Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The kids in the SB drive thru outside Ross on Wye are quite good except the tattooed drama queen who thinks he's funny - he's not funny chatty, he's slow and gets the order wrong.

Nearly went that way this morning for a change of scenery but realised I'd be doing Hereford in rush hour. Noted for future reference though

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Gloucester Services is like the Waitrose of services, everything is top quality, no brands just their own stuff,  if you haven't been there, it's worth a trip as a destination - but take a good credit card. They sell dyno tape machines

The chances of me doing M6/ M5 are negligible to nil such is my disdain for the two roads 

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Gloucester Services is like the Waitrose of services, everything is top quality, no brands just their own stuff,  if you haven't been there, it's worth a trip as a destination

AKA Tellytubbyland. 

22_main.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

The chances of me doing M6/ M5 are negligible to nil such is my disdain for the two roads 

roadworks on the M50, toll gone on the M4, so I'm mixing it up!

M25 at 8:00am tomorrow, that's always great for a laugh

@mjmooney  their cumberland sausage roll is £4.00 but I'd pay more! I've actually considered getting two, but resisted. It's a weird piece of niche marketing. Yes, you get a couple of bewildered truckers trying to find the Greggs. But most of their customers appear to arrive in Volvo's and be called India and have kids called Jemima and Henry.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My route to Brizzle has improved immeasurably since Xmas, not only has the Toll gone but the Newtown By-pass has opened. I will never be tempted to stop in that shithole ever again nor will I have to sit in the traffic there. Generally plain sailing now

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

@mjmooney  their cumberland sausage roll is £4.00 but I'd pay more! I've actually considered getting two, but resisted. It's a weird piece of niche marketing. Yes, you get a couple of bewildered truckers trying to find the Greggs. But most of their customers appear to arrive in Volvo's and be called India and have kids called Jemima and Henry.

I was told you can use the internet and order ahead of you arriving there. I wouldn't know if this was true

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

hmmm, don't know, will investigate

but this is their meat counter .... at a motorway services

83.jpg

It's still on the M5 though. Which you have to use the M6 to get to

My missus once suggested we go down to Brizzle and stay in the Cotswolds for the night. She now knows not to mention this silly idea ever again 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

to the tenth of a penny. currently, £133.9 at the closest garage, £128.9 at the Tesco and £130.9 at the Esso at the other end of the village. A New Cheapo EG garage is opening closer to my house soon, so I'm expecting a price war locally

That said I buy at the most expensive one as I prefer their coffee because when you only put a tenner or twenty in you really don't give a crap. It's all about the taste of the coffee for me

Christ, you pay 100 times what I do, I thought it was meant to be cheaper oop north. ;) 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Gloucester Services is like the Waitrose of services, everything is top quality, no brands just their own stuff,  if you haven't been there, it's worth a trip as a destination - but take a good credit card. They sell dyno tape machines.

Sounds like Tebay services up north.

When I was a kid we went on holiday to worse places than that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

hmmm, don't know, will investigate

but this is their meat counter .... at a motorway services

83.jpg

There's one in cumbria too (Tebay) if you find yourself on the way to Scotland. Owned by the same Westmorland group but you also get the added bonus of being in the mountains & it has ducks and even a rather nice hotel.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

nah the big ones are to the west :)

It seriously is quite steep for a by-pass though, three hills it goes over but it's still marvellous, not having to stop / start / stop / start ... in Newtown is fantastic, not having to actually see Newtown is fantastic

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

It seriously is quite steep for a by-pass though, three hills it goes over but it's still marvellous, not having to stop / start / stop / start ... in Newtown is fantastic, not having to actually see Newtown is fantastic

Can't argue with that :D

I assume it still dumps you out onto all the horseshoe bends south of Newtown (proper dangerous bit of A road that), but it's needed it for a long time if it's going the same way as the rest of the country. Not great for Newtown though oddly. Just another place on a sign post to drive past now. Decent roads pretty much all the way up to Chester though now. Newtown might have enough going on to be fair but it's been fairly disastrous for a fair few businesses in Llanidloes and Talgarth.

Rhayader is surely next in line. I watched loads of trucks wedge themselves on that clock tower when I ran a pub near the crossroads there. Which will be great for getting to Aberystwyth and up/down the A470. It will decimate local business. I used to depend on a lot of that passing trade - bikers/holiday makers on their way to the coast and people who were finding out just how long the A470 can take to drive the length of and stop half-way.

Modernity though I suppose.

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Can't argue with that :D

I assume it still dumps you out onto all the horseshoe bends south of Newtown (proper dangerous bit of A road that), but it's needed it for a long time if it's going the same way as the rest of the country. Not great for Newtown though oddly. Just another place on a sign post to drive past now. Decent roads pretty much all the way up to Chester though now. Newtown might have enough going on to be fair but it's been fairly disastrous for a fair few businesses in Llanidloes and Talgarth.

Rhayader is surely next in line. I watched loads of trucks wedge themselves on that clock tower when I ran a pub near the crossroads there. Which will be great for getting to Aberystwyth and up/down the A470. It will decimate local business. I used to depend on a lot of that passing trade - bikers/holiday makers on their way to the coast and people who were finding out just how long the A470 can take to drive the length of and stop half-way.

Modernity though I suppose.

Yep, it dumps you out at almost exactly that point.

I nearly always stop in Llanidloes - Free Parking, Public Toilet and a second-hand record shop, the shops are much better than Newtown too

I never even consider the Ancient Capital of the Bracheiniog though, Builth (public Toilets), Hay (minor diversion and at least two record shops), Crickhowel (better but never stop) and Abergavenny (Public Toilets, decent shops and a large second hand record shop plus food in the Angel), though if I'm in a hurry I take the short cut via Waitrose, run into their bogs and drive on.

Never found any record shops in Newtown :mrgreen:

A few years back I got to Newtown early enough for a substantial liquid lunch before the football.

Got in to the ground and thought I'd have a quick power nap lying under a row of seats in the stand. Literally slept through the entire game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â