So what would you do?

Grasshopper

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It will be same old shit for several months regardless of changes. Nothing changes that quickly in football. 

If I was going to make a change now I would gamble on Dean Smith and his back room staff with the acceptance that promotion isn't going to happen this season. 

The second half of the season will be purely planning for next. 

No reason why we shouldn’t finish top 6 of smith or someone  new came in ,  act now before we slip too far adrift 

Edited by Eastie

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you're misunderstanding what Hollis does - if you're suggesting we sell the club, then by all means bring him in, that's what he does and what he did for us. He didn't organise the club, he didn't have an input on footballing matters, he wasn't interested in making the club run better, he was there to make sure it sold - an estate agent, not a builder.

Correct and Hollis would not be interested in the job .

until xia wakes up and sees the-wrong  people are running the club we will continue to drift away .

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

No reason why we shouldn’t finish top 6 of smith or so,done new came in ,  act now before we slip too far adrift 

Smiths Brentford have a certain style of play. If he wanted to bring that in to a new club it would take several months to instil and in the time the club would drop points. Think Houllier in his first season at Villa or Rodgers in his first season at Liverpool. An extreme example is pep in his first season at City. 

We have more chance of top 6 under Bruce than Smith in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Instead of argueing the toss.

What would YOU do?

If i was on the board I'd have been sounding out Johnson, Smith and Billic weeks ago. I'd sack Bruce today and hopefully have one of those ready to take over. I would also have had a word with JT about taking the job on in a caretaker capacity in the interim in the event that it took a week or 2 to prize one of those away from their clubs. (Excluding Billic who is obviously a free agent).

It is a very difficult decision for Xia. I understand that. We are still 6th after all. His advisors in Wyness and Round are probably saying that we should stick with Bruce to save their own jobs. If we sack enough managers and it still don't work attention will be put on them and they don't want that.

No clear gameplan and it still looks like we don't do tactics at Bodymoor Heath. Pesonally I would roll the dice and sack him. Clement for the rest of the season.

Edited by NoelVilla
Changed my mind

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Smiths Brentford have a certain style of play. If he wanted to bring that in to a new club it would take several months to instil and in the time the club would drop points. Think Houllier in his first season at Villa or Rodgers in his first season at Liverpool. An extreme example is pep in his first season at City. 

We have more chance of top 6 under Bruce than Smith in my opinion. 

I think we have players who can play a creative passing game but are held back by Bruce’s tactics - the players are good enough but the manager doesn’t use them properly ,

Just now, NoelVilla said:

It is a very difficult decision for Xia. I understand that. We are still 6th after all. His advisors in Wyness and Round are probably saying that we should stick with Bruce to save their own jobs. If we sack enough managers and it still don't work attention will be put on them and they don't want that.

No clear gameplan and it still looks like we don't do tactics at Bodymoor Heath. Pesonally I would roll the dice and sack him. Monk for the rest of the season.

Having read the middlesbrough gazette report on his sacking I wouldn’t touch monk - seems he was a total disaster with his tactics and running of the club and the only surprise was he lasted this long 

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I think we have players who can play a creative passing game but are held back by Bruce’s tactics - the players are good enough but the manager doesn’t use them properly ,

I see where you are coming from but perfecting a pass and move game takes a lot time and lots of training. If it was that easy every club would be adopting it. 

I wont happen over night so I think if the club do pull the trigger on Bruce I hope fans do not not expect the new manager to achieve promotion. 

For me it will be acceptance that it's time for a long term plan and the manager will be given time to achieve this. As in given several years to show steady improvement each year. 

Anything achieved this season would be just a bonus. 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Having read the middlesbrough gazette report on his sacking I wouldn’t touch monk - seems he was a total disaster with his tactics and running of the club and the only surprise was he lasted this long 

I have changed my mind on that one. Clement for the rest of the season.

• Haha 1

Johnson is not leaving to come to villa. Why would he?

Smith would but as someone else posted do we have the players to play his style mid season?

Bilic doesnt do anything for me.

I'd go for smith personally because he is a good long term appointment, but getting in the playoffs this season will be decided by our transfer dealings in Jan, not who we have in charge. (IMO)

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see where you are coming from but perfecting a pass and move game takes a lot time and lots of training. If it was that easy every club would be adopting it. 

I wont happen over night so I think if the club do pull the trigger on Bruce I hope fans do not not expect the new manager to achieve promotion. 

For me it will be acceptance that it's time for a long term plan and the manager will be given time to achieve this. As in given several years to show steady improvement each year. 

Anything achieved this season would be just a bonus. 

The thing is Bruce bought several players and then played them in a totally different way to the clubs they came from - that is holding us back - the likes of hogan hourihane and Lansbury would thrive under smith as would grealish and I think they are all good enough to adapt to his style of football fast . 

‘It’s Bruce’s negative tactics holding us back , not the players we have .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Johnson is not leaving to come to villa. Why would he?

Smith would but as someone else posted do we have the players to play his style mid season?

Bilic doesnt do anything for me.

I'd go for smith personally because he is a good long term appointment, but getting in the playoffs this season will be decided by our transfer dealings in Jan, not who we have in charge. (IMO)

If it’s going to depend on transfer dealings then surely the change needs to be made ASAP before the window opens - let a new man bring  in a couple of his choice 

35 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm with you on sacking Bruce. But replacing him with 2 guys that have been out of the game for 20yrs would be suicide. It didn't work for great man himself (Graham Taylor), and it wouldn't work with Little. 

Dean Smith or Lee Johnson would both be huge upgrades on Bruce and i believe both would crawl through shit for Villa job. 

Lee Johnson said no to the Villa job 13-14 months ago.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not meaning to be aggressive, but suggestions like hiring Brian Little, appointing an accountant to a footballing role or expecting a completely new style of play in a 48-hour period that might contain one training session are not exactly strong. 

I don't know what I would do - I have as little experience running a football club as everyone else on here - but what I suspect the club will do is wait until the Christmas fixture rush is over, and see where we are. If we are still in the playoffs or a point or two off, I think they will see what Bruce can do for the rest of the season. If we've sunk down the table, I think they may look to make a change. I have no idea who they would appoint, since there isn't an obvious candidate out there. 

I think they will see where we are after the Bristol city game as there is 12 days league break then and the window will be open . 

‘I fear we could be as low as 10th by next Monday 

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Said he wasn't interested then, it amounts to the same thing.

Would you say you were interested in another job if you were manager of a club in the same division? Of course he would say that !

• Like 1

Â