Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

Mid eighties (i think?), youth club, wearing a yellow Slazenger jumper, grey flecks and grey slip ons.  I was looking the dogs!

Roll on a couple of years and it was shell suit time and Reebok Pump (for anyone that remembers them).  I also managed to get some 'Troop' trainers  and was the envy of my mates at the time.    Great times.  

Or was the above the other way round??    My brain isn't what it used to be.  

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Mid eighties (i think?), youth club, wearing a yellow Slazenger jumper, grey flecks and grey slip ons.  I was looking the dogs!

Roll on a couple of years and it was shell suit time and Reebok Pump (for anyone that remembers them).  I also managed to get some 'Troop' trainers  and was the envy of my mates at the time.    Great times.  

hopefully neither are your clothes :mrgreen:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I had a yellow slazanger jumper but went for the white slip-ons. Must have bought about 4 pairs of them which I rotated with espadrilles. 

Never owned a shell suit though, stayed well away from that one. 

I still own my fave 80s shirt which I bought from Oasis Market, short shirt sleeves with mint/light green pattern.  I absolutely loved it and used to wear it with a diamante broach through the top button. Thought I looked exactly like Crockett, but with bumfluff instead of designer stubble. 

• Like 1

In the things we thought were great but were actually pretty naff category I would have to say fluorescent towelling socks

And you had to wear different colours on different feet or the other kids would tease you for having the same colour socks.

Oh the early 80's you really were bad to us!

And yeah @ferguson1 I remember thinking my slip on shoes were the bees knees. :)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I had a yellow slazanger jumper but went for the white slip-ons. Must have bought about 4 pairs of them which I rotated with espadrilles. 

Never owned a shell suit though, stayed well away from that one. 

I still own my fave 80s shirt which I bought from Oasis Market, short shirt sleeves with mint/light green pattern.  I absolutely loved it and used to wear it with a diamante broach through the top button. Thought I looked exactly like Crockett, but with bumfluff instead of designer stubble. 

I had a pink Pringle jumper, which I think cost about £40.  That must be about £1,000 in new money!  What was it about the 80s and pastel golfing jumpers?  Slip on shoes and towelling socks were also de riguer at our school.

On 03/03/2018 at 10:53, mjmooney said:

The best food shortage (and concomitant price hike) was the great sugar crisis of 1975. Made me give up taking sugar in tea and coffee - for which I am eternally grateful. 

Now that’s a memory that was way embedded down in my brain.  I remember now flying from Liverpool to Dublin “on holiday” with my mum and cousin just to come back with bags of sugar in our suitcases.

• Like 1

Going back to the OP and the Beeching cuts. Obviously well before my time but  The Mid-Wales Railway some of which is walkable these days has an old bridge basically stuck in the middle of nowhere. Once a year these guys from the railways turn up in their yellow jackets and clean the hell out of it. Presumably, these days because it will be nicer for the sheep to look at! But basically it's a hangover from the railway cuts and the upkeep of the old and remaining infrastructure was written into the deal. Now it must be a heritage thing but they still come out with brushes and a jet wash to this day. It closed in 1962 and the tracks were ripped up.

398px-Moat_Lane_Junction_Station_2028276

Moat Lane Junction station 1957

398px-Talyllyn_Junction,_1960.jpg

Talyllyn Junction station early 60's

330px-Hugh_llewelyn_9796_&_3621_(7873352

A train arriving at Brecon station on 6 October 1962, the last day of service.

Closed before the Beeching cuts came along a few years later.

The Mid-Wales Line being one of the lines that was reprieved in the Beeching cuts and still operates today between Shrewsbury and Swansea. The industrial line built to facilitate the building of the dams in the Elan Valley (Where you probably still get your water from if you're reading this in Brum) having already been removed by 1916. The saving of the Mid-Wales Line means feats of Victorian engineering like the Cynghordy viaduct still remain.

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1

Trains

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Now that’s a memory that was way embedded down in my brain.  I remember now flying from Liverpool to Dublin “on holiday” with my mum and cousin just to come back with bags of sugar in our suitcases.

Is THAT what they told you all the white power was? 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Is THAT what they told you all the white power was? 

White power?? Were they travelling with pillowcases over their heads? 

I guess the sugar was to put on their Special K(KK) cereal?

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I honestly thought that this was some sort of in-joke about books n such then I searched it and saw

12852086543_704724c544_z.jpg

I never knew that was a thing!

The ladybird plague was quite cool. It was an interesting diversion from “has the road melted today?”

• Like 3

8 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

On Ladybird books though was it all 'Peter and Jane' in earlier generations? It was in the 70's and 80's in our house.

Janet and John when I started school in January 1959. 

My mum had already taught me to read, so I complained when the teacher started with learning the alphabet. She gave me the whole year's worth of Janet and Johns - which took me about ten minutes to read

This is Janet. This is John. This is Spot. Spot runs. John sees Spot run. Run, Spot, run. 

Jeez. 

My wife had a similar experience - but in her rural school, their books were apparently prewar leftovers - Dick and Dora, rather than Jant and John. 

Completing the cycle, my daughters repeated the experience with Biff and Kipper. 

41RlLGfgSEL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:18, VILLAMARV said:

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1

Trains

I did this journey in August , was picking soot out my eyes and hair for the next couple of days

• Like 1

Â