• Adomah
    • Kodjia
    • Jedinak (Snodgrass 60)
    • Davis (Hourihane 74)
    • Hogan (Kodjia 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/17 at 19:45

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Indeed.

By which I take it you mean games in which we are involved ?:)

Ive seen three decent games by us in over a year now. I actually am long past even trying to understand why I go !

It was poor Terry......but thats the next decision.

one of the reasons i try to look for positives is,because looking for negatives can have disasterous consequences on your hobby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Derbies are rarely great spectacles so not sure what people were expecting? 

i'm sure most of us would realise that the game panned out exactly as expected. 

We now need to push on against Preston. 

A win against an inferior team?

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

A win against an inferior team?

The derbies have ben abysmal games for years. When was the last time we played well in one? I'm guessing the 5-1 when we were full of quality players. 

The last 7 or 8 i'd wager have been absolute dog-shit games. 

• Like 1

Poor first half. Was clear by half time that gameplan wasnt working. No idea why it wasnt changed at halftime.

Fortunate to be on level terms by the time changes were made, but they were made far too late to have the required impact.

Poor from Bruce and the players for me.  Hope he starts 4-4-2 against Preston.

• Like 2

Really didn’t look like winning the game until Davis came on. Until then it was very dull stuff indeed and lucky to be on level terms.

Bruce still has a lot to do for me to be convinced he is the right man to lead Villa back into the Premiership.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bruce taking snodgrass off for onomah was poor

bruce taking hourihane for Davis was poor

if only we had hourihane fir that final freekick...

Really?

It wasn't the substitutions that i would have picked but the change altered the game immediately;  We were on top from the moment it was made.

Both worked as far as i could see.

Still in the mix... but we need to up our away performances. Solid at home need the same away. Not a disastrous point but hoped for a big 3 today.  I think he should have started Davis today but hey ho.  1 defeat in the last 11 I would say things are more positive than negative. This time last year the season was almost a write off already.  Bring on Wednesday. Next saturday. Er just realised we have got PNE on Tuesday, duh.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Preston will prove how good this point is! 

Its always disappointing to drop 2 points when you see so many dropped over the weekend, but we cant forget this is their world cup final, and will thus be one of our most difficult games this term. You do have to take games in isolation as well as the collective sometimes.

Thought playing Davis from the bench was the best thing to do both from a tiredness and from a tactical point of view. It gave us a solidity from the start and an easy change if things demanded it.

The game itself was a proper slugfest, if a game could be summed up id just show a picture of Whelans face and a full stop.

To be fair we were under the cosh far more than they were, right up until Bruce changed the game with the two substitutes.  Its one of those moments you sit there with an open mouth when they were waiting to come on........ but thats the reason Bruce is a manager and im not. I genuinely think if Kodge had stayed on we would have won that. 

This brings me back to the Preston game, its not only the result that will show how good a point was but also whether Kogjia is present.

Edited by Nigel

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Because we failed to take all 3 points today, Preston, a much better team than Birmingham, now becomes more important.

That's the problem with not playing every game on the front foot, succeeding games become more important.

If we do not win on Wednesday Bruce will lose a lot of the goodwill he has built up recently.

The results are simply too inconsistent for a team hoping to get promoted.

I'm afraid you're right and I'm afraid it will come to pass. Preston are no mugs and they will deal with us quite comfortably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

A couple of reasons:

- We were awful to watch

- We were playing a relegation candidate

- We need 2 points a game as a minimum and we look like we are playing for 0-0 draws.

- In our current position outside the top two, a draw might as well be a loss.

If anything the better football was played by the opposition and had they scored when put through by Conor I do wonder if some people's opinions would have shifted somewhat. The first 10-15 mins of the second half was truly abysmal and quite why it took the manager as long as it did to make changes is perplexing

Edited by mykeyb
Grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

A couple of reasons:

- We were awful to watch

- We were playing a relegation candidate

- We need 2 points a game as a minimum and we look like we are playing for 0-0 draws.

- In our current position outside the top two, a draw might as well be a loss.

All valid points but I think it should be noted how much they hate us and it is the game of the season for them. They gave it everything. 

Anything less than 3 points Wednesday then this draw will be like a lose. Win Wednesday and 7 points from 4 hard games, 3 of them away from home is a decent return.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

The time to be top is after the last game is played.

Indeed.  And since the league is decided over quite a few games, in order to achieve that, you have to win many many games over a long period of time.

You have to achieve, and maintain, a win rate a little better than we are currently managing, even after September's run of easy fixtures and welcome wins.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MONCABA said:

Yes, they maybe one of the worst teams in the league, but, they are always going to raise their game against us. I'm  sure Cardiff would have been happy with a point a couple of games ago. This hard earned point and clean sheet might make a massive difference at the end of the season.

Hard earned point? We're not trying to avoid relegation are we. We need two points a game of which we are five points behin at this stage.

The game todays fixture equivalent in the premier league would have been Liverpool or Arsenal v Swansea or Bournemouth roughly speaking. Couldnt see them being happy with a point.

The two points lost could see us miss out on automatic promotion come the end of the season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Hard earned point? We're not trying to avoid relegation are we. We need two points a game of which we are five points behin at this stage.

The game todays fixture equivalent in the premier league would have been Liverpool or Arsenal v Swansea or Bournemouth roughly speaking. Couldnt see them being happy with a point.

The two points lost could see us miss out on automatic promotion come the end of the season.

We'll agree to disagree then my friend. 

• Like 1

I can't quite explain why but I'm more confident of a result at PNE than today; whether it was because SHA dragged us down to their level a bit and rushed us in to hoofball (and there are those who say credit to them for it).....or we just didn't fancy mixing it with them (no excuse, i know)....but as @Xela said, most derbies have been dogshite and most of us could've written the script for it, especially at the sty.

So, yes....i for one am quite positive that we'll do ourselves justice on wed night...and if I'm wrong then I'll be blaming Sky !

• Like 1

Â