Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

Didn’t every event have tickets available at £22? 

I went for the £55 rugby tickets as it just so happens to be the week of my dad’s birthday and rugby is his favourite thing in the world so it was a no brainier for his present. 😜

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just realised that the premier league season will be starting at the last weekend of the commonwealth games.  It is starting a week earlier because of Qatar.

Do I put in a bid for some events that weekend?!  Or perhaps Villa might request to play away for the first game as the city will be really busy.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

This could be the last proper commonwealth games as they are dropping the compulsory sports from 16 teo 2 which will be athletics and swimming. Think they are really struggling to get bidders in for 2026. So the next one could be full of e sports events.

Quite frankly, it's a bit bollocks. Let's have a serious of sporting events where the condition of entry is that you're either British or the Brits conquered or invaded you and stole all your resources for hundreds of years.

"We were invaded and all we got was this lousy sporting event"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Not long to go now.  The City is tarting itself up a bit. 

Hopefully we do ourselves proud, though as someone said elsewhere, it will be mostly ignored in the Media compared to the Manchester jizzfest because it's here. 

At least the legacy will be a mighty fine permant UK athletics stadium for the region and nation instead of a new stadium for a football club that should be building it's own. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not long to go now.  The City is tarting itself up a bit. 

Hopefully we do ourselves proud, though as someone said elsewhere, it will be mostly ignored in the Media compared to the Manchester jizzfest because it's here. 

At least the legacy will be a mighty fine permant UK athletics stadium for the region and nation instead of a new stadium for a football club that should be building it's own. 

Is the 9 month gap since the last posting in this thread down to a media blackout, or a lack of self promotion from the Midlands?

40 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Is the 9 month gap since the last posting in this thread down to a media blackout, or a lack of self promotion from the Midlands?

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Manchester took off on the back of the Commonwealth games. I think we're just going to let it pass and become the 'the most embarrassing accent in the country ' city again.

They built a 60k seater stadium and a world class velodrome 

Brums stuck temporary seats at the Alexandera stadium and built a leisure centre in Sandwell 

The games in general are dead 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Brums stuck temporary seats at the Alexandera stadium and built a leisure centre in Sandwell 

This is not the most incorrect statement I've ever read in my life but it's definitely in the top 1.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is not the most incorrect statement I've ever read in my life but it's definitely in the top 1.

Haha what have they done then?

They've taken the already existing Alexandera, refurbed it, added some temporary seats and it will go back to being an athletics centre after the games, it's at least fit for purpose and they don't need to worry about fobbing it off to anyone else 

Built a new £27m aquatics centre in sandwell which offers the region something great as the Midlands are way behind on the pool and diving facilities but next year it will be converted to a leisure centre, the seating is going and they're building sports halls

Â