New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

This is hard work, but I'll try again. I don't know if he will do a good job anymore than you know he will do a bad one. I think you're putting everyone in your own shoes and assuming we all think the same as you. Maybe when you have a view on something it has to be with a caveat of being 'confident' it will have a good outcome. Sometimes you just HOPE. That's what hope is. I'm excited by the link and whether it's him or someone like Dean Smith or 'A other' it's all about hoping. I 'think' he would do a good job, but of course I can't be confident of that anymore than anyone can. We were told last year and the year before "Not even Pep could get this lot playing" etc etc!! 

It's all about opinions, is it cool to just disagree? I can want something without having to be confident or KNOW he will do a good job, you need a little more, that's ok. It is a gamble, all changes are (especially it would seem at Villa) 

I can't explain it better than that. I like the idea of a young modern coach with fresh ideas getting the job and taking us in a completely different direction. I'm ok staying in the Championship if we build a playing style that is mirrored throughout the club and we build slowly and do it over a few years. I simply don't want we've had the past two years. That for me is not how I want our clubs vision to be. 

I have no idea who will WORK and be a success, but I have a desire to have some excitement and I see Henry as that, Terry also (I was jealous of Lampard at Derby, I have no idea how he will do) So it's not anyone BUT Bruce, its a complete change club wide from what we have been doing and stand for over the last 10 years. 

So I don't get your view and you don't get mine, but I respect it and we'll have to agree to disagree, as I don't think you 'get it' that sheer blind hope for change and some excitement as a fan and that's not a criticism at all. I get that some fans are way more pragmatic. Bruce has failed for me. so I do want a new man. It doesn't have to be Henry for me, but I'd like it. 

It all basically boils down to you don't want Bruce, so you're happy to have Henry because he MIGHT be good.

I mean, he might be a **** disaster too.

That's fine. it makes no sense, but you're entitled to your opinion so let's just agree to disagree.

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

Let me ask you Steve who YOU would take a chance on? You say you aren't a Bruce keeper, so therefore open to a new guy, so who would you get that's 'gettable' ?? 

I don't know. And I've been so uninterested in Villa this summer that I haven't given it much thought as it's seemed obvious Bruce will be our manager next season (and he still will be imo)

If it's Henry then I'll be intrigued and excited by a new manager. But I don't think it will be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It was exactly that kind of thinking that got us where we are too.......Sherwood/Garde et al.

Exactly. We could appoint Joey Barton, or John Terry, or El Hadji Diouf, or Didier Drogba etc etc

All of these would be new, young, modern managers. The logic above puts them all on the same playing field. They're all unknown so go for it!

Now I"m not saying we should go for tried and tested. I'm all for giving a new person a go, and if the club interview people and are convinced someone like Henry is the way to go then that's fine with me. I'll support them as much as the next guy.

But again I just don't know why people on VT want Henry when we know nothing about him as a manager. But I think it's becoming clear that it's just because he's not Steve Bruce. And the fact that an unknown quantity has the possibility of being amazing.

It has a larger possibility of being terrible, but I get why people would ignore that for optimism's sake.

Edited by Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know. And I've been so uninterested in Villa this summer that I haven't given it much thought as it's seemed obvious Bruce will be our manager next season (and he still will be imo)

If it's Henry then I'll be intrigued and excited by a new manager. But I don't think it will be

Perfectly summed up for me.

I expect nothing where Villa are concerned now (even the inevitable turgid football under Bruce brings a shrug to my shoulders), can't be disappointed when the fit hits the shan then can we?!

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Ah ....Dean smith who has midtable finishes with Brentford and Walsall and concede goals for Fun  - its a wonder no one has snapped him already !

Forced to sell Jota, Dean, Colin, Vibe..Henry out practically all season and finish 9th with an outside chance of getting playoffs in their penultimate game. Yeah what an absolute spoofer eh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

This is hard work, but I'll try again. I don't know if he will do a good job anymore than you know he will do a bad one. I think you're putting everyone in your own shoes and assuming we all think the same as you. Maybe when you have a view on something it has to be with a caveat of being 'confident' it will have a good outcome. Sometimes you just HOPE. That's what hope is. I'm excited by the link and whether it's him or someone like Dean Smith or 'A other' it's all about hoping. I 'think' he would do a good job, but of course I can't be confident of that anymore than anyone can. We were told last year and the year before "Not even Pep could get this lot playing" etc etc!! 

It's all about opinions, is it cool to just disagree? I can want something without having to be confident or KNOW he will do a good job, you need a little more, that's ok. It is a gamble, all changes are (especially it would seem at Villa) 

I can't explain it better than that. I like the idea of a young modern coach with fresh ideas getting the job and taking us in a completely different direction. I'm ok staying in the Championship if we build a playing style that is mirrored throughout the club and we build slowly and do it over a few years. I simply don't want we've had the past two years. That for me is not how I want our clubs vision to be. 

I have no idea who will WORK and be a success, but I have a desire to have some excitement and I see Henry as that, Terry also (I was jealous of Lampard at Derby, I have no idea how he will do) So it's not anyone BUT Bruce, its a complete change club wide from what we have been doing and stand for over the last 10 years. 

So I don't get your view and you don't get mine, but I respect it and we'll have to agree to disagree, as I don't think you 'get it' that sheer blind hope for change and some excitement as a fan and that's not a criticism at all. I get that some fans are way more pragmatic. Bruce has failed for me. so I do want a new man. It doesn't have to be Henry for me, but I'd like it. 

Yeah makes sense.

Bruce has done a poor job since he's been here so why anyone would want him to stay I'm unsure.

I'd rather take a punt than have to watch putrid football getting worse results than we should be.

If Bruce stays and Grealish goes, we're in big trouble.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Forced to sell Jota, Dean, Colin, Vibe..Henry out practically all season and finish 9th with an outside chance of getting playoffs in their penultimate game. Yeah what an absolute spoofer eh.

My point still stands - mid table finishes with Brentford and Walsall.

Just now, hippo said:

My point still stands - mid table finishes with Brentford and Walsall.

Where were you expecting Brentford and Walsall to finish in the respective seasons that they did finish mid-table?

I'm not advocating signing Dean Smith in any way, but I'd be interested to know.

Smith for me this season to start rebuilding, improve our fitness and team play, and work with developing our more promising youngsters and giving them regular game time. This will give our ambitious owners time to remove financial constraints, and chance to research and attract a top manager/coach to take us forward in 2019/20 with a good financial package to work with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

Smith for me this season to start rebuilding, improve our fitness and team play, and work with developing our more promising youngsters and giving them regular game time. This will give our ambitious owners time to remove financial constraints, and chance to research and attract a top manager/coach to take us forward in 2019/20 with a good financial package to work with.

He'd do well here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I know new owners are often keen to make a statement by appointing a "sexy new manager". Henri would certainly fit that description.

However, bringing in Henri at a time when he can't be given funds to bring in his own key players doesn't make sense.

I think we need to accept that the next 12 months will limit our immediate ambition, and try to bring in Dean Smith to begin the rebuilding task this season. DS is recognised as a coach who can get the best out of younger players, and his teams are fit enough to press and play decent football. (Just my opinion of course)

I will be amazed if these new investors, soon to be owners turn to Dean Smith.

correct me if I am wrong, but I think many Walsall fans were glad when he went.

It will be Steve Bruce to continue or a big name.....If it is a big name, expect big signings, because thats the only reason they will come.

Edited by TRO

The new owners according to the Times story genuinely love football, and watch as much as we do. They will for sure have been watching the better teams in Europe rather than Championship matches so you just think that with all their money they will surely be looking for a top class manager to come in, albeit someone who will be happy in the championship. 

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I will be amazed if these new investors, soon to be owners turn to Dean Smith.

correct me if I am wrong, but I think many Walsall fans were glad when he went.

I doubt it very much, Walsall we’re second when left and would almost certainly have been promoted had he stayed. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The new owners according to the Times story genuinely love football, and watch as much as we do. They will for sure have been watching the better teams in Europe rather than Championship matches so you just think that with all their money they will surely be looking for a top class manager to come in, albeit someone who will be happy in the championship. 

A Top class manager, will want a top class budget.

I like the way he got Brentford playing TRO. Good looking football with loads of energy and a work ethic that put us to shame each time we played them. I also like the way he's developed young players to replace some excellent players that he had to sell regularly.

He's not the long term answer, but he would get a better tune out of our existing squad than Bruce has imo.

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It all basically boils down to you don't want Bruce, so you're happy to have Henry because he MIGHT be good.

I mean, he might be a **** disaster too.

That's fine. it makes no sense, but you're entitled to your opinion so let's just agree to disagree.

I think it makes sense. You can disagree that it's a gamble worth taking, but the logic is sound. I don't want Bruce so I'll take a gamble on someone who might be good.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Sneaky little observation - a new manager may have enough time to sort this squad, while the UK window shuts Aug 9th, the european window shuts end of August, - plenty of time to get a few deals through of young talent to fit a new system. And all the more so if FFP is not going to burden us as previously thought. Going on the speed of the takeover I would not be surprised by a new guy coming in pronto followed by a few quick deals. 

We cant sign anybody permanent once UK window is closed

2 hours ago, TheEgo said:

You are right..everyone has their views.

I like Henry as a person, I think he is very knowledgeable in relation to the game, very quick thinking as a player and has a worldwide reputation....he wouldn't be cheap and he would want a sizeable budget....but hey its just speculation as far as i know.

We all know the warts n all with SB....He has just short of 2 years at the club, knows his way around and just finished a gnats wotsit away from promotion.....He will be well aware of what constituted that whisker and I would be amazed if he didn't know how to fix it, given the opportunity to do so.

Its a gamble and depending how the new guys view it, will be what happens next.

I have an open mind.....I see excitement in Henry coupled with doubt......I see stability in Bruce coupled with anxiety in our play.

But I also believe a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush......How these 2 guys have conducted their businesses and gained success will determine what camp they are in.....cautious and deliberate or bold and intrepid.

We will see.

What have we got to lose.....we couldn't pay the gas bill last week.