Questions for the seniors

lapal_fan

• 1 year later...

Whats the cheapest price you remember paying for Petrol

I remember my Imp being off the road for three days while I changed a bent wishbone.

and petrol had gone up to 68p per gallon about 15p per litre. I could do Western Super mud from Cannock for less than a fiver 

7 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Whats the cheapest price you remember paying for Petrol

I honestly have no idea. I've never even really registered how much petrol costs per gallon (and certainly not per litre). I just think in terms of what a tankful costs. I'm aware that it's recently gone above fifty quid to fill up, but I can't remember when it was that it cost forty, or twenty, or whatever. I started driving in 1987, and I have zero recollection of what petrol cost then. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I honestly have no idea. I've never even really registered how much petrol costs per gallon (and certainly not per litre). I just think in terms of what a tankful costs. I'm aware that it's recently gone above fifty quid to fill up, but I can't remember when it was that it cost forty, or twenty, or whatever. I started driving in 1987, and I have zero recollection of what petrol cost then. 

I was driving from my 17th birthday 1975, a few lessons with the old chap and six with an instructor £2 to take the test a couple of questions on the high way code and off you go.

It says a lot about my mindset that (other than the two houses I've bought) the only items I recall the prices of 'back in the day' are (1) beer, (2) books and (3) records (LPs/CDs). Everything else (cars, petrol, food, clothes, bus fares, etc.), not a clue. 

Edited by mjmooney

Just now, mjmooney said:

It says a lot about my mindset that (other than the two houses I've bought) the only items I recall the prices of 'back in the day' are (1) beer, (2) books and (3) records (LPs/CDs). Everything else (cars, petrol, food, clothes, etc.), not a clue. 

I'm the same. 

I still don't know how much food costs to be honest. My gf laughs at me because I have no idea what a pint of milk costs or a loaf of bread. I just buy what we need when we go to the supermarket.

That makes me sound like some rich snob. It's not like that. It's just that we usually buy pretty similar stuff, so I know roughly how much we pay in a weekly shop. If we get a week where it's suddenly £10 higher then I'll have a look at what we bought and what was expensive. I guess I notice the price of the shopping overall rather than the price of every item.

(I also do the same with best before dates, much to her annoyance)

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It says a lot about my mindset that (other than the two houses I've bought) the only items I recall the prices of 'back in the day' are (1) beer, (2) books and (3) records (LPs/CDs). Everything else (cars, petrol, food, clothes, bus fares, etc.), not a clue. 

How about ticket prices, football or concerts?

10 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Nope. Forgotten all those. For football, all I know is that when I was young I could easily afford to go to a match, in middle age it had become much more expensive, and nowadays it's pretty much out of the question. Gigs? I'd have to dig out some of my old ticket stubs to check, nothing is fixed in memory. 

EDIT: With beer, books and albums there are definitely landmark prices (some of them in pre-decimal £.s.d.) 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Standing in the Holte dressed in my Crombi coat and Dr Martin boots, having paid 40p at the turnstile to get in

I guess I have a vague recollection that a football match wasn't much more than the price of a pint, but I don't remember an actual ticket price at all. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I remember everyone being pissed off at Herbert Ellis in 1978, when we played Barcelona he hiked the ticket price 30p to £1.30

• Like 1

As a schoolkid I used to dodge the 5p fare on my train commute by jumping out on to the grass verge just before it got in to the station. 

A great advert for cheap public transport, soft verges, and slam doors.

• Like 1

I can remember when 10 Silk Cut went upto 78p in the budget of 1986 and making sure no more than 2 litres went into my moped, and then remembering my Dad’s lawnmower ran on the same petrol grade, siphon and funnel times

• Haha 1

75p for me on the holte as a spotty 16 yr old in 80/81. I remember the 2p bus fares too. Catch the 46 bus from the drakes drum pub to perry barr dog track (or birchfield harriers stadium as it was). Walk to villa park, watch the game, no.7 bus back to perry common crossways pub then 28 bus to dyas road terminus. Pop over to the old post office just in time for the sports argus and a 1/4 of aniseed balls, munching away back home reading about the game I'd just watched. 

Happy days.....until i remembered i still had homework to do on Sunday (after Star Soccer, watching the game I'd seen and read about the day before !)

Sorry for the ramble but it's a senior "thing" 😉

• Like 2

First packet of fags ten No10 for 9 and1/2 p, used to flog em at school for 1p each

Jesus I can remember going to The Royal oak Cannock on a Friday night a pint of brown and mild with 20 B&H for just under £1

Me and Mrs T started vaping almost two years ago, we had worked out that we were spending nearly £400 a month on Tobacco and fags, she was working two days a week for us to smoke. We are now a little better off and she only works three days a week 

Â