Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Me too. At least you don't have to pay it on your mortgage like I had to. 

Yeah, but 13.5% on £200 still isn't very much. :P

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Yeah, but 13.5% on £200 still isn't very much. :P

Haha. Ten times that. Still, a four bedroomed house for twenty grand (admittedly one that needed  a lot of work), and no problem getting a 95% mortgage. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Haha. Ten times that. Still, a four bedroomed house for twenty grand (admittedly one that needed  a lot of work), and no problem getting a 95% mortgage. 

£20k for a house?  Jeeeeeez, that really is the olden times. I had to pay £29,950 for my first house. 

Anyway, that's not why I'm here. Potatoes. In the '70's we were always concerned about the price and condition of spuds. A wet winter, potato price rises on the news. A dry summer, potato prices on the news. Potato blight, potato prices on the news. Articles on the news with presenters stood outside chip shops lamenting the latest rise in chippy prices. Potato season changing and we can 'finally' have roasties again. Potato season changing and we can final have baby potatoes with a bit of butter. 

And it was butter. Not some Poly wotsit nesian chemical extract of onion skins and voles arses that you can't actually cook with.

• Like 2

The best food shortage (and concomitant price hike) was the great sugar crisis of 1975. Made me give up taking sugar in tea and coffee - for which I am eternally grateful. 

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The best food shortage (and concomitant price hike) was the great sugar crisis of 1975. Made me give up taking sugar in tea and coffee - for which I am eternally grateful. 

Never heard of that. How much did it go up as a rough percentage?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I remember my mother complaining like hell about the price, gawd knows why, she was a long life staple food hoarder anyway, there were always multiple bags of sugar / flour etc in the house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I honestly don't remember, but it was a big controversy. I just remember the empty shelves, followed by people fighting over the rare bags that were being sold at high prices, and thinking "Bloody hell, I'm not paying THAT". 

Took me about a month to get used to the taste of tea without sugar, but after that I massively preferred it, to the point that I couldn't stand it WITH. Coffee was easier (and I still very occasionally have one with sugar, as a novelty). 

• Like 1

**** hell.  You start a thread, ask a few questions...

Only one of them get answered and 5 days later the old bastards still won't stop wittering on and on and on...

Time to get the care home brochures out :lol:

Only kidding.  I love this thread! :)

• Like 2

Just now, Risso said:

What on earth was it with Artex? Why did people choose to ruin perfectly good smooth plaster with that rubbish?

The trick to getting it off was to soften it with a steamer, and then scrape it. 

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

What on earth was it with Artex? Why did people choose to ruin perfectly good smooth plaster with that rubbish?

Same reason people wore flares and platform boots

Makes me think of this time I had to rip out a bit of false wall from round a Rayburn in this house once. Loads of Ply. Loads of soot n that fell out rather obviously, but after we'd ripped it out we uncovered this amazing curved brick fireplace that the owners had no idea was there. Ended up cleaning it up lovely. Wasn't just lovely plaster they used to cover with crap it seems.

Â