New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

Literally makes no sense bud. If you apply wanting something to 'knowing' it will be a good thing and work, that's just bonkers. Nobody knows if he will work, but some want to SEE if it does. 

I'm not talking about knowing. I'm talking about confidence. 

Nobody knows the outcome of anything, of course.

But surely for people to WANT us to appoint Henry, then they must be confident that he would do a good job. Otherwise WHY would you want it to happen?

If Steve Bruce stays and If these people are serious like we are led to believe and they start to watch our games every week then I’ll give it to October/ November time before they get fed up of watching the dross and pull the trigger as SB will not change his playing style. 

Anyone who watched the Burton game will realise that.

I hope whoever comes in after Bruce (it will happen sometime or another) is not of the same ilk !!! 

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

If Steve Bruce stays and If these people are serious like we are led to believe and they start to watch our games every week then I’ll give it to October/ November time before they get fed up of watching the dross and pull the trigger as SB will not change his playing style. 

I imagine they won't give one shit if we're getting results.

In the same way as I'm sure they'd sack him if we suddenly started playing amazing football but were losing all the time.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine they won't give one shit if we're getting results.

In the same way as I'm sure they'd sack him if we suddenly started playing amazing football but were losing all the time.

Good point to that extent as my post was placed on the assumption results will not be forthcoming. I don’t think results will  be easy to come by. Just like last season and this time we have a weaker team at the moment. 

Dont be fooled by Burton, Walsall...

Edited by imavillan

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

Good point to that extent as my post was placed on the assumption results will not be forthcoming. I don’t think results will not be easy to come by. Just like last season and this time we have a weaker team at the moment. 

Dont be fooled by Burton, Walsall...

I'm not fooled by anything. I think we'll struggle this season and have been saying as much for weeks.

But the point was style of football doesn't matter nearly as much as people on here make out. It's all about results. 

If Bruce (or whoever) gets the sack this season, it will be because they're not performing, not because of the style of football.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But surely for people to WANT us to appoint Henry, then they must be confident that he would do a good job. Otherwise WHY would you want it to happen?

This is hard work, but I'll try again. I don't know if he will do a good job anymore than you know he will do a bad one. I think you're putting everyone in your own shoes and assuming we all think the same as you. Maybe when you have a view on something it has to be with a caveat of being 'confident' it will have a good outcome. Sometimes you just HOPE. That's what hope is. I'm excited by the link and whether it's him or someone like Dean Smith or 'A other' it's all about hoping. I 'think' he would do a good job, but of course I can't be confident of that anymore than anyone can. We were told last year and the year before "Not even Pep could get this lot playing" etc etc!! 

It's all about opinions, is it cool to just disagree? I can want something without having to be confident or KNOW he will do a good job, you need a little more, that's ok. It is a gamble, all changes are (especially it would seem at Villa) 

I can't explain it better than that. I like the idea of a young modern coach with fresh ideas getting the job and taking us in a completely different direction. I'm ok staying in the Championship if we build a playing style that is mirrored throughout the club and we build slowly and do it over a few years. I simply don't want we've had the past two years. That for me is not how I want our clubs vision to be. 

I have no idea who will WORK and be a success, but I have a desire to have some excitement and I see Henry as that, Terry also (I was jealous of Lampard at Derby, I have no idea how he will do) So it's not anyone BUT Bruce, its a complete change club wide from what we have been doing and stand for over the last 10 years. 

So I don't get your view and you don't get mine, but I respect it and we'll have to agree to disagree, as I don't think you 'get it' that sheer blind hope for change and some excitement as a fan and that's not a criticism at all. I get that some fans are way more pragmatic. Bruce has failed for me. so I do want a new man. It doesn't have to be Henry for me, but I'd like it. 

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was exactly that kind of thinking that got us where we are too.......Sherwood/Garde et al.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

People just like the unknown, usually it ends in tears though.... but you never know, which I guess is the point.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not fooled by anything. I think we'll struggle this season and have been saying as much for weeks.

But the point was style of football doesn't matter nearly as much as people on here make out. It's all about results. 

If Bruce (or whoever) gets the sack this season, it will be because they're not performing, not because of the style of football.

Let me ask you Steve who YOU would take a chance on? You say you aren't a Bruce keeper, so therefore open to a new guy, so who would you get that's 'gettable' ?? Same question to those who would accept change but think the idea of Henry is absurd (I'm not having a pop here, I'd genuinely want to know other options of managers that we could get if new owners decide we need change?)

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It matters when you have been watching a **** style of football for 10 years and not getting results.  Time for a change.

• Like 1

Sneaky little observation - a new manager may have enough time to sort this squad, while the UK window shuts Aug 9th, the european window shuts end of August, - plenty of time to get a few deals through of young talent to fit a new system. And all the more so if FFP is not going to burden us as previously thought. Going on the speed of the takeover I would not be surprised by a new guy coming in pronto followed by a few quick deals. 

11 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Let me ask you Steve who YOU would take a chance on? You say you aren't a Bruce keeper, so therefore open to a new guy, so who would you get that's 'gettable' ?? Same question to those who would accept change but think the idea of Henry is absurd (I'm not having a pop here, I'd genuinely want to know other options of managers that we could get if new owners decide we need change?)

If you want to gamble\ take chances - then  Nathan Jones from Luton - would take some getting though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Dean Smith. Gettable. Absolutely is. Much less of a gamble than Henry. Not the sensational choice Henry would be but sometimes that's no bad thing.

• Like 1

If Edens is going to operate the same way with Villa as he did with the Bucks, it means Bruce is gone and he will bring in a "name".  Hired Jason Kidd without the GM of the Bucks knowledge and it was a disaster, but casual fans knew the Jason Kidd name.  No inside knowledge, but it makes me think there are legs to Henry as he has name people will know, especially in New York, where Edens lives.

Edited by Otter

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

If you want to gamble\ take chances - then  Nathan Jones from Luton - would take some getting though. 

Really like Nathan Jones and I could get behind that if we're going in a different direction as I said above. There are a few people who I rate, yet have no idea if/what that can achieve. I'd be excited by a few people though

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Dean Smith. Gettable. Absolutely is. Much less of a gamble than Henry. Not the sensational choice Henry would be but sometimes that's no bad thing.

Ah ....Dean smith who has midtable finishes with Brentford and Walsall and concede goals for Fun  - its a wonder no one has snapped him already !

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Otter said:

If Edens is going to operate the same way with Villa as he did with the Bucks, it means Bruce is gone and he will bring in a "name".  Hired Jason Kidd without the GM of the Bucks knowledge and it was a disaster, but casual fans knew the Jason Kidd name.  No inside knowledge, but it makes me think there are legs to Henry as he has name people will know, especially in New York, where Edens lives.

Thats my fear as well - Lerner wanted Jurgen Klinnsman - but settled on MON