So what would you do?

Grasshopper

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think they will see where we are after the Bristol city game as there is 12 days league break then and the window will be open . 

‘I fear we could be as low as 10th by next Monday 

That's what I suspect as well, on both counts. 

Just now, Eastie said:

Would you say you were interested in another job if you were manager of a club in the same division? Of course he would say that !

Thing is Bristol City is Johnsons club.

He played here for several years, missed out on the Premier League with us by 90 minutes and has had an incredible relationship with the owner from his playing days.

Our owner was a reference for Lee when he got his first managers job and it was always intended he would manage us.

When coming here he described Bristol City as "my Real Madrid".

Obviously I'm not naive enough to believe he would turn anyone and everyone down, but Barnsley and Oldham we're 'just another club' to Johnson, we aren't. Why would he leave now, particularly as he has a point to prove about Lansdown being right to stick with him last season.

From Johnson last year when things weren't quite as good as they are now.

But Johnson has assured supporters he has no intention of moving on again.

He told the Bristol Post: "Why would I want to leave when I'm so happy?"

Johnson added: "I want people to know I'm doing nothing to put myself in the shop window or attract interest from outside."

He's at a club where he knows the owner and has done for over 10 years, there is friendship and trust between them. He has bought into the project we are working towards and is starting to see some of the young players he signed develop into extremely good players.

Why would he leave to join somewhere where there would be immense pressure from day one, where he would need to rebuild a squad into what he wants, and where he doesn't know he will have the time to turn things around?

I don't see Johnson leaving for anyone at this point in time, none of the big clubs in a higher position would be after him, and that's what it would need to tempt him away. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He played here for several years, missed out on the Premier League with us by 90 minutes and has had an incredible relationship with the owner from his playing days.

Our owner was a reference for Lee when he got his first managers job and it was always intended he would manage us.

Obviously I'm not naive enough to believe he would turn anyone and everyone down, but Barnsley and Oldham we're 'just another club' to Johnson, we aren't. Why would he leave now, particularly as he has a point to prove about Lansdown being right to stick with him last season.

Johnson added: "I want people to know I'm doing nothing to put myself in the shop window or attract interest from outside."

He's at a club where he knows the owner and has done for over 10 years, there is friendship and trust between them. He has bought into the project we are working towards and is starting to see some of the young players he signed develop into extremely good players.

Why would he leave to join somewhere where there would be immense pressure from day one, where he would need to rebuild a squad into what he wants, and where he doesn't know he will have the time to turn things around?

I don't see Johnson leaving for anyone at this point in time, none of the big clubs in a higher position would be after him, and that's what it would need to tempt him away. 

Yep he's on a very good thing at Bristol City. He needs to show a bit of loyalty aswell now I think. He left Oldham and Barnsley after just a year in charge at both and Steve Lansdown could've easily sacked him last year when you were on a terrible run.

Mind you you've got Dem on the other thread saying he should go and take the Swansea job because it's premier league innit. :lol:

If we were to appoint someone like Dean Smith I think it would work better in the summer, give him pre season etc.

Mid season appointment I honestly think given the style we're playing a six month contract for someone like Pulis would actually be a logical move. Can only imagine how an appointment like that would go down though!

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think with all due respect to Bristol City, if you were sat 10th/15th in the league, he would jump at the chance to manage us given the difference in stature and budget of both clubs. 

But you are having such a good season this year that you are looking at least as likely (maybe even more likely imo) to get promotion. So you are probably right, it would probably be difficult to tempt him away at this moment in time. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I think with all due respect to Bristol City, if you were sat 10th/15th in the league, he would jump at the chance to manage us given the difference in stature and budget of both clubs. 

But you are having such a good season this year that you are looking at least as likely (maybe even more likely imo) to get promotion. So you are probably right, it would probably be difficult to tempt him away at this moment in time. 

There were many calling for his head last season when they slipped towards relegation , they will slip away again  this season I believe .

good manager though and good luck to him ( not next week )

Edited by Eastie

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we were to appoint someone like Dean Smith I think it would work better in the summer, give him pre season etc.

Thats the only worry with these young managers that have a certain (attack minded) way of playing. 

Our group have been drilled to be pragmatic for over 12 months, any new manager would need to be patient in his approach. We don't have time on our side in tbat regard. 

I see a lot of people making the assumption - understandably - that a hypothetical Dean Smith Villa side would play in a similar style to his actual Brentford side. But of course there's no guarantees of that. He might take a look at the personnel available and change his style of play too. 

If we were to go from Bruce to Smith, that would be giving up on the season - if he did try to totally change the style of play, we could expect to plummet down the table in the meantime - so it seems like an option that would be better in April or May if/when it's mathematically impossible for us to be promoted. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

There were many calling for his head last season when they slipped towards relegation , they will slip away again  this season I believe .

good manager though and good luck to him ( not next week )

Another reason he may feel the need to return a bit of loyalty to the board. They could easily have sacked him last year and they stood by him. As @VillaChris said. He can't be seen as a guy thats jumps ship at every opportunity.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I don't expect to see Johnson arriving here. I don't know why anyone would leave a club in the playoff places for us, when we have an unbalanced squad, little budget and inflated expectations related to whoever they are at now. 

I'm seeing far too many sensible posts from you sir! 

You are saving me a job of posting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I see a lot of people making the assumption - understandably - that a hypothetical Dean Smith Villa side would play in a similar style to his actual Brentford side. But of course there's no guarantees of that. He might take a look at the personnel available and change his style of play too. 

If we were to go from Bruce to Smith, that would be giving up on the season - if he did try to totally change the style of play, we could expect to plummet down the table in the meantime - so it seems like an option that would be better in April or May if/when it's mathematically impossible for us to be promoted. 

Next 3 games are very tough - failure to win would see us 7 games without a win and surely the axe would have to fall in such circumstances .

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep he's on a very good thing at Bristol City. He needs to show a bit of loyalty aswell now I think. He left Oldham and Barnsley after just a year in charge at both and Steve Lansdown could've easily sacked him last year when you were on a terrible run.

Mind you you've got Dem on the other thread saying he should go and take the Swansea job because it's premier league innit. :lol:

Mid season appointment I honestly think given the style we're playing a six month contract for someone like Pulis would actually be a logical move. Can only imagine how an appointment like that would go down though!

Trying to remain respectful how I word this, but from the outside looking in there doesn't seem to be a real plan in place at Villa.

What it seems you have done is just sign some very good individuals, but with no true direction behind it other than "promotion"

When we were relegated in 2012/13 the club introduced a "5 pillars" plan. The article on the website has gone now, but I'll try and give and outline.

1) Academy - investing in the academy and young local players.

2) Community - the work of the Community Trust.

3) Facilities - commitment to improving facilities I.e. New stadium.

4) Financial prudence - being more sensible with our investments. No more splashing the cash for the sake of it.

5) Recruitment  - as a general rule (but not a law), look to recruit young, up and coming players who are hungry and generally under the age of 24 rather than signing lots of old timers on big contracts who don't care and lose value, but with a few rare exceptions.

Obviously not all of these would apply to your club, and you should just copy the ones that do apply, but there needs to be a decision made on what way you will set about getting promotion and sticking to it.

Within 2 years of using this strategy we were League 1 champions and back into the Championship, 5 years down the line we have a cup semi final and are at least competing for another promotion.

It hasn't been smooth sailing the whole time- 6 months in we were bottom of League 1, and we have had 2 relegation fights in a row, but things are paying off now.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Are the dr plans are as ambitious as he claims

I'd say it's more a case of "hopes" than "plans".

The appointments and signings seem more suited to the upper half of the Championship than Europe.  For the aspirations to be actual plans would call for something different by way of a strategy than we have seen to date.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I just can't agree with this. 

I can't look at the squad we have and think the only thing stopping them plummeting down the table is the football steve bruce instructs them to play. 

I think a lot of very average managers would get this team in the playoffs. I don't for one second think a new approach would end in disaster  

I imagine this fear is the kind of thing wyness will be selling to dr t

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Trying to remain respectful how I word this, but from the outside looking in there doesn't seem to be a real plan in place at Villa.

What it seems you have done is just sign some very good individuals, but with no true direction behind it other than "promotion"

When we were relegated in 2012/13 the club introduced a "5 pillars" plan. The article on the website has gone now, but I'll try and give and outline.

1) Academy - investing in the academy and young local players.

2) Community - the work of the Community Trust.

3) Facilities - commitment to improving facilities I.e. New stadium.

4) Financial prudence - being more sensible with our investments. No more splashing the cash for the sake of it.

5) Recruitment  - as a general rule (but not a law), look to recruit young, up and coming players who are hungry and generally under the age of 24 rather than signing lots of old timers on big contracts who don't care and lose value, but with a few rare exceptions.

Obviously not all of these would apply to your club, and you should just copy the ones that do apply, but there needs to be a decision made on what way you will set about getting promotion and sticking to it.

Within 2 years of using this strategy we were League 1 champions and back into the Championship, 5 years down the line we have a cup semi final and are at least competing for another promotion.

It hasn't been smooth sailing the whole time- 6 months in we were bottom of League 1, and we have had 2 relegation fights in a row, but things are paying off now.

The key is having the correct people running the club- we  do not .

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just can't agree with this. 

I can't look at the squad we have and think the only thing stopping them plummeting down the table is the football steve bruce instructs them to play. 

I think a lot of very average managers would get this team in the playoffs. I don't for one second think a new approach would end in disaster  

I imagine this fear is the kind of thing wyness will be selling to dr t

A change in style may well see the team prosper and be more comfortable in their game 

• Like 1

Brian Little? He was f**king useless managing Gainsborough in the Conference North and that was 7+ years ago. He nearly took them down despite assembling probably the most expensive squad in the league. Great he used to play for us & manage us but that was a long time ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa82 said:

Screenshot_20171224-111326.png.844d99629

List of candidates for the SW job. 

That would basically be the same list for us if Bruce Went, Totally uninspiring list of people who have failed elsewhere. None of them would do any better than Bruce.

Remember this time last year when 7th placed Birmingham Sacked Rowett, Look how that worked out for them.....

Edited by LakotaDakota

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

That would basically be the same list for us if Bruce Went, Totally uninspiring list of people who have failed elsewhere. None of them would do any better than Bruce.

Remember this time last year when 7th placed Birmingham Sacked Rowett, Look how that worked out for them.....

It’s about getting the right appointment as wolves did in ditching lambert for nuno - I have little faith wyness had ever heard of nuno .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Â