Pre Match Thread

TheAuthority

18 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I can’t see jedi being left out today .

Not at all based on his performance against Blues, just on horses for courses. As I see it, there are basically three teams in the division that play quick, intricate passing, attacking football consistently - Wolves, Fulham and Brentford. Against these teams, mobility is so key - against Brentford away we had Jedi and Whelan in the middle of the park (as Bruce wanted to go more defensive so as not to get overrun) and got absolutely destroyed, because they just couldn’t keep up. Obviously that was exacerbated by having both in there, but even with just Jedi plus Hourihane I really think we’d struggle to keep up with the movement (Wolves away we had Whelan and Hourihane and again got nowhere near them, but this was in a 4-4-2 tbf so no extra help from a CAM).

Fulham are barely ever going to be playing it long, and so Jedi’s main strength (aerial ability) won’t be required, and I really think Birkir’s mobility would stand us in far better stead. However, if Jack and Lansbury are out I don’t think we have a better option than Jedinak-Bjarnason-Hourihane, unless Bruce is prepared to throw in a curveball and play someone like O’Hare which seems highly unlikely. Again, this is nothing against Jedi and I’d have him back in against the sides (of which there are plenty in this division) who you know will just be lumping it long and playing for set pieces, but Fulham aren’t one of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

This I see as a problem. Tuanzebe was impressive when he came on, but might be too inexperienced at this time. The other choice wold be Bree, but again, there is the lack of experience. I doubt if Bruce will drop Elmohamadi.

Yeah I don’t think Elmo will be dropped (and don’t think he should either, given the partnership he has with Snod and our overall defensive solidity), but it is a major concern for sure as he will really have to be on it. From memory Bree played in this fixture last season (was potentially subbed on/moved positions after JK got sent off?) and was one of the players having real problems.

It is bad news, but if true doesn't mean we just roll over and die, it's why we have a SQUAD.

My option would be, Push Hourihane into Jacks spot, and bring Thor in beside/ in front of Jedi.

OR put Hogan in Jacks spot, because he is deceptively quick and witty, starting Grabban/Davis in his spot.

• Like 2

One game is not season defining.....but we must not lose.

If its a risk to 2 influential players, best to not risk them.

I think he will go for physicality and a containing game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Hopefully jack will play on Tuesday against Preston .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Hopefully jack will play on Tuesday against Preston .

I think thats what the little tinker has in mind.

He maybe thinking too many attacking players, may concede more possession to them and will use the injuries as an opportunity, to play it tight.He will not want to go gungho and get undone, that would damage the season.

Keep his powder dry for Preston.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think thats what the little tinker has in mind.

He maybe thinking too many attacking players, may concede more possession to them and will use the injuries as an opportunity, to play it tight.He will not want to go gungho and get undone, that would damage the season.

Keep his powder dry for Preston.

We're also playing away which Bruce outlined in the press conference allows us to rely more on our defensive players. 

I think the plan here is to stifle the game and score a couple on the break. On paper even without Adomah and Grealish we should still be too much for Fulham on the attack. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlos_the_third said:

Not at all based on his performance against Blues, just on horses for courses. As I see it, there are basically three teams in the division that play quick, intricate passing, attacking football consistently - Wolves, Fulham and Brentford. Against these teams, mobility is so key - against Brentford away we had Jedi and Whelan in the middle of the park (as Bruce wanted to go more defensive so as not to get overrun) and got absolutely destroyed, because they just couldn’t keep up. Obviously that was exacerbated by having both in there, but even with just Jedi plus Hourihane I really think we’d struggle to keep up with the movement (Wolves away we had Whelan and Hourihane and again got nowhere near them, but this was in a 4-4-2 tbf so no extra help from a CAM).

Fulham are barely ever going to be playing it long, and so Jedi’s main strength (aerial ability) won’t be required, and I really think Birkir’s mobility would stand us in far better stead. However, if Jack and Lansbury are out I don’t think we have a better option than Jedinak-Bjarnason-Hourihane, unless Bruce is prepared to throw in a curveball and play someone like O’Hare which seems highly unlikely. Again, this is nothing against Jedi and I’d have him back in against the sides (of which there are plenty in this division) who you know will just be lumping it long and playing for set pieces, but Fulham aren’t one of them.

Good points....not just going on stats, but i think we haven't lost while playing Jed in midfield?

Hmmmmmm

I think he will start with him and monitor it.

Just now, AVTuco said:

So this is it then, end of the line for us. A draw would be disappointing, but ok. We should go for a 0-1 win.

Goodness gracious man - keep your chin up you old crow !

We have coped with injuries before - remember boro away ?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

True, one game is not season defining, but if we do lose, the most important thing is that we win the next one.

Agree its too much to risk our most influential flair players. 

• Like 2