Racism

Brumerican

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brown any day! Who wants to be white? If people wanted to be white we wouldn't have sunbeds ;)

edit: on a serious note. This is what I meant earlier when I said the sympathy towards non whites doesn't sit with me that comfortably. As if brown/black would surely rather be white! 

I suspect many would, given that choice. Just like a lot of women would wish to have been born male. Life is easier that way. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I suspect many would, given that choice. Just like a lot of women would wish to have been born male. Life is easier that way. 

Bloody hell its that not bad to not be white in this country you know. Believe me when I say a lot of Brown/black people would not rather be white regardless of what opportunities it brings. 

Pitying people for not being white is not cool. 

(I'm talking about the uk). 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Massively over the top this, class/poverty has a massive impact, being white and dirt poor is not an easy start at all.

It really isn't.

No one suggested class/poverty don't have an impact. Or that being poor is easy, but if you happen to be white you've kind of proved his point there.

Why is it hard for you to accept? It's not a personal thing.

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brown any day! Who wants to be white? If people wanted to be white we wouldn't have sunbeds ;)

edit: on a serious note. This is what I meant earlier when I said the sympathy towards non whites doesn't sit with me that comfortably. As if brown/black would surely rather be white! 

I still don't know what you mean tbh Vive.

8 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I still don't know what you mean tbh Vive.

You lot are making it sound like not being white is like a disability. Especially this comment below: 

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's not so much that people would rather *be* white, as that they might prefer to have had some or all of the advantages of *being* white.

Hmm. I'd say the stats of how white kids are performing in schools compared to ethnic minorities makes me think maybe it's not all that advantages to be born white in the uk these days. 

Let me put it another way. 

I'm glad I was born white. Not because that makes me innately superior to a non-white person - far from it - but because it gave me an (entirely unjustified) massive head start in life. If I apply for a job, or a loan, and I'm up against an equally (or more) deserving or qualified black guy, every study going says I stand a better chance of getting it. That is shit, but it's an accident of birth. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 2

I can't work out if you're deliberately missing the point to keep this going or just missing the point unintentionally.

Nobody is saying 'poor non-whites' or 'all non-whites want to be white'.

It's not that abstract to state that being white gives you a leg up in this country.

Nobody is saying asian middle class are worse off than white working class etc.

But start from a blank state, avoid adding any other circumstance and there's an advantage to the white person.

Simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hmm. I'd say the stats of how white kids are performing in schools compared to ethnic minorities makes me think maybe it's not all that advantages to be born white in the uk these days. 

Being white doesn't make you magically better at school. It's what happens after school where the advantages kick into play.

The overhaul of admissions, in which applicants would be identified by a number rather than their name, would reduce “unconscious bias” against students from ethnic minorities by university admissions staff, according to a study by the race equality thinktank the Runnymede Trust, which was published on 3 February.

The recommendation is based on evidence that black and ethnic minority students are less likely to win a place at a top universities even when they have the same grades.

Once A-level grades are taken into account, 52 per cent of applications by white British students to Russell Group universities resulted in offers compared with only 44.7 per cent for black Caribbean students, 42.6 per cent for Bangladeshi students and 39.6 per cent for Pakistani students. For those from black African backgrounds, the offer rate was 39.6 per cent.

Anonymise admissions, says race equality report

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It is an advantage, not an all-consuming advantage. 

It becomes a bigger advantage after school is over.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Doubt many of these kids will be going to university. 

Uh, why?

From what I undestood from your post, you were saying that statistics show that non-white students do better in school? Or maybe I misunderstood you.

Trust me on this I have been part of the interview process for a large company that you have all heard of. I have seen first hand potential employees being discarded based on their name. It is totally advantage being white. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Thinking that people would rather be white sounds like pity to me. 

You keep missing the point.

It's not that people would rather BE white. It's that people would rather have the advantages that white people get.

Put it this way:

would you be happy to have how our society treats you swapped with how our society treats non-white people?

Edit: rephrased the question

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1