Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

forgot about that, that's either equally mundane or rather beautiful depending on how old it was

Or the 'updated' version, the Austin Ambassador. 

My Dad had a bottle green Morris Marina estate with brown vinyl seats. It rusted so bad you could literally put your hand through the bodywork without any real resistance. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Or the 'updated' version, the Austin Ambassador. 

My Dad had a bottle green Morris Marina estate with brown vinyl seats. It rusted so bad you could literally put your hand through the bodywork without any real resistance. 

We had a Marina too ... see previous comment about the shite cars my dad bought

I just noticed the water skis in the speedboat there. The idea of darts players from down the pub off Bullseye actually winning and then faceplanting the surface of the water on some lake with their spoils is making me chuckle to myself.

And now mrsVM wants to know what's funny.... here we go another unimpressed withering stare awaits I guess :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bickster said:

My Dad at various times owned a Maxi (orange) an Allegro (beige) and the piece de resistance... a red Austin Princess

I see your Princess and raise you:

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

The Ford Anglia.

We had one of these until I was 16. I used to lie down on the backseat (see: deck chair) to avoid being seen dead in it.

33 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I see your Princess and raise you:

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

The Ford Anglia.

We had one of these until I was 16. I used to lie down on the backseat (see: deck chair) to avoid being seen dead in it.

My dad used to have a Triumph Herald. My memory is it looked much more old fashioned than other cars on the road and even as a 7 year old I was confused why when the windows were closed there were gaps at the top of the window. Great British manufacturing at its finest. 

• Like 1

My Dad had a real rally after the Herald when he had 2 Cortinas, great cars really.  The first one metallic gold, the second one Metallic puke green with a black vinyl roof. 

Then a return to horrendously crap car form with a Montego, surely the worst car in its class ever. I mean, how many do you see on the road now? For a relatively modern car I would be surprised if there is a single example still running. 

It's funny really. For 99% of things, if they were made years ago they tended to me much better made and built to last but modern cars are far better made and hugely more reliable than old cars. 

You would normally expect a more modern thing to be a cheap flimsy throw away bit of tat with a 2 year rust expectancy but it's the total reverse. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My Dad had a real rally after the Herald when he had 2 Cortinas, great cars really.  The first one metallic gold, the second one Metallic puke green with a black vinyl roof. 

Then a return to horrendously crap car form with a Montego, surely the worst car in its class ever. I mean, how many do you see on the road now? For a relatively modern car I would be surprised if there is a single example still running. 

It's funny really. For 99% of things, if they were made years ago they tended to me much better made and built to last but modern cars are far better made and hugely more reliable than old cars. 

You would normally expect a more modern thing to be a cheap flimsy throw away bit of tat with a 2 year rust expectancy but it's the total reverse. 

Diesel Montegos had Perkins engines in them, absolutely great engines, would go on forever, shame the rest of the car was a rusting piece of crap in 5 years :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I used to get a lift to school from my mate over the road his dad always had really old cars for about 3 or 4 years I went to school in one of these

10933895995_2a7372b85d_b.jpg

A Ford Zephyr - even back then I thought it was cool

my dad had one of these.the car after this was a Vauxhall victor.it was light blue and had one long front seat,every time we went round a corner i'd slide along it.the gear stick was on the stearing column,loved it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not even the worst car I ever had. I reserve that title for the Rover 214 from the 90's. Handled like a boat.

I had a white Rover 214i as my first company car, and I absolutely loved it.

6 hours ago, Risso said:

I had a white Rover 214i as my first company car, and I absolutely loved it.

Hire car lottery threw up one of the bubbly shaped ones from the late 90's once - that was alright.

The one I owned was a real love hate relationship. I hated driving it but it is easily the least expensive car I ever ran spread out over the time I owned it and it never let me down. It was a bargain. So it's hard not to remember it with some fondness.

I had a MK1 astra now I'm thinking back. Bought for £50 with 6 months tax and mot. Ran that for a summer. Then it had to die because it was only really the rust that was holding the body to the chassis. Scary really when you think about it. The folly of youth.

The memories though. Cars is a weird one with memories. Like chapters in the book of our lives for those of us that got ourselves a license and been on the road ever since.

Â