.

You can only hope that what we say in public is markedly different to what we say in private diplomatic and governmental communications. Israel is currently acting in a way that suggests absolute confidence that no matter how far it over steps the line, its international friends have its back.

There appear to be two setttings at present, either life goes quiet the spotlight is off and Israel slowly takes more and more. Or, there is a terrorist attack and we all agree Israel has the right to defend itself.

This latest loss of lives has to be the start of a genuine peace process where settlers are removed by Israel and rockets are removed by Palestinians. It’s a disgrace on the international community that its taken 10,000 dead for this to be back on the agenda.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Defining the borders isn’t helped by the daily theft of land, homes, businesses by settlers under the protection of the IDF. With the likes of the U.S. and ourselves unable to even hint that ethnic cleansing might be a bad thing.

You can only hope that what we say in public is markedly different to what we say in private diplomatic and governmental communications. Israel is currently acting in a way that suggests absolute confidence that no matter how far it over steps the line, its international friends have its back.

There appear to be two setttings at present, either life goes quiet the spotlight is off and Israel slowly takes more and more. Or, there is a terrorist attack and we all agree Israel has the right to defend itself.

This latest loss of lives has to be the start of a genuine peace process where settlers are removed by Israel and rockets are removed by Palestinians. It’s a disgrace on the international community that its taken 10,000 dead for this to be back on the agenda.

Agreed, Arafat and Rabin are likely turning in their graves. They pulled the discourse and discussion so far with willpower only for idiots on both sides to ruin 30 years of work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Indeed.

However it does *feel* that the people who don't want the first is restricted to the radical fringes of right-wing parties in Israel and abroad (admittedly, some of whom hold an unfortunate amount of power)

Whereas the people who don't want the second, while holding a lot less power, are a lot more common.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Indeed.

However it does *feel* that the people who don't want the first is restricted to the radical fringes of right-wing parties in Israel and abroad (admittedly, some of whom hold an unfortunate amount of power)

Whereas the people who don't want the second, while holding a lot less power, are a lot more common.

I wouldn’t pretend to understand the politics of the Middle East, and all the various groups and factions and agendas and all that. 

You have to wonder if Gaza was less influenced by Iran, would it be further along the road to progress, or completely forgotten?

Not a clue!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wish that were true.

I think those spilling the blood might have had enough. Politicians, high officers and the military industry in cosy offices might feel differently. 

Has Israel intimated what their detailed and budgeted plan is for after they’ve extinguished Hamas?

Highly industrialised military nations always have an exhaustive post conflict plan for what happens once the bombing stops.

No way would we have had the positive results in Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq without that plan, so will be interesting to see Israel’s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Has Israel intimated what their detailed and budgeted plan is for after they’ve extinguished Hamas?

Highly industrialised military nations always have an exhaustive post conflict plan for what happens once the bombing stops.

No way would we have had the positive results in Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq without that plan, so will be interesting to see Israel’s.

Turn all of Gaza into a defined military zone? 

Don't trust twitter about anything but if this is real it might give an insight to what the Israel plan has been for a while now. 2001...

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Did we have a "positive" result in Afghanistan?, Libya is still a mess and its has taken years for Iraq to "recover".

I am fairly sure that "Highly industrialised military nations always have an exhaustive post conflict plan for what happens once the bombing stops", is a logical thing to state, but of all the recent conflicts there doesn't appear to be any evidence of a "plan" of what comes next after the bombing.

The bombing and killing is the easy part what comes after is far more difficult to achieve especially long term.

The videos coming out of the bombings are the worst things I've ever seen. I do think they should be played on every news channel though, so that everyone can see what is really going on. Just hearing or reading about it isn't enough.

I'll be giving my kids an extra big hug when they get home later.

14 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

The videos coming out of the bombings are the worst things I've ever seen. I do think they should be played on every news channel though, so that everyone can see what is really going on. Just hearing or reading about it isn't enough.

I'll be giving my kids an extra big hug when they get home later.

I'm the other way on this. I mean I agree it's harrowing. But I don't need/want to see it. I'm quite content imbibing my daily dose of murder and genocide through conversation and in print.

Â