Racism

Brumerican

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You keep missing the point.

It's not that people would rather BE white. It's that people would rather have the advantages that white people get.

Put it this way:

if you could swap how our society treats you with how our society treats non-white people, would you do it?

And people keep missing my point! 

Well I can hardly do what you suggested in last question as I'm not white which I have already mentioned a few times. 

But would I swap how society treats me to how society treats whites? No I wouldn't because I haven't got a problem with how society treats me. It's made me the person I am today. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just out of interest, can we all put our cards on the table, and declare our ethnicity? 

FWIW, I'm white English (with English and Irish parents). 

Does it make a difference to the conversation?  

Im British with Punjabi parents. My skin colour is brown. I've never struggled to find a job in my profession. 

I've found it fascinating how it's been assumed throughout that I am white due to my views. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Im British with Punjabi parents. My skin colour is brown. I've never struggled to find a job in my profession. 

I've found it fascinating how it's been assumed throughout that I am white due to my views. 

Dude, you're more of a cracker than I'll ever be! :lol:

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And people keep missing my point! 

Well I can hardly do what you suggested in last question as I'm not white which I have already mentioned a few times. 

But would I swap how society treats me to how society treats whites? No I wouldn't because I haven't got a problem with how society treats me. It's made me the person I am today. 

Apologies, I only dipped in and out of the past few pages so missed where you stated your ethnicity.

However I would say that your last sentence does suggest you acknowledge the difference in how society treats races, you are just ok with it for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't get it. Because you, a single person, didn't have any issues finding a job...the disadvantage for people like you in general is not real? Despite the wealth of research that proves that it is? 

Universities. Jobs. Housing. Banking. There is a wealth of evidence that points to the fact that on average, non-white people are at a significant disadvantage in these areas. These are some of the most important aspects of our lives might I add. But you seem to want to ignore that in favour of anecdotal evidence? Why is that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As @NurembergVillan said the other day, avatars etc shouldn't be perceived as being that person.

... If so I'd have attempted to shag @Demitri_C a long time ago.  :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Universities. Jobs. Housing. Banking. There is a wealth of evidence that points to the fact that on average, non-white people are at a significant disadvantage in these areas. 

Could you just expand on that please? Interested to hear. 

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't get it. Because you, a single person, didn't have any issues finding a job...the disadvantage for people like you in general is not real? Despite the wealth of research that proves that it is? 

Universities. Jobs. Housing. Banking. There is a wealth of evidence that points to the fact that on average, non-white people are at a significant disadvantage in these areas. These are some of the most important aspects of our lives might I add. But you seem to want to ignore that in favour of anecdotal evidence? Why is that?

How many times do I have to say I'm not ignoring it. I've acknowledged it. I know it's there. 

I've been saying along it should not be an excuse to not try or give up. That has been my point all along. 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Apologies, I only dipped in and out of the past few pages so missed where you stated your ethnicity.

However I would say that your last sentence does suggest you acknowledge the difference in how society treats races, you are just ok with it for whatever reason.

As above I'm not ok with it. I just don't think being angry about it and having a chip on your shoulder gets a person anywhere. 

From my experience it feels like white people (and this is just in the uk) seem to be angry about the injustice in society than those that experience it. 

Edit: @Keyblade I can't speak for every Indian in the country. But I can say that it's normally expected within the society that an Indian living in the uk does not suffer from any sort of income poverty. It's quite rare if they do. Sorry if the research does not back this up.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Are you absolutely sure about this?

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Could you just expand on that please? Interested to hear. 

In the States, Wells Fargo in particular has a long and well-documented history of discrimination. 

Here's an excerpt from a very interesting and detailed article unpacking it

At the heart of the lawsuit is a claim that the bank had "a widespread pattern or practice of discrimination," directing minority borrowers toward more expensive or riskier loans, even if they were eligible for more affordable, safer options. By doing this, the plaintiffs say Wells Fargo repeatedly targeted minority customers at a disproportionate rate. According to the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, these actions were not taken to increase profit. Instead, they were done just to be shitty toward people of color. If proven in court, the bank will have violated the Fair Housing Act, a nearly 50-year-old federal law implemented to prevent housing discrimination.

I know that in the UK the banks are known to discriminate against black businesses in particular. Not to mention they are twice as likely to deny refunds to black victims of fraud.

Black victims of fraud are more than twice as likely to be denied a refund by their bank as white customers, according to figures seen by The Times.

More than a fifth of people who complained about not getting their money back were from ethnic minorities, even though they make up only about 10 per cent of the population.

Ethnic minorities also appear less likely to be reimbursed at some banks than others, according to a survey of complaints to the ombudsman.

From the Times

"We know that 35% of individuals from black African origin say they want to start a business, but only 6% actually do. Are they having problems accessing the loans they need?" he said.

"Past evidence shows that firms owned by individuals of black African origin have been four times more likely than so-called 'white firms' to be denied loans outright. And that Bangladeshi, Pakistani, black Caribbean and black African owned businesses have been subject to higher interest rates than white and Indian owned enterprises."

Nick Clegg's take on the matter

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Is that your order of preference when you request a home visit? :)

Yet to find one with all the above qualities. My quest continues. 

• Like 1