The Paradise Papers

sne

Human greed never ceases to amaze me. These people have amassed multiple lifetimes' worth of wealth...but they always want more, at all costs. In America, the rich are literally screwing over the rest of the country (and the world in the case of Big Oil) raw just for some extra money to top off their war chests. I just can't understand it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Human greed never ceases to amaze me. These people have amassed multiple lifetimes' worth of wealth...but they always want more, at all costs. In America, the rich are literally screwing over the rest of the country (and the world in the case of Big Oil) raw just for some extra money to top off their war chests. I just can't understand it.

Same here. Once I got to the point where I had more money than I could spend, I'd give it away. 

• Like 2

I'm sick to death of hearing about all these wealthy businesses and people getting away with all kinds of financial gain, and us normal folk getting jumped on financially. It's just plain **** wrong. Made my blood boil today when I heard about it on the news. I knew about it anyway, but it just made me more angry today. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I thought it was John Milton. 

“The police are investigating at tremendous cost. In my house he wrote 'his red right hand'. That, I'm told, is from Paradise Lost”

Interesting as all this is, it'll be more interesting to see what, if anything, happens to it. There isn't much illegality here (that we're aware of, you can guarantee there's a thing or 2 that is dodgy in there - though I'd bet HMRC would be interested in the scheme the Mrs Brown's Boys lot has going on) but it's all verging on that immoral/taking the piss borderline. The problem would be how you can actually resolve that though. At the moment they aren't doing anything wrong but it's clearly the kind of thing that's going to get people's backs up.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Interesting as all this is, it'll be more interesting to see what, if anything, happens to it. There isn't much illegality here (that we're aware of, you can guarantee there's a thing or 2 that is dodgy in there - though I'd bet HMRC would be interested in the scheme the Mrs Brown's Boys lot has going on) but it's all verging on that immoral/taking the piss borderline. The problem would be how you can actually resolve that though. At the moment they aren't doing anything wrong but it's clearly the kind of thing that's going to get people's backs up.

Well there was an interesting piece re Hamilton his jet and the Isle of Man last night.

The rule underwhich he reclaimed the VAT on the aircraft was such that it excluded the use of the jet for personal activity. It’s quite clear from social media that he uses it for private activity. 

They also showed documents that showed the IoM had in other cases knowingly given such rebates when they shouldn’t have done so. They have as a result of this leak called in the UK tax authorities to review.

So whole not illegal it’s clear that some immoral activity has been occurring which could and should be stopped through better governance and the application of the current rules.

But as you say most of what is happening isn’t illegal so without changes to statute things won’t change especially when there is no political will to change things due to one form of self interest or other.

I think the only real change from things like this will come from public shaming as happened with Jimmy Carr.

It is though like putting a plaster on a bucket with no base.

I'd be focusing on the blame on these peoples devious accountants rather than the people themselves. They are clearly just told we can get around this with loopholes do you want us to sort it for you, i have to admit i would be tempted if put in that scenario.

They are just human beings after all.

Except Bono of course, he is definitely just a cock.

You'd need more than new government. You'd need to have a government prepared and capable of tearing up the entire tax system and withstanding the outright mess you'd get before you cleared it up, and would need to stand up to the sheer weight of influence of lobbyists and their wealthy backers, and the power of the people and businesses who rather like the way things are right now.

And you'd need to extend things to international influence, which isn't going to happen.

The systems ****.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

You'd need more than new government. You'd need to have a government prepared and capable of tearing up the entire tax system and withstanding the outright mess you'd get before you cleared it up, and would need to stand up to the sheer weight of influence of lobbyists and their wealthy backers, and the power of the people and businesses who rather like the way things are right now.

And you'd need to extend things to international influence, which isn't going to happen.

The systems ****.

jeremy-corbyn.jpg

e4mnf3nde6stmnau4fw05qproqcbh2mk-xlarge.

Â