Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Haha what have they done then?

They've taken the already existing Alexandera, refurbed it, added some temporary seats and it will go back to being an athletics centre after the games, it's at least fit for purpose and they don't need to worry about fobbing it off to anyone else 

Built a new £27m aquatics centre in sandwell which offers the region something great as the Midlands are way behind on the pool and diving facilities but next year it will be converted to a leisure centre, the seating is going and they're building sports halls

They have not just refurbished the Alex, they have completely rebuilt everything except the stand the built only a few years ago.  So now Birmingham and The UK has a truly world class permanent Athletics stadium. 

So many athletes are going to benefit from this.

We also now have a proper Olympic size Swimming and Diving pool for swimming to benefit from.  I know people involved in competitive swimming who currently have to travel miles. 

And I don't think people realise how well used The Alexander Stadium is by Birmingham, Midlands, UK and Worldwide athletes either. 

My kids were involved in athletics and I've spent a lot of time there. 

It was already the UKs premier athletics facility but it was very run down. Now they've got this brilliant brand new facility to use for years.  The main stand with all the facilities was totally knocked down and rebuilt. It's going to be brilliant and a great legacy. 

• Like 1

This sums up BCC

The Birmingham City Council has revealed that a plan to use shipping containers to show sports and films in Perry Barr will not be ready for the Commonwealth Games.

It was suggested that 14 containers with large screens and other facilities would be introduced to "maximise opportunities" for Birmingham 2022.

Another 72 containers were set to be added in the future for leisure and business purposes.

Nevertheless, the temporary scheme, which was approved three months ago, has been pushed back to later this year.

The council has claimed that the Perry Barr revamp was never solely about the Commonwealth Games.

Perry Barr is located close to the Alexander Stadium - the main venue for the prestigious event.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1125668/perry-barr-birmingham-2022

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Haha what have they done then?

They've taken the already existing Alexandera, refurbed it, added some temporary seats and it will go back to being an athletics centre after the games, it's at least fit for purpose and they don't need to worry about fobbing it off to anyone else 

Built a new £27m aquatics centre in sandwell which offers the region something great as the Midlands are way behind on the pool and diving facilities but next year it will be converted to a leisure centre, the seating is going and they're building sports halls

As a by the way, the World Athletics Championships have just kicked of in Eugene, Oregon.  It's being held at Hayward Field Athletic Stadium which also hosts the US Diamond League meetings. 

Hayward Field has a permanent capacity of 12,650 permanent seats and a temporary capacity of 25,000 for large events. Alexander Stadium will have 18,000 permanent seats and a temporary capacity of 32,000 so we will have a more impressive facility than Murica.  Surely we can be happy with that? 

Should secure us a Diamond League meeting for years.  Maybe they will have a shot at the World Championships. Unlikely but you never know. I think Wet Spam are trying to get out of the Athletics deal.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As a by the way, the World Athletics Championships have just kicked of in Eugene, Oregon.  It's being held at Hayward Field Athletic Stadium which also hosts the US Diamond League meetings. 

Hayward Field has a permanent capacity of 12,650 permanent seats and a temporary capacity of 25,000 for large events. Alexander Stadium will have 18,000 permanent seats and a temporary capacity of 32,000 so we will have a more impressive facility than Murica.  Surely we can be happy with that? 

Should secure us a Diamond League meeting for years.  Maybe they will have a shot at the World Championships. Unlikely but you never know. I think Wet Spam are trying to get out of the Athletics deal.

As an athletics arena like I said its fit for purpose, it's been built with athletics in mind, it was a diamond league venue before and will be one after 

Manchester got a 40.000 seater stadium

Be it the back end of corona or mainly imo these games are dying out this feels less of an event than Manchester and to me it feels like less of an investment as well, they've spent a hefty chunk of the budget on infrastructure improvement which I don't see, maybe its because we had the Olympics which blew everything out of the water, maybe its because there's so much else going on in the world 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As an athletics arena like I said its fit for purpose, it's been built with athletics in mind, it was a diamond league venue before and will be one after 

Be it the back end of corona or mainly imo these games are dying out this feels less of an event than Manchester and to me it feels like less of an investment as well, they've spent a hefty chunk of the budget on infrastructure improvement which I don't see, maybe its because we had the Olympics which blew everything out of the water, maybe its because there's so much else going on in the world 

Maybe, maybe not. But don't forget we came to the rescue very late in the day after they took it away from Durban. It was always a bit of a sticky plaster job. We had the chance to get this one guaranteed late in the day or compete for another one we might not have got. 

If we had a longer run up it might have been better planned and more infrastructure built but then again maybe we would have got nothing. 

As it stands we've got the new Alexander and in terms of legacy it's better to have than than a 40,000 white elephant they would eventually probably have to palm off to a professional sports club or demolish for housing. 

There has been a ton of development done in Perry Barr, loads of road infrastructure improvements, a new station at Perry Barr replacing probably the most dilapidated in the city, a massive new station at University (OK not finished in time but will be there nevertheless) 

Lots of repaving of the City Centre and security improvements. 

Some of these things were planned anyway but would have taken years to deliver but they've been pushed through. 

So it's much much more than a lick of paint at the Alex and a new leisure centre. There has been loads of stuff done all around the city. 

It will never be as highly regarded as Manchester because the press hate us and love Manchester, there's nothing we can do about that.  But it's been really good for the City already. A great legacy will be left behind, maybe not as good as it could have been but great nevertheless. 

• Like 1

I’m looking forward to it, got 2 evenings at the rugby and then my mom managed to get us tickets for the athletics as well. 

Only downside is that I was meant to be going with a friend who was so proud of brum getting an event like this. Unfortunately he got hit by a couple of cars last yr and passed away, so will be raising a drink in his honour.

• Sad 3

Living in Sutton we're really looking forward seeing the park actually get some national exposure. And the investment at Boldmere gate can only be a good thing (wish they'd sort out Town gate though, what a mess that is).

An advantage of the triathlon of course is that you can just go and watch without tickets (apart I think from the swimming at Powell's Pool).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Living in Sutton we're really looking forward seeing the park actually get some national exposure. And the investment at Boldmere gate can only be a good thing (wish they'd sort out Town gate though, what a mess that is).

An advantage of the triathlon of course is that you can just go and watch without tickets (apart I think from the swimming at Powell's Pool).

Not been through the park for a while but what have they actually done? I saw a while ago they had tarmacked out a new huge car park that will no doubt be used by the media only and then become somewhat redundant after it's over.

Wyndley is partly closed for public use for the next month now too.

Surely the failure to build a velodrome is the biggest disaster; one of (if not the) most successful sports and BCC ignore it. It would have been expensive; had the UK not voted OUT of the EU , we might have been able to have obtained ERDF (European Regional Development Fund) money for it. I could have helped 'em prepare the Bid. However, the UK voted out and Birmingham didn't seem to bother with a velodrome anyway.

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Surely the failure to build a velodrome is the biggest disaster; one of (if not the) most successful sports and BCC ignore it. It would have been expensive; had the UK not voted OUT of the EU , we might have been able to have obtained ERDF (European Regional Development Fund) money for it. I could have helped 'em prepare the Bid. However, the UK voted out and Birmingham didn't seem to bother with a velodrome anyway.

No, it would have been the biggest white elephant of all. There is just no more room in this country for another large arena velodrome and even if they had done like the swimming centre and converted the seating to other sports uses it wouldn't work. 

Derby has a velodrome with only a small amount of seating and it's lost millions. Never even broken even in it's lifetime and the council have to massively subsidise it. 

It might be a popular sport but it's hard to make money out of it.  The last thing Birmingham needs is to come out of this with white elephant arenas. 

Edited by sidcow

I've seen quite a few comments from people who went to the opening ceremony dress rehearsal last night and opinions seem pretty unanimous that it was really spectacular. 

Walked round town at lunch time today and there is a buzz building already. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Walked round town at lunch time today and there is a buzz building already. 

Shame you weren't allowed to have a drink whist there. Mate.

Flew in from frankfurt this afternoon and there was a few athletes on my flight from various different nations too rather than all together, looked like the Singapore badminton or table tennis team including what looked like a couple of 14 or 15 year olds, lot of Canadians in the baggage hall too, gave me a bit of a buzz, unfortunately didn't recognise a single one of them 

Got tickets to the hockey and Athletics next week.

Plus the triathlon is in Sutton park this weekend so I'm going to pop down on the Sunday to watch the relay as I think that's free to spectate

Looking forward to it a lot

On 15/07/2022 at 21:26, villa4europe said:

It's less of a event than Manchester as the London Media consistently under represent anything that goes on in the Midlands. It is a bigger event in terms of competitors and events than Manchester in 2002. Personally I think they have done a good job getting this ready given it had 2 years less than most bids due to Durban pulling out, plus Covid which messed up the athletics village scheme. 

It's a chance to enjoy a lot of different sports in our backyard and to show Birmingham and the wider West Midlands to the rest of the country and beyond.

Birmingham is also now bidding for the European Athletics Championship in 2026 along with Budapest so that could be a direct legacy from this event.

• Like 1

Has anyone booked parking for an event? I have but wanted to go in and amend a booking and the site won’t let me in 🙄

Such a same the train co are striking at such a vital time, another thing that will put brum in a bad light around the commonwealth games.

Â