So what would you do?

Grasshopper

I started this thread with the hope of hearing suggestions from VTers to say „What I would do is.......“

But as Stevo typically brought the thread down to gutter level.

Suggest and discuss not provoke and insult please

1 minute ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Bielsa at Villa would end in a serious amount of tears.

He left Lazio after a few days as he didnt get players he demanded

Can imagine his face when he turns up and finds out we signed 3 more right backs instead of a creative midfielder

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Stop spunking money on shit, clear the decks, get bold, fresh ideas and young vibrant coaches around the place, along with the implementation of youth academy players and prospects from abroad, and lower down the leagues.

I would also stop all this bollocks talk about promotion and come to terms that we are going to be down here for a few years...and start budgeting accordingly.

No doubt we will go out and spunk a load of money in January though on the gamble of promotion and FFP fines.

thanx

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Steve Round is a football man installed by Dr Xia above the first team manager and he also brought in Brian Little to the board. 

I agree that Dr Xia has brought in football men, he solved that problem, which I attributed to the former Lerner regime. I’d like to think that Brian would be a great board member, he certainly has claret and blue blood in his veins. Steve Round I think has a long term role and it is always difficult for fans to assess what guys like him do and if they are successful or not. Although I’d doubt the long term plan, including “The Villa Engine”, is currently anything but on the back burner. Hopefully the current first team style of play isn’t what we will be serving up in the future.

It’s just that I think we seem to be operating as an old fashioned club and as such are being left behind both on and off the pitch. For this I suggest that by having an old style CEO, this is hardly surprising. Obviously I know no more than most fans, but that’s just my take on it. Hopefully as a younger owner The Doc sees through younger eyes and recognises the need for a more progressive approach that many of our rivals have already adopted.

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

If it’s going to depend on transfer dealings then surely the change needs to be made ASAP before the window opens - let a new man bring  in a couple of his choice 

Agreed. I'd appoint smith now, but back him with his style of players. No one imo would get us higher than the playoffs with the players currently available. 

5 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Agreed. I'd appoint smith now, but back him with his style of players. No one imo would get us higher than the playoffs with the players currently available. 

The gap now is probably too big to aim for any higher than the play offs - will be interesting on Boxing Day to see the managers styles go head to head - they’ve looked better than us both times so far under Bruce and by quite some distance 

58 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I started this thread with the hope of hearing suggestions from VTers to say „What I would do is.......“

But as Stevo typically brought the thread down to gutter level.

Suggest and discuss not provoke and insult please

Yes sorry. I forgot nobody is allowed to challenge your opinion. 

How silly of me. 

Sorry grasshopper. Everything you said is definitely not absolutely mental

• Thanks 1

Whilst we are still in the playoffs it would be crazy to replace Bruce unless the club have a clear vision and a manager who they think can take us on. 

Unfortunately I think the vision stems as far as getting somebody in who has championship promotion experience.

I don’t have any faith in the club to make a positive change. 

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I just can't agree with this. 

I can't look at the squad we have and think the only thing stopping them plummeting down the table is the football steve bruce instructs them to play. 

I think a lot of very average managers would get this team in the playoffs. I don't for one second think a new approach would end in disaster  

I imagine this fear is the kind of thing wyness will be selling to dr t

If Dean Smith's style is as radically opposed to Bruce's style as most people on this site make out, then it will take some time for players to become comfortable in that style. There are lots of games in the meantime. 

There are really no guarantees. A whole summer - without any competitive matches - spent trying to make Palace a possession-based passing side didn't help Frank De Boer. 

Don't assume that just because you don't like Bruce, we're guaranteed to improve immediately by removing him. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

The gap now is probably too big to aim for any higher than the play offs - will be interesting on Boxing Day to see the managers styles go head to head - they’ve looked better than us both times so far under Bruce and by quite some distance 

9 points off 2nd with 23 games to play, including one against 2nd. Beat them and we would only need to win 2 more games than they do over the course of half a season. Hardly an insurmountable task. Plenty of teams have made up nine points in a month to stay up or go up when it gets to the final few games

17 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

9 points off 2nd with 23 games to play, including one against 2nd. Beat them and we would only need to win 2 more games than they do over the course of half a season. Hardly an insurmountable task. Plenty of teams have made up nine points in a month to stay up or go up when it gets to the final few games

Not doubting we can catch Cardiff or Bristol city - I do not think we will catch derby though .

7 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I'd like one of Bielsa, Hiddink, Flores, Heckingbottom, Pulis, Guidolin, Laudrup or Koeman.

Bielsa-Would excite many but dosen't speak English and not sure his incredible presssing game would work with our over 30s somehow...

Hiddink- Basically retired and only manages top clubs from what I see.

Flores- Liked him when he was at Watford, might be out of a job soon so possible.

Heckingbottom- Done very well at Barnsley but going through his first bad spell as manager so want to see if he can get through it and keep them up.

Pulis- Yes possible but imagine the reaction on here!

Laudrup- Has he worked since Swansea?

Koeman- Turned down Swansea so really don't see him being interested.

I can see why people would want Bruce gone, I'm mobbing towards that myself. But personally I can't see Xia sacking him, especially with us still in the play off places. He'd be highly criticised by the media and if he didn't have anyone already lined up, it would be pointless.

I don't follow football anywhere near as much as I used to so don't really know who's out there. I've said for a while that I think Dyche would be perfect for us, but he's not going to drop a division to come to us. If however, by luck or by crook we did go up, I'd definitely go all out for him. After that, I've always liked the idea of Sampioli, but again why would he leave Argentina for us? Plus his style is very much a risk, and be questionable whether it would work in England 

8 hours ago, Eastie said:

Next 3 games are very tough - failure to win would see us 7 games without a win and surely the axe would have to fall in such circumstances .

We went 11 games without a win including 9 defeats just under a year ago..  Bruce must have some dodgy pictures of Wyness or something

• Haha 1

Â