New Manager Speculation

maqroll

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think it makes sense. You can disagree that it's a gamble worth taking, but the logic is sound. I don't want Bruce so I'll take a gamble on someone who might be good.

But it's a gamble based on nothing. This is my point.

it's like picking a horse to bet on in the grand national by picking it out of a hat.

Yeah it MIGHT win. But based on what? Just because it's not this other horse that you don't like?

• Like 1

Is it just me that would rather have a new CEO before we even think about what we do with the manager? 

If Wes Edens and Nassef are picking the manager it feels like we could well end up with another RDM. 

CEO should be our absolute priority. Pick a good one of those and it will set the club in the right direction for years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But it's a gamble based on nothing. This is my point.

it's like picking a horse to bet on in the grand national by picking it out of a hat.

Yeah it MIGHT win. But based on what? Just because it's not this other horse that you don't like?

It's like being tired of betting on a losing horse you picked (whatever the equivalent of 2 Championship seasons is :lol: ) times, and trying your luck with a young untested horse that has shown promise in training. Yeah it might even come in last place (and thus you'd be losing money just like you were before) but it could also be a winner.  Doesn't sound like a bad gamble to me.

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Thierry Henry manager, John Terry assistant for an all Terry front line.

Arsene Wenger DOF. 

First signing Lionel Messi. 

All small change when you’re a proper big club with rich owners. ?

come on Dave.....don't sit on the fence, go for it.

lets sign the French national team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's like being tired of betting on a losing horse you picked (whatever the equivalent of 2 Championship seasons is :lol: ) times, and trying your luck with a young untested horse that has shown promise in training. Yeah it might even come in last place (and thus you'd be losing money just like you were before) but it could also be a winner.  Doesn't sound like a bad gamble to me.

or a horse thats just come second, by a nose.

could be well fancied next time out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We cant sign anybody permanent once UK window is closed

Technically we kind of could..

Get them on a years loan with the option to make it permanent at the end if the loan (If we wanted them still).  ;)

1 minute ago, TRO said:

or a horse thats just come second, by a nose.

could be well fancied next time out.

Depends who it goes up against...

What I mean by that is.. Bruce has not got the players/team that he had last season..

For me it wouldn't even make the frame next time out.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

come on Dave.....don't sit on the fence, go for it.

lets sign the French national team.

Ok MBappe to play alongside Messi and Pogba in midfield to help Jack out. But that’s it for now, we need to build in a measured and sustainable way. 

You need to calm down TRO, getting all over excited at your age......?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think it makes sense. You can disagree that it's a gamble worth taking, but the logic is sound. I don't want Bruce so I'll take a gamble on someone who might be good.

What logic?

If we're dealing in facts then you're advocating replacing a guy with significant experience for a guy who has never managed ANYONE.

He's spent 1 year or so as Assistant Manager for Belgium, Managers do naff all for most of the year at international level, how much do you think an Assistant does?

25 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

How many times does it need to be said that Dean Smith is not a manager - at Brenford he is pretty much just a head coach. We have literally nothing in place that would make this guy anything but completely out of his depth.

It's literally groundhog day.

People have even gone to great lengths to try and explain why but still, every couple of weeks someone chirps in with Dean Smith and it all starts over again.

Gotta love social media aint ya.

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

How many times does it need to be said that Dean Smith is not a manager - at Brenford he is pretty much just a head coach. We have literally nothing in place that would make this guy anything but completely out of his depth.

Isn't a head coach what we need at the moment. If we're not splashing the cash, and we're looking to get more out of our existing squad What's wrong with DS?

Our new owners will think carefully about appointing the right CEO, DOF etc. but Smith (or someone like him) can get on with the basics in the mean time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What logic?

If we're dealing in facts then you're advocating replacing a guy with significant experience for a guy who has never managed ANYONE.

He's spent 1 year or so as Assistant Manager for Belgium, Managers do naff all for most of the year at international level, how much do you think an Assistant does?

I think your missing the most important fact of all.

He's not Steve Bruce.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

He's not Steve Bruce.

I don't know if this is serious or not but I know for sure that there are many people here who literally look at it this way.

Like if tomorrow, we announced that Kevin Keegan was Manager, people would still be happy 'because it's not SB'.

I don't get it, and I know I'm in the minority but I just don't get it.

We came up short last season, that's beyond doubt and argument, but I enjoyed last season and, for the most part I enjoyed watching us play, I enjoyed winning regularly for the first time in a long time, I enjoyed VP becoming something of a fortress, I enjoyed watching a togetherness and camaraderie that's been sorely lacking for years, I enjoyed watching Grealish mature into something like the player we all thought he would be, I enjoyed watching people like Terry and Snodgrass come and ingrain themselves into the club (despite both knowing it would be a short term relationship), I enjoyed the renewed sense of optimism throughout the club.

I don't attribute all of that solely to SB but surely it's not in doubt that he played a large part in all of that?

Again, I know I'm in the minority but I don't see why we can't get promoted this season under SB, one or two shrewd signings and the emergence of one or two of the youngsters (who last season, everyone was calling for) and we could have as strong a squad on paper as last season.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

He's not Steve Bruce.

This. I've pretty much already written this season off in terms of promotion prospects, so we might as well use this opportunity to try and bring someone in who can try to instil a style of play and positive mentality in to the club. Bruce would be better served working at a club  who are there or thereabouts and will spend a decent amount of money to try and get promoted. He needs that. Bruce will not leave us in a better state than we are in now and he could end up impacting next season as well if he stays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know. And I've been so uninterested in Villa this summer that I haven't given it much thought as it's seemed obvious Bruce will be our manager next season (and he still will be imo)

If it's Henry then I'll be intrigued and excited by a new manager. But I don't think it will be

You'll be excited? based on what though ?

It all basically boils down to you don't want Bruce, so you're happy to have Henry because he MIGHT be good.

I mean, he might be a **** disaster too.

That's fine. it makes no sense, but you're entitled to your opinion so let's just agree to disagree.

The two don't have to be related as you make out. Again with this "anyone but Bruce" Narrative. Why can't it be I think our manager has failed over nearly 2 seasons and I would like a change in direction and I don't think Bruce is the main for that. If the new direction is a different style of football, we need a different type of manager. This is a new manager thread, yet you seem so objectionable  to the discussions of a new manager. Maybe this isn't the thread for you ha!! 

If I could choose I'd like AVB, Oscar Garcia, Arteta, people of that ilk. Henry is the unknown and yes that excites me, It doesn't have to make sense to you. You've just said in your next post you'd be excited, so I don't see how it 'makes no sense' But hey ho!! 

Exactly. We could appoint Joey Barton, or John Terry, or El Hadji Diouf, or Didier Drogba etc etc

All of these would be new, young, modern managers. The logic above puts them all on the same playing field. They're all unknown so go for it!

Now I"m not saying we should go for tried and tested. I'm all for giving a new person a go, and if the club interview people and are convinced someone like Henry is the way to go then that's fine with me. I'll support them as much as the next guy.

But again I just don't know why people on VT want Henry when we know nothing about him as a manager. But I think it's becoming clear that it's just because he's not Steve Bruce. And the fact that an unknown quantity has the possibility of being amazing.

It has a larger possibility of being terrible, but I get why people would ignore that for optimism's sake.

Just after saying "you'll be intrigued and excited" if it is Henry,  yet it's all about anyone but Bruce. Not ONE person has said Henry is the man or their preferred choice, or that he would even be good. They've all said they'd be 'excited' which is what ermmmm........you said!!! ?