Tony Morley

sidcow

Tony Morley running down the wing and creating a buzz was my first strong memory of my first ever football match as a young lad. It was a good home win against Watford 3 or 4 nil. I was only 6 or 7, and my Dad said he was surprised at how much of the game I remembered and talked about afterwards. I think I wrote to him after the match, and he sent me a signed photo. Get well soon TM.

• Like 1

Yep I was 7 when we won the league and 8 when we won the European Cup I thought Villa always won trophies!! My Dad took me to my first game in 1980 the season before we won the league.   Lots of legends to love but just like sidcow above I was always Tony Morley in the playground even if I did wear my Peter Withe sweatbands!

A true Villa Legend and I hope he recovers well from his knee op.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

HOWEVER when I was 10 years old I was ALWAYS Tony Morley when playing football. 

Me too, handy as I was a left winger. One of my all time favourite players.

• Like 1

Get well soon Tony. Hit the cross to Peter Withe in 82 that made us Champions of Europe and dazzled on the wing in our league title season. Always has a smile and time for fans. I'm sure he will soon be up and mobile again very soon.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

I have seen on another forum which shall not be named that Tony is in hospital for a knee replacement. 

My ultimate hero is Sid Cowans obviously.. Truth be told I am unfortunately a couple of years short of really seeing the League/European champions teams in action, I only started going with my mates in the mid 80's but I saw them a couple of times when my dad took me to Villa Park and started the obsession. 

Sid is my ultimate hero because I had the privilege of seeing him play regularly in his second and third stints with us and my god he was beyond supreme.  Still for me better in his position than McGrath. 

HOWEVER when I was 10 years old I was ALWAYS Tony Morley when playing football. 

I was shocked to not find a thread specifically about him when I went to write about his hospital appointment *. This guy is a true Villa legend.  He crossed the ball to Withe for our greatest ever moment. 

Anyway I wish him well and hope his new knees provides a better quality of life for him, bad knees are a real downer for people who suffer. 

I once met him and like all the old players I have met seemed a really decent fella. Good luck Tony. 

* it may actually exist as I am technology incompetent but I did search for a thread with his name in the title which came up blank. Apologies if this is me in the wrong! 

Didn’t realise Tony was expecting a knee replacement too - I am undergoing in 2 weeks time too. 

‘I wish Tony a speedy recovery , I know the rehab is hard work and trust he will hopefully be back at villa park in time to see the promotion climax . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Wish I was a couple years older so I could have watched that Villa team, I only started going to Villa in 1987.

Get well soon Tony

Was a great side but so was the 77 team with gray, little,   deehan , great times to follow the villa . 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Didn’t realise Tony was expecting a knee replacement too - I am undergoing in 2 weeks time too. 

‘I wish Tony a speedy recovery , I know the rehab is hard work and trust he will hopefully be back at villa park in time to see the promotion climax . 

Good luck with that too Eastie. 

One of my mates suffers terribly with the knees but they won't do them for him yet as they say he's too young, so I know how it's a real big issue for people with knee problems. 

Get well soon Tony. 

Obviously people remember the Everton goal and the cross for Withe, but I love his second against Dynamo Berlin (starts about a minute in). And seeing on the replay the way the ball bobbles up before he slots it in certainly puts some perspective on recent comments about the state of the Villa Park pitch.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Good luck with that too Eastie. 

One of my mates suffers terribly with the knees but they won't do them for him yet as they say he's too young, so I know how it's a real big issue for people with knee problems. 

Thanks pal -Had the same situation mate for the last 3 yrs but at 52 they have relented and agreed to do the operation 

‘tell him to keep pressuring them . 

Edited by Eastie

I wouldn't over look Tony's post playing involvement with Villa either, he has always been one of us. I still get a nice smile thinking of the time he was commentating one of our games and he just laid into N'Zogbia about how little effort he had put into his Villa career. He was genuinely angry about it and said what many of us were thinking.

• Like 4

I remember when we brought him, from Burnley , I think, he was one of the final cog's in the machine, that was the great Aston Villa team of the early eighties.

Incidentally, my dad knew him and Sid personally . He had a flower stall in Sutton that they occasionally patronised.

• Like 2

Â