January transfer window 2018

Jareth

On 25/12/2017 at 22:35, TheAuthority said:

I agree about Baker but I think Amavi needed to go and be successful in France before he has another crack at making it in England/PL.

In general you're correct about Villa being run in an absolutely shambolic way. It's really sad to think that actually, as much as I despise him for the opportunities he missed to take Villa truly global, Ellis is the last person to run Villa in a sensible way. Steve Stride was a huge part of that and of Randy 'silver spoon' Lerner got rid of him as soon as he took over.

I guess your definition of "sensible" must differ greatly from my own then. If there is one thing i would not accuse HDE of it is running our club sensibly. For himself rather than the "men of the terraces"yes, with care of the balance sheet rather than of what happened on the pitch yes, he was the Monty Burns of football no less. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Don’t know if Bamford is getting much game time at Boro but always thought he was a tidy link striker and would be ideal to give young Davis a rest if Bruce is staying until the end of the season. Not sure Boro would loan him to Villa though for obvious reasons?

I'm sure they would not. 

2 hours ago, John said:

I guess your definition of "sensible" must differ greatly from my own then. If there is one thing i would not accuse HDE of it is running our club sensibly. For himself rather than the "men of the terraces"yes, with care of the balance sheet rather than of what happened on the pitch yes, he was the Monty Burns of football no less. 

At the risk or derailing this into a "who's the better owner thread," I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

The discussion was that Lerner and it appears Xia (for the time being) have just thrown money at Villa with very little thought. That caused damage and a culture of people just taking advantage of the situation with no consequences for poor performance.  

I stated that Ellis and Stride ran the club in a 'sensible' way because there appeared a plan which wouldn't allow the club's finances to get out of hand. I am no lover of Ellis, and as I said, he missed many opportunities to take the club truly global. But in hindsight there was at least some semblance of a sensible plan in place compared to what has followed.

Maybe you can tell us your definition of sensible?

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Balls, just read the finished article from the BBC. Depression and alcohol addiction.

Would be a perfect addition to the squad.

Next...

Villa park is not the place to be if you're already suffering from depression. 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Steven Caulker released by QPR. Worth a trial?

Unlikely. Far too many personal demons to be considered reliable I'm afraid. He's an alcoholic gambling addict who has reportedly suffered with depression and sucidial thoughts. QPR have presumably released him because he hasn't gotten over these issues, or that he just simply isn't the same player. Let's hope the PFA can help him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Unlikely. Far too many personal demons to be considered reliable I'm afraid. He's an alcoholic gambling addict who has reportedly suffered with depression and sucidial thoughts. QPR have presumably released him because he hasn't gotten over these issues, or that he just simply isn't the same player. Let's hope the PFA can help him.

Some of our best players ever have been troubled! If you know there’s an issue you can work on it. Low basic wage with an appearance fee to bump it up and you’ve got a bargain if you keep him healthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Some of our best players ever have been troubled! If you know there’s an issue you can work on it. Low basic wage with an appearance fee to bump it up and you’ve got a bargain if you keep him healthy. 

Disagree, he'd be a total liability and frankly needs professional help. No need for us to make him our burden. He's not very good anyway.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Disagree, he'd be a total liability and frankly needs professional help. No need for us to make him our burden. He's not very good anyway.

Yes, sounds like a case for social work intervention, not a contract to play a demanding sport at a high level.  Hope somebody steps in to help him, but on no account should we sign him.

9 hours ago, Junxs said:

Was he though? when you consider everything..

For example, Baker was in effect shifted off to make way for him, in my eyes it was an all or bust move. One season deal, if it meant promotion then fair enough, but the harsh reality is that our defence was fine, it was the 5th best in the league last season. Baker is now in the top 2 with Bristol City so a more than capable player for automatic promotion - as long as the rest of the team is good.

I said at the time the funds could have been used to improve other parts of the team, and I am yet to be convinced I was wrong.

This isnt a Baker vs Terry debate, but what parts of the team needed more urgent improvement as central defence was fine.

Terry is a good player, I'm not denying that. But with FFP restraints perhaps the wages (best ever paid in the championship) could have been used on improving the attack.  

Good post. 

I think in the future we will probably look back on it not being a good one. 

Worth the gamble though so won't complain.

11 hours ago, striker said:

Don’t know if Bamford is getting much game time at Boro but always thought he was a tidy link striker and would be ideal to give young Davis a rest if Bruce is staying until the end of the season. Not sure Boro would loan him to Villa though for obvious reasons?

Has the same amount of league goals this season as Hogan and Gabby. Prob need better :) 

19 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

At the risk or derailing this into a "who's the better owner thread," I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

The discussion was that Lerner and it appears Xia (for the time being) have just thrown money at Villa with very little thought. That caused damage and a culture of people just taking advantage of the situation with no consequences for poor performance.  

I stated that Ellis and Stride ran the club in a 'sensible' way because there appeared a plan which wouldn't allow the club's finances to get out of hand. I am no lover of Ellis, and as I said, he missed many opportunities to take the club truly global. But in hindsight there was at least some semblance of a sensible plan in place compared to what has followed.

Maybe you can tell us your definition of sensible?

My reaction was to the use of HDE as an example of how the club was previously run sensibly. Give me the good doctor every time at least his foot is on the accelerator rather than the brake albeit the engine does not react as well as it did back in the late 70s/early 80s. The doctor has given us hope and I think he has the ambition that HDE lacked. I still back us to do well under his leadership. 

• Like 1