The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

I know there's not a lot of fighting among fans in the womens game but f me UEFA  :D

SHEFFIELD. Swedish and Dutch fans in the same march to the European Championship stadium in Sheffield?

Uefa came up with the proposal - which was immediately nobbed by blue-yellow supporters and the Swedish Football Association.

- Uefa has probably never understood supporters. Stick to arranging football and we will solve the rest, says Jonathan Jonsson on site in England.

A record number, 2,700, will be in the Swedish heel on Bramall Lane. Sweden will be the nation, closely followed by the Netherlands, that will have the most fans in place during the championship.

The Netherlands will be supported by around 2,000 fans in the premiere against Sweden.

Before the European Championships, Uefa came up with a proposal to the Swedish Football Association. The plan was for the fans from Sweden and the Netherlands to make a joint demonstration and march to the arena together.

However, the proposal was completely nobbed.

- Yes, that's not exactly what the supporter culture looks like, it's not what you usually do… Both Holland and we were very clear that we wanted two of our own fan walks through the city where we come to the arena at different times and are separated. Now they have accepted it, says SvFF's security manager Martin Fredman.

Did you say no for security reasons?

- Rather supporter culture reasons. We do not see that there would be any risks and British police have not said anything. Our supporters want to show that they belong to Sweden.

Camp Sweden's chairman Susanne Wänberg Pettersson was also quick to nob UEFA's proposal.

- We were told about the proposal, but it is not relevant. The march is sacred to us. Uefa has no control over the fans, she says.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/47MVAE/svenska-fansen-nobbar-uefas-forslag-infor-premiaren

Of course I understand that the reason the club are not suspending whoever it is is that they're paying him and want to win football matches at any cost and that this decision is being taken for business reasons.

That said, I wonder if there's an issue with anonymity here as well. It's already very likely one of only a dozen or so players from the publicly-available information, so suspending this player would be equivalent to revealing their identity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Of course I understand that the reason the club are not suspending whoever it is is that they're paying him and want to win football matches at any cost and that this decision is being taken for business reasons.

That said, I wonder if there's an issue with anonymity here as well. It's already very likely one of only a dozen or so players from the publicly-available information, so suspending this player would be equivalent to revealing their identity.

Probably, though the situation with an Icelandic footballer last year illustrates the difficulty. As soon as you get stuff like age released. He's still not been confirmed has he? But didn't play for Everton the whole year.  

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can just do what they do with the players that are failing drugs tests and put them out with a mysterious injury

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Probably, though the situation with an Icelandic footballer last year illustrates the difficulty. As soon as you get stuff like age released. He's still not been confirmed has he? But didn't play for Everton the whole year.  

I'm not sure whether it was ever officially announced, but eventually people just kind of gave up pretending everyone didn't know who it was.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Can just do what they do with the players that are failing drugs tests and put them out with a mysterious injury

True, though I think people would probably work it out, particularly if there was only one player out with a 'mystery injury'.

Arrested on suspicion and charged are 2 different things 

I'll assume the club have done an internal investigation of their own, maybe even liaised with the police on the matter 

Playing someone charged and awaiting trial is a different kettle of fish

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

2 summers in a row that they've bought a load of players that they can't register because they can't afford them 

And they're still trying to sign more 

Looks like they’re signing Raphinha and renewing Dembele’s deal, too. Hmmm.

13 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Never thought I'd grow to hate a club more than those in the scum 6 but Barcelona is really pushing me. The way they've been run recently and this. 

maybe just pay the man the money he is owed and he will leave

UEFA have absolutely bottled it with these teams, at least the La Liga cap is trying to get them to work within means

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I thought De Jong wanted to leave and Barca were stopping it?! 

Its the other way around and they owe him 17 million in backpay which they are refusing to pay

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its the other way around and they owe him 17 million in backpay which they are refusing to pay

If I was him I’d do exactly the same then, that’s a hell of a lot of money to be owed. 

I know they’ve paid out really high wages but the Barca thing still baffles me. You go to a game and you see how much they much generate in merchandising. There are hr long at the club shop, the stadium tour is always packed, it’s just crazy.

Â