The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, penguin said:

MOTD saying the Arsenal goal should have stood. Xhaka is literally standing right in front of the GK and has to jump out the way of the ball, if that isn’t having an influence on play what is? The offside rule is a **** joke at the moment.

Pet peeve of mine, not even sure if “influence” is written in the rules but the likes of the one we had vs Man City last season are infuriating and possibly the biggest example of officials don’t understand football, of course a guy stood in the 6 yard box is influencing the keepers decision making

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Pet peeve of mine, not even sure if “influence” is written in the rules but the likes of the one we had vs Man City last season are infuriating and possibly the biggest example of officials don’t understand football, of course a guy stood in the 6 yard box is influencing the keepers decision making

This is true, but Xhaka is literally stepping on GK toes when the corner is taken and backing into him. He doesn't move from the position - granted - but it does force the GK to move.

As such he's in an offside position when the header happened. He never strayed from that position and clearly influenced the keepers decision to move. Correct call, for mine.

If you see the camera angle from directly behind the goal you can see acres of space between the keeper and Xhaka. 

Xhaka being stood where he was had zero bearing on what the goalkeeper did.

But Xhaka did have to proactively get out of the way of the ball so I think it could have been called either way.

Another grey area in the rules and a subjective decision, another one that VAR cannot solve but still we persist with it and expect it to some day work so perfectly that these situations don’t occur, which will never happen unless we  change the rules of football to make it clinical.

Yesterday was the first time this season that a ref went to the monitor but kept the original decision (disagreed with VAR). Brighton player "won" the ball and went on to score from the resulting attack.

This was the best clip I could find. Ref was literally 2m away from the live play and spent about 2 mins watching it back on the monitor, but decided no foul committed by the Brighton player.

Ref was probably just making things even for this absolute bollocks pen given earlier in the match. Kane makes no attempt for the ball (is looking at the man to see where the contact will be) and places Lallana in danger of injury by purposely clattering into him while airborne, yet somehow gets a pen.

Edited by a-k

Show some common sense

1) Is he offside? yes, ok

2) Watch it in real time and check whether it made a difference (it didn't)

you may as well not play the game and do it all via stats and odds if they're officiating the game like this

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Show some common sense

1) Is he offside? yes, ok

2) Watch it in real time and check whether it made a difference (it didn't)

you may as well not play the game and do it all via stats and odds if they're officiating the game like this

5 goalkeepers on the line wouldn't have saved that. Ridiculous decision 

On 26/10/2020 at 00:01, villa4europe said:

2 weeks old... 

Barkley was offside 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But to me it is common sense

What they need to do is apply that rule more and be consistent with it

It took nearly 5 minutes to arrive at a decision that without var, wouldn't have been mentioned after the game, it was a good goal

Yet VAR determines an inch offside, against a shot that would never be saved is ruled out, after 5 fuxking minutes 

• Like 1

Oh yeah that I definitley agree with

It didn't need VAR to check that was offside and get the lines out, it was blatant, what it needed was Atkinson to take a 30 second look and say interfering with play or not

That's the decision that needed making 

Disagree that no one talks about it after, if arsenal score that vs us I'd be moaning about it for the rest of the year, I'm still moaning about man city's 

• Like 1

Â