Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Green? what kind of weirdness was that? Snorkel Parka's were usually blue round our way

My mate at school had a silver snorkel Parker. It seemed to be like something from outer space, everyone was so jealous. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I wasn't happy when that switch happened. Flares covered all but the toes of your shoes, but the first time I put on a pair of drainies, I thought they made my feet look ENORMOUS. Took some getting used to. 

Do you remember when Spurz brought out the first long shorts after everyone had been wearing short shorts. Everyone thought is was laughable and they looked ridiculous.  So old fashioned like the 50's footballers. 

Now you look at the 80's shorts and they look terrible. 

I was relieved that I missed the whole flares thing.   I had wide bottom trousers as a kid that my parents bought, but that was because it was all you could get really, but not proper flares. 

By the time I got to choose my own clothes it was straight into the Cosmic Stretch. 

I did have 1 pair of those totally awful pinstripe blue jeans which were trendy for a while, but I never owned any of those ludicrous blue jeans with the light blue or yellow piping down the sides, I thought they were ridiculous at the time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

artex

969807c87b221919646d4587882b0ec2.jpg

artex everywhere

My parents still have artex on the ceiling of the house they bought in 1984.

Only thing is that it's a very long living room which consists of the original room plus extension. 

The original room had, and I use the term loosely "good" artex but whoever did the extension obviously couldn't do it properly so it all goes to pot halfway down the room. 

I've no idea why they haven't had the whole sorry lot plastered over. 

On 01/03/2018 at 13:27, VILLAMARV said:

I was able to see past my love of genesis to the point you were making.

Nursery Crimes ftw

I thought the music died in '76? was I wrong?

No that was 1977. I was on holiday in Cornwall and heard it on TV and ran upstairs to break the news to my parents that Elvis was dead. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No that was 1977. I was on holiday in Cornwall and heard it on TV and ran upstairs to break the news to my parents that Elvis was dead. 

No, it was 1980. I didn't give a shit about Elvis, but John Lennon's murder hit me hard. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No, it was 1980. I didn't give a shit about Elvis, but John Lennon's murder hit me hard. 

Not as hard as it hit Paul McCartney. The Ernie Wise of that partnership. 

Imagine v The Frog Chorus, it's a hard choice. 

On 01/03/2018 at 13:19, Risso said:

Our first house on the IOM still had cast iron gutters and drainpipes.

I had to take a cast iron downpipe off my old house a couple of years ago. 

It was staggering to me just how heavy the thing was. Almost lost control of it. The fixings were a thing to behold as well. No rawl plug and screws back in those days. 

Interestingly when I sold it I had a read through the original 1920's deeds and realised I had failed to comply with some conditions of the original leasehold by failing to paint the woodwork every 2 years with led paint. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Might have been covered previously but I’ll ask anyway...

Seniors, what things at the time did you think were rubbish, but now you look back on with fondness and think “yeah, that was alright”?

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Seniors, what things at the time did you think were rubbish, but now you look back on with fondness and think “yeah, that was alright”?

fosters(clothes shop not the aussie lager)

• Like 1

Yeah I had the World Cup 1970 thing, no idea where it went.

I also remember Bazooka Joe bubblegum with a cartoon in it that you needed a microscope to read.

Villa players in shirts with no names or sponsors. Just numbers 1 to 11. And Pat McMahon looked cool.

White dog shit, must have been the Winalot.

The never ending heat of 1976 (made the white dogshit like rock).

Anaglypta wallpaper.

Tony Blackburn on Radio One with that bloody barking dog.

Platform soles and trousers with six buttons on the waistband.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I remembered these being a thing as I was out for a walk today. Shiny football stickers and coins from petrol stations

esso-football-badge-collection-dfm1ka.jp

Esso-1970-World-Cup-Coins-and-Poster.jpg

esso.jpg&f=1

I've got a set of petrol station stuff, though mine is a collection of tailfin insignia of the world leading airlines at the time. I'll try and dig it out. Might even have a few books of PG Tips cards somewhere too (or was it Brooke Bond)

20 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

School is the only thing I can think off.  If you thought something was naff back in the day, it will probably be naff now. 

I do like red LED things now which I thought were cool then, like a watch screen. 

I suppose a great many people thought Deloreans were naff cars, which they were,  but are now highly prized because of a certain film. 

• Like 1

Â