• Grealish
    • Hogan
    • Bjarnason (Adomah 70)
    • O'Hare (Grealish 80)
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Hogan 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/18 at 15:00

OMG WTF happened tonight? Stunned. Everything went our way tonight though- 6 shots on target 5 goals, plus had City pulled it back to 2-1 it might have been a very different game. I thought they were a bit naive going all out attack, we just took them apart really. Grealish MOTM for me.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Yeah, the only negative thing about today was booing Nathan Baker.. that lacked class.

In fairness to the few who booed Baker it only happened after Baker took Grealish out with an unnecessary, late and bad tackle. If anything lacked class it was Baker's tackle.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brommy said:

In fairness to the few who booed Baker it only happened after Baker took Grealish out with an unnecessary, late and bad tackle. If anything lacked class it was Baker's tackle.

Fair enough, I didnt realise that had happened

• Like 1

Gealish , Hourihane and Hogan all worked extremely hard today , pressurising their defense . Hourihane, Grealish and Jedinack all complemented each other perfectly in the middle .

Fantastic result ,  hope this team starts the next match.

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

On page 4 of the reactions thread and still no sign of THAT pic of the southpark bloke sat at his pc, after what looks like a huge toothpaste "accident" :D

1V0M2ob.jpeg

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched the goals back. The first 2 goals was pretty shocking goalkeeping. Bit of luck for us they had him in goal. They badly need their number 1 keeper back or I can see them dropping more points. 

I was at the game and now I have watched several replays of the goals. Their keeper couldn't have done better for Hogan's header unless he was 7 feet tall. Headers like that have a habit of making even great keepers look foolish. Their keeper was slightly unfortunate for our second goal in that it fell to Snoddy and not a BC defender which then would have noted as a decent save.

Steele's performance was not the reason they got tanked. Even Sky's player ratings gave him a '6' and the joint top score for their team. I doubt their regular keeper would have changed the score much and certainly not the result.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

Makes you just wonder if beating 'Boro, a top team in the league, has given them the confidence boost needed against the top teams in this league? Maybe we have past a psychological barrier and we will see a different mentality from now on. Let's face it, if you can't gain confidence from that then you never will lads. 

Brilliant performance today and what we all look for because we - the hysterical ones - believe that is what you all should be capable of.

If I was following the ramblings of the hysterical ones correctly, wasn’t the claim that Steve Bruce could NEVER produce a performance like that so should be sacked immediately.

So please don’t try to claim any ownership of today’s performance on behalf of the hysterical ones.

You are right to have twigged that the team have been under immense pressure - of a sort they have probably never experienced in their former clubs.

So what Villa fans should be doing is getting behind the players and supporting them rather than releasing waves of negativity every time a performance falls below perfection.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

5-0 unbelievable Jeff

We have the players to be at least 2nd

today showed that

or maybe its all down to Agnew

Maybe its down to the confidence the players have found.

32 minutes ago, brommy said:

A thoroughly vindictive challenge.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched the goals back. The first 2 goals was pretty shocking goalkeeping. Bit of luck for us they had him in goal. They badly need their number 1 keeper back or I can see them dropping more points. 

I haven't had the benefit of watching the goals back....but the first one looked like an Andy Gray goal to me......The second was another flashing header on target only for the goalie to parry and snoddy to score.

not going to even attempt to dilute that fine performance and fine result.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, striker said:

Been out all day and just returned to see the result. Couldn’t believe it!! Fantastic result and Grealish shoved my above criticism right down the back of my throat.

I also stated in the pre match thread depending on team selection it might be a long night for Villa. No Whelan but Jedi played so wrong again and very glad to admit it.

That performance has set the benchmark now and please Brucey no more negativity cause see what happens when you show teams less respect in this league.

Always knew Villa had the players to destroy this league so maybe Bruce will know it now too?

I don't think it had much to do with Bruce, it was a team that found its confidence...jack was phenomenal.

Tommy Elphick rammed my comments down my throat too.....Hogan showed a finishing touch and effervesence.

This team deserve all the credit for this performance and result.

I am delighted.

• Like 1

Scored 5....deserved 10...really were that good today.

Jack really was that good too, simply dominated them!

We didnt play on the break either, just swarmed the midfield. They simply couuldnt get out of their half for more than a couple of breaks.

Hats off to Hogan, just hope its the start of a proper career here now!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If I was following the ramblings of the hysterical ones correctly, wasn’t the claim that Steve Bruce could NEVER produce a performance like that so should be sacked immediately.

So please don’t try to claim any ownership of today’s performance on behalf of the hysterical ones.

You are right to have twigged that the team have been under immense pressure - of a sort they have probably never experienced in their former clubs.

So what Villa fans should be doing is getting behind the players and supporting them rather than releasing waves of negativity every time a performance falls below perfection.

I would say that I fall into the category of being "hysterical" because I was calling for the manager to be changed. I saw no sign of Villa producing that kind of performance that they produced today - did you? Be honest? Did you really watch Villa this season, or last, and believe that we could produce that kind of performance and result with Steve Bruce in charge?

I believed that the players, if coached/managed the right way, were capable of punishing teams in this league based purely on their individual ability. I didn't think they were world beaters but did believe they are not that bad and could hammer teams if let off the leash. 

My problem with Bruce was that every time we seemed to take a lead in a game we appeared to retreat back to protect the lead and play on the break, which, against the better teams almost always backfired. It may be a case that it was purely all down to the players, over and over, and tonight the penny finally dropped. Somehow, I doubt it. 

I didn't say Bruce could never get this kind of performance from his team. I just felt that we wouldn't get it and it would ultimately cost us promotion. That doesn't mean he would never get it - just that I felt he wouldn't get it in time to get us promoted. 

I am sure a lot of those players have experienced this sort of pressure before as quite a few have been promoted before - Jedinak, Elmohamady, Adomah, Snodgrass, Chester - five of the mainstays of our team for example. 

I agree we should all get behind the team but, surely fans should be allowed to voice their concerns when they see promotion so possible  but see football that leaves them feeling we will not be able to compete against those we will need to beat in order to get that promotion. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Was just going to say the same. Typical Baker, he made numerous challenges like that for us, some got ball and some got player. Before that he wasn’t receiving any abuse. 

Great result and performance. Could have been more we were dominant at the end of the first half after a shaky first ten minutes. Could have been different if they’d have scored but they were so open after the formation change I’d have still backed us to score a couple more. 

• Like 1

Â