The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Suck my balls VAR you **** piece of shit you continually ruin football and ruin peoples weekends! Its getting beyond a joke now its weighted to get the so called top teams to the top.  There was a similar penalty the other week forget now who but player brushes the ball but takes the man out.  Decision Pen.  Just **** OFF 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What's the point of going to the monitor if you're just going to look at 1 angle? You saw the same angle in real time ffs.

the point of them going to the monitor is so that the ref still looks like the man in charge and gives the impression that he made the decision. no other reason for it. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but not once has a ref been sent to the monitor and kept his on field decision

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind that not being a penalty, if it was consistent.

Trezeguet threw himself to the floor, that's beyond doubt. He chucks both legs back and pretend sit was much worse contact than it was.

I'd happily see that be a bookable offence. But the fact is, penalties like that get given every week and we never see it pulled back like that against Liverpool and Man United. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the point of them going to the monitor is so that the ref still looks like the man in charge and gives the impression that he made the decision. no other reason for it. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but not once has a ref been sent to the monitor and kept his on field decision

The ref has disagreed with VAR only once. Incidentally, that decision also went in Brighton's favour (although you can't claim VAR bias here since VAR suggested the decision go against Brighton):

On 02/11/2020 at 14:06, a-k said:

Yesterday was the first time this season that a ref went to the monitor but kept the original decision (disagreed with VAR). Brighton player "won" the ball and went on to score from the resulting attack.

This was the best clip I could find. Ref was literally 2m away from the live play and spent about 2 mins watching it back on the monitor, but decided no foul committed by the Brighton player.

Ref was probably just making things even for this absolute bollocks pen given earlier in the match. Kane makes no attempt for the ball (is looking at the man to see where the contact will be) and places Lallana in danger of injury by purposely clattering into him while airborne, yet somehow gets a pen.

4 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

This is the main point for me, and something I've mentioned multiple times here. It's a farce to claim VAR is there to overturn clear and obvious errors, when in most cases it is just a second referee giving his subjective opinion on a close call.

When I saw it live, I thought Trez went down fairly easily and maybe wasn't a pen. Then, watching the first replay, I saw a clear foot to shin with an exaggerated fall by Trez. After the 1000th replay, I noticed March got a foot on the ball before following through on Trez (got a foot on the ball is not the same as play the ball). However, in the modern game just touching the ball first is no longer sufficient to avoid a foul, and if this was elsewhere on the pitch then it probably would have been a free kick. On the other hand, if we were 2-1 up and that was given as a pen against us, I'm sure some of us on here would be fuming.

The point from the above paragraph is that the decision could go either way. Thus, it is not a clear and obvious error and the on-field decision should stand.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, a-k said:

This is the main point for me, and something I've mentioned multiple times here. It's a farce to claim VAR is there to overturn clear and obvious errors, when in most cases it is just a second referee giving his subjective opinion on a close call.

When I saw it live, I thought Trez went down fairly easily and maybe wasn't a pen. Then, watching the first replay, I saw a clear foot to shin with an exaggerated fall by Trez. After the 1000th replay, I noticed March got a foot on the ball before following through on Trez (got a foot on the ball is not the same as play the ball). However, in the modern game just touching the ball first is no longer sufficient to avoid a foul, and if this was elsewhere on the pitch then it probably would have been a free kick. On the other hand, if we were 2-1 up and that was given as a pen against us, I'm sure some of us on here would be fuming.

The point from the above paragraph is that the decision could go either way. Thus, it is not a clear and obvious error and the on-field decision should stand.

yeah when I watched it live I thought Trez went down way to easily. But there was definite contact. If it hadn't been given on the pitch, there wasn't; enough to overturn for me. 

Also haven't seen other decisions like that get overturned this season which is why it stings more

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, a-k said:

"Clear and obvious" is no longer a caveat then? I have no idea at this point.

The fact that was overturned and Fernandes' penalty against us last season got no more than a quick scan and allowed really boils my piss.

• Like 2

I don't think it was a clear and obvious error and therefor VAR should not have intervened. Some people will say it was not a pen. Some people will say it was a pen. No reason to rule it out.

Had it been Man Utd or Liverpool it been given tho. 100 %

• Like 2

As I said on the match thread ref felt he had to overturn it because VAR told him to look at the screen. 

Had he not given it the same would have happened but he would overturned his original decision of not giving it and everyone would have said correct decision by VAR.

Some very odd refereeing as always.

I think var should just be used for offside decisions and that’s it, 

it’s ruining football. I hope they get rid of it next season, I think I prefer getting screwed over by a poor referee decision then having every incident bloody reviewed, it’s ruining the flow of the game.

Â