The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I understand and agree that Barkley was offsides. What I don't understand is how it took so long (about 5 mins it felt). It looked clear and when the VAR put the lines in, it said offside but then Atkinson went over to the monitor... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It also took 4 minutes and 20 seconds to determine the ‘clear’ offence.

42 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I understand and agree that Barkley was offsides. What I don't understand is how it took so long (about 5 mins it felt). It looked clear and when the VAR put the lines in, it said offside but then Atkinson went over to the monitor... 

Because they wanted Atkinson's opinion on whether the keeper's line of sight was restricted but the monitor wasn't working.

The broken monitor is the only reason why it took so long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So clear that not a single player on either side saw it, nor the match officials, nor the commentators or any of either set of fans I’d wager a guess.

But yeah, aside from not a single person involved seeing anything wrong with it it’s a clear call.

Nah, only took 3 minutes according to the stoppage time at the end of the half

season 3 dog GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It was stupid as soon as they started drawing the lines, didn't need to do it it was so obvious, almost like they didn't understand what "was Barkley offside?" actually meant 

They checked 2 things, the line and then GKs view and then they got Atkinson to check the view too

2 of those 3 things didn't need to happen if they knew how to use VAR properly 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So if a player is standing a yard offside but nobody notices then it should be a goal?

Or if the ball is a foot over the line but nobody appeals then the goal shouldn't be given?

Sounds like a really bad way of judging it to me. 

Well we could go to the tennis method - each captain/manager gets 3 VAR appeals a match.   

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because they wanted Atkinson's opinion on whether the keeper's line of sight was restricted but the monitor wasn't working.

The broken monitor is the only reason why it took so long.

The only reason? I don’t think so, it maybe added a minute 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The only reason? I don’t think so, it maybe added a minute 

Yes. The only reason it took far longer than a usual VAR review is because the monitor was broken.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So clear that not a single player on either side saw it, nor the match officials, nor the commentators or any of either set of fans I’d wager a guess.

But yeah, aside from not a single person involved seeing anything wrong with it it’s a clear call.

If it'd deflected off him, it would have been flagged immediately. 

The deliberation was about whether he affected the ability of the keeper to see or make a play on the shot. I think he pretty clearly did, he was directly between Leno and McGinn. We all know that Leno almost certainly wouldn't have saved it anyway, but that doesn't make it less offside

• Like 2

9 hours ago, a-k said:

Nah, only took 3 minutes according to the stoppage time at the end of the half

season 3 dog GIF

That's one of my annoyances. Time added on is an arbitrary number and disregards how long is actually lost during the half.

• Like 2

IMHO VAR Should only be used to clear up indecision,confusion or to settle a complaint made by the captain of either team.

If no one sees anything wrong ( as in the Arsenal V Villa game ) then VAR should not be used.I mean FFS if no one saw anything wrong with the goal,then surely it should stand.Like the old days with penalties.Sometimes you got them sometimes you didnt but it all evened itself out by the end of the season.

The way this looks is that VAR is the only one complaining and holding up the game while its at it,not to mention taking the passon out of a goal being scored. 

• Like 1

Agreed, football is an art and art is imperfect at times.

It’s emotion, both euphoria and despair and it’s ruining the essence of the game - it’s already changed how i celebrate goals and I’d be surprised if it’s not done the same for everyone by now.

I’m amazed people are still defending it but then they’re the same people who welcomed it with open arms to begin with so I guess once you plant your flag these days that’s what’s you stand.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO VAR Should only be used to clear up indecision,confusion or to settle a complaint made by the captain of either team.

If no one sees anything wrong ( as in the Arsenal V Villa game ) then VAR should not be used.I mean FFS if no one saw anything wrong with the goal,then surely it should stand.Like the old days with penalties.Sometimes you got them sometimes you didnt but it all evened itself out by the end of the season.

The way this looks is that VAR is the only one complaining and holding up the game while its at it,not to mention taking the passon out of a goal being scored. 

So if Neil Maupay scores a goal with his hand tomorrow but nobody notices then the goal should stand even if VAR can clearly see it?

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So if Neil Maupay scores a goal with his hand tomorrow but nobody notices then the goal should stand even if VAR can clearly see it?

If that's the price we pay to have our game back, then yes. 

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'll tell you why VAR is shit and I want it gone.

And its a message for all those who go on about the importance of getting the decision right, and that it's not the technology at fault, it works fine, it's the people misusing the technology.  I say this. 

What is it that makes football great? What is it ultimately all about? 

Yes skill and the beauty of the game is important, massively.  But ultimately football is ALL about the goal.  It's a game played over 90 minutes which ultimately boils down to on average 2 or 3 10 second moments of absolute ecstasy.  That complete explosion of utter joy, excited jumping around, screaming, hugging your mates, hugging complete strangers. Yelling "what a f*****g goal" jeering the opposition, singing the name of the scorer, general pandemonium. 

The reason VAR is a cancer on the game, regardless of correct decision or not, regardless of technology or people being wrong is that it's killing that spontaneous joy.  I've stopped even getting excited when we score now, players are the same. It's killing the game. 

Yes you had false starts before but 1) the flag usually goes up or ref blows pretty much immediately 99% of the time and 2) it doesn't happened very often relative to VAR decisions. 

Getting the right decision is important, but the joy of the game and the essence of the goal is paramount. 

I found a rather cunning  way of combatting VAR. I double the amount I drink before the game or often treble it. The moment we score I still celebrate as I used to before VAR. if the goal gets chalked off I generally do not remember the next morning, the only off point is that I do not remember the genuine goals either, that said you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes, it should because over a season I am sure we will score some similar goals.

• Confused 1

Â