Racism

Brumerican

20 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I remember when they refused Farrakhan entry into this country. The hypocrisy behind that decision was unreal. The fear of an intellectual black man, that he may awaken minds with a dreadful truth .

He was refused entry due to extreme religious view, namely antisemitism, i believe 

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

He was refused entry due to extreme religious view, namely antisemitism, i believe 

Would they of refused entry to the President of Iran, Amhadinejhad, whose antisemitism is well documented, and who has even questioned the holocaust ? I don't think they would of. Hence, hypocrisy. 

The antisemitism card was nothing but a pretext.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

As much as I dislike the UK since that ref, I do have to agree with Viva that the UK is probably one of the less racist places to live but (and this is a very large but)

Since June 2016 it is changing and changing rapidly. I think that's why there's a perception of racism in the UK. Because there was such a shock to the system after the ref. People were rightfully shamed into keeping their views private but Brexit told some folks that these views are now okay. 

Systematic racism is much more of a problem than pissed up idiots insulting people. 

Look at the reaction to Griezmann's black face incident. It wasn't "yeah he made a mistake" it was "urgh those SJW PC luvvies are at it again"

That's endemic. 

Could it be argued that Brexit changed your perception of reality there Stefan? In that it made you aware of something that was actually always there?

I agree people have become emboldened off the back of it (Brexit).

Couldn't agree more with the last 3 sentences.

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Would they of refused entry to the President of Iran, Amhadinejhad, whose antisemitism is well documented, and who has even questioned the holocaust ? I don't think they would of. Hence, hypocrisy. 

The antisemitism card was nothing but a pretext.

I think the ruling Government takes a selective view of things like that when it comes to comes leaders of states! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Unfortunately there will always be idiots in life.  In the grand scheme of things those kind of views are in the minority thankfully.  They just make the loudest noise..  One example that springs to mind is some idiots start to racially abuse a person on a bus.  The focus of that incident was that racism has increased after the vote, but there was hardly any emphasis on the reaction of all the other people on the bus and how they all turned on the racists.  Its reactions like that from the people that make this country great.  Yet the media hardly mentioned it as the agenda was the country is racist because we want to leave the EU.

Not every person that voted to leave is a racist.  

_90042108_tombradbury.jpg

:D 

Its an old one

A Muslim woman was apparently told she "should really be speaking English" by a stranger on a bus

bbc

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 2

...while many Pakistanis are clustered in low-skilled professions; indeed, one study found as many as one quarter of Pakistani men ... didn't declare their full earnings to the inland revenue

Fixed

And before anyone starts, that's a comment on Taxi Drivers in general irrespective of their ethnic background

I also take exception to the low skilled bit

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

It's also an urban myth unfortunately.

My mother, a native Welsh speaker, very often used to think people on the bus in Brum were speaking Welsh until she turned round to see who it was.

So as much as its an urban myth, there is a basis to it, in that a casual listener can get the two languages when spoken  confused for a short while

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

My mother, a native Welsh speaker, very often used to think people on the bus in Brum were speaking Welsh until she turned round to see who it was.

So as much as its an urban myth, there is a basis to it, in that a casual listener can get the two languages when spoken  confused for a short while

I'm sure that's possible. But the just-so story didn't happen (it's a copy of an American meme with 'welsh ' swapped for 'navajo'). Famously someone bothered to investigate if there was a replacement bus service on the day suggested, and there wasn't. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sure that's possible. But the just-so story didn't happen (it's a copy of an American meme with 'welsh ' swapped for 'navajo'). Famously someone bothered to investigate if there was a replacement bus service on the day suggested, and there wasn't. 

Oh yeah, not disputing the mythical nature of the story. I've seen many variants of it in the last few years. More of a side comment really. Seeing the story just reminded me of my mother more than anything

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Oh yeah, not disputing the mythical nature of the story. I've seen many variants of it in the last few years. More of a side comment really. Seeing the story just reminded me of my mother more than anything

Do you speak any Welsh? I've toyed with studying it but always run out of motivation.

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you speak any Welsh? I've toyed with studying it but always run out of motivation.

Technically it's my native tongue, the first language I learned to speak but by the time I went to infants I was speaking what can only be described as Wenglish (©Roy Noble). I was fortunate though because whilst most of the other kids thought I was odd, my teacher, Mrs Jones was also a native welsh speaker (and a friend of my mother's).

These days I'd say, I understand a small amount. Pronunciation is generally OK but as for speaking it and holding a conversation, not a chance. My French is better than my Welsh and thats not that good.

It's a bucket list thing for me to relearn it when I have the time. I'm fairly confident though, that I'd pick it up quite quickly

EDIT: I did freak out 2 student girls only two nights ago by placing their Welsh accents to within about 5 miles of where they were from

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I think an element of ego also comes into the debate. 

If you are a white person (particularly a white male) it is a tough thing to admit to yourself that you are playing this ‘game of life’ on the easiest starting setting.

The realisation that other people are playing on a harder difficulty setting but some are still doing better than you are is not an easy thing for the ego to take. 

Massively over the top this, class/poverty has a massive impact, being white and dirt poor is not an easy start at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Massively over the top this, class/poverty has a massive impact, being white and dirt poor is not an easy start at all.

If you had to choose between being very poor and white, or very poor and black/brown, what would you go for? 

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If you had to choose between being very poor and white, or very poor and black/brown, what would you go for? 

Brown any day! Who wants to be white? If people wanted to be white we wouldn't have sunbeds ;)

edit: on a serious note. This is what I meant earlier when I said the sympathy towards non whites doesn't sit with me that comfortably. As if brown/black would surely rather be white! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa