The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

They won’t vote to scrap it. 

I wish they would. But they won’t. 
Aston Villa certainly won’t be voting to scrap it

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I’d assume the new offside system comes in next season irrespective. They could probably operate that and sack off VAR. 

That would be ideal. 

I mean I’d happily scrap the whole thing. Offsides and all. 

But I’d be wary that it would make it more difficult for Villa to play the way they do

shouldnt be scrapped.

on top of that, we benefit from it with our offside trap.

to be honest, VAR isnt the problem, the problem is the Neanderthals operating it.

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’d assume the new offside system comes in next season irrespective. They could probably operate that and sack off VAR. 

the new offside system takes away the lengthy delays so that surely will stay

in an ideal world, you'd go right back to the drawing board. spend the summer showing the refs clip after clip after clip and explaining which they should intervene with. unfortunately the current crop of officials are just so incompetent that it would be impossible for them not to interfere when they shouldn't. they just are not capable of it. it's in their DNA to over-referee things and there's no training that can be done to current referees to change that

the only thing that MIGHT work is to have specially trained VARs...individuals that never have and never will set foot on the grass. but that wouldn't happen.

The tech it's fine it is those brain-dead monkeys on and off the field that's the problem. Remembered on Monday night Liverpool managed only just one booking from all their fouls, that booking for just kicking the ball away. Same thing happened towards the end of match nothing was given. This sort of incompetence officiating has nothing to do with tech.

Perhaps making the whole thing transparent would help.

• Like 1

The quote I heard waa "VAR has gone way beyond it's remit".

I totally agree with that statement. Referees have got lazy, an yes they still make the odd mistake in Europe, but the referees still control the game. In the Prem, VAR controls the game and the referees lap it up.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hmm I don’t know, with our high line approach we’re probably better served it being kept in, at least for offside calls anyway.

I mean, I hate it when goals are disallowed because someone’s left testicle is offside but at least offside is objective, it either is or isn’t.

Depends how the lines are drawn.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

But for subjective things like handballs and penalties then I have no issue with it being scraped. VAR is a complete lottery on those things anyway.

This is where the issue is, one week something is given as a penalty the following week it isn't. There is no consistency. 

That's what causes such an uproar, that's where I would be happy to see it scrapped

Posted (edited)

Our referees are so reliant on VAR (regardless of it being utilised properly) that they’ve forgotten how to make their own decisions so I foresee loads of poor decisions from the off if VAR is stopped.

our refs simply arent good enough. 

they need to change the way it’s used during games and make the decision process quicker and more transparent to the crowd. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Thanks 1

People would be screaming about it when there's a howler that they think VAR would have prevented, but yeah,. I'm another who'd happily see it gone, it frustrates me so much in almost every game, even when they get it right, I don't think it's worth the downsides.

I'd actually like them to just keep it but improve it, but what are the chances?

I think it's really hard to set a threshold for correcting subjective decisions without it overstepping the line and re-refereeing the game. I think on balance, if I had my way I'd keep it for serious missed incidents where the ref has either completely missed something, or asks for a review because he didn't get a proper look.

• Like 1

I think one of the issues in how VAR is implemented is the clarity of comms between the officials. The transcript from the Liverpool/Spurs game back in October (Link below) shows a lack of control of the situation and tbh there are more mates in it then a SHA night drinking in town.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/03/var-audio-full-transcript-luis-diaz-goal-liverpool-tottenham

I'm not against VAR for blatantly obvious errors but there is so much they could do to improve the communication to the crowd. There is a reason the conversation between the Ref and VAR isn't broadcast and that's because of the informal approach to how decisions are made.

mate 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

Keeping semi automated offsides and scrapping the rest im would be a dream scenario for me. 

Yep, completely agree with this

• Like 1

Don't like VAR at all, but contentious decisions, penalties etc, if done properly, I'll support it.

The offside shit, **** that, that's what kills the game.

3 hours ago, Alakagom said:

On sidenote, if the vote fails as it should, Wolves might get few questionable calls more against them 🤣

It really cant be any worse

Â