Pre Match Thread

TheAuthority

I don't like that line up, it's shite.

We will be on the back foot all day. Should have replaced Adomah with Grabban and replaced Grealish with Onomah.

Bjarnason is utter dogshit on the left

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That team is designed to come for a point. Can't see us getting anything with that line-up its just too defensive for me

Setup perfectly considering we're away to a team breathing down our necks.

Bruce ball, hoof ball, beach ball.. I don't care how we get a valuble point today.

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Too defensive. Will be under pressure for entire match, which is too much. We should not be running scared just because we have injuries to 2 admittedly important players.

I don't think we are running scared, we are setup very sensibly in my opinion and a good team.

If we come here with all out attack we risk having our arses handed to us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't think we are running scared, we are setup very sensibly in my opinion and a good team.

Agree, SB has picked the team    Not to lose   with a sprinkle of players who van shoot on site 

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The problem is its inviting pressure on us and there is so little pace in that midfield.  I would have played two up top. Hogan will have zero service and will struggle coming in deep I think

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Agreed. But I just think we will need more offensive options. Cannot see what Hogan can be expected to do apart from joining the midfield most of the time.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree with this and think it's a sensible move by Bruce. I think we're expecting Fulham to play very offensively, so if we can contain and frustrate them we should be able to knick something. We also have good options off the bench for running against tired legs. Will be an interesting match I think.

• Like 1

Set up to contain then. We're going to have to make the most of any corners and set pieces today to come away with something. Posession will probably be surrendered, but hopefully theres enough nouse in there to stifle and frustrate them.

If it is 4-2-3-1, I dunno, BB has done very well in the holding role, but I have a feeling he'll be on the left of the 3 behind Hogan, where he is much less effective. Still, if we can pull off a result here we'll have no choice but to laud Bruce as the Messiah and praise his new found tactical genius.

Anyway, UTV! Drive home that goalless draw!

• Like 1

Green has a knock apparently which is why he isn't involved.

I don't get the calls for Lansbury to be starting as he has had next to no game time over the last couple of months. O'Hare may have been an option on the bench.

We are also not sure how we will line up yet. It may be that Axel goes to right back and Elmo plays wide left with Bjarnason in the middle. Having said that you don't want to disrupt the side anymore than is necessary so I'd imagine Bjarnason will play wide left and Axel will play in the middle with Hourihane pushed further forward into the Grealish role. 

There is no doubt we are weaker without Grealish and Adomah but Bjarnason hasn't let us down when called upon over the last couple of months and Axel has the ability to excel at this level and will be out to impress to stake a claim for a regular starting berth which is why he came here.

I'd imagine the plan is to initially keep it tight, weather any early storm and then look to assert ourselves. We also have some very good attacking options off the bench and options to change formation in Grabban, Davis and Onomah.

• Like 2

Given the defence nature of our options with Grealish and Adomah out, i think with the players available, a 4-4-2 would have been the way to go. Something like this. 

Snodgrass   Jedinak   Hourihane   Thor

Hogan     Grabban 

That for me is enough defensively and offensively. 

I guess I just come from an older school of fan where what you do on match day is cheer for the team rather than spend ages on detailed negativity about the manager’s selection.

So, c’mon you Villa boys! Those who are newly in the team, do the shirt proud.

• Like 2