Match Thread: Colchester v Villa

limpid

Positives: O'Hare, Adomah, Onomah, Green and Hogan.

It's almost strange to see the attacking side of the squad performing better.

Terrible conditions for a game, must be a mare to play. I hope we instill some more urgency at half-time because that all too familiar complacency seems to be kicking in. We need to control the game, that leads to confidence and forces the opponents out of the game. More movement and possession please. Up to you now Bruce.

Edit: Hourihane has been decent too. Samba and Birkir are having a real off day though :D

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 2

Just now, seannnc said:

Never want to see Thor and Samba in a back 4 ever again.

Why is Bjarnason at left back? I thought he was a right sided midfielder 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Good job Steer saved that penalty.... We've sold Baker, selling Amavi. Not sure selling them both was wise...

Selling Baker was a travesty IMO.

Colchester looked better than us the end of the half. Onomah running around and finding space, looking lively, he'll soon learn that's not how we do things, in fairness the others are showing him the "Villa Way" by hiding when he's on the ball and not giving him a passing option. Maybe second half he'll be as static on and off the ball as the rest of them.

I know Bruce will get absolutely panned for this again. 

But once again,  much like Hull and most of last season I just see really really poor decision making all over the pitch from our players. 

Players delivering poor passes when under no real pressure. 

Steaming into an opponent when there is no need to and you just need to keep them at bay, misjudging bounces.  Failing in a simple lay back to the taker of a throw in. 

Ignoring a player who has run into space when taking a throw in and waiting till we have to do a desperate throw in. 

Stopping when running down the wing and laying it back killing the attach instead of carrying on for the line and whipping it in. 

Ignoring the simple pass to a player in space and trying instead to play a 40 yard defence splitting pass that Ronaldo would have difficulty with. 

I said it after that Hull game and it just becomes more and more apparent.  Our players decision making if just awful. 

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

This reminds me stride for stride of Hull, albeit taking a 2nd chance.

I'm worried. 

In the first half at Hull we looked composed and completely at ease on the ball, it was one of the most enjoyable halves I've seen us play for ages, this was nothing like that. We've played very averagely against sub average opposition. I'm worried too.

Massively disappointing.

Bjarnason is shocking. Samba (who I really like) is having a bit of a mare.

Hourihane and Onomah need to get out of second gear. 

O'Hare looking good and Hogan just waiting for someone to understand his strength of a through ball (haven't seen one of them at Villa in a couple seasons). 

Fingers crossed. It would be nice to finish 3 or 4 goals ahead but in good old fashioned Villa it will be a butt clencher till the end.

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

In the first half at Hull we looked composed and completely at ease on the ball, it was one of the most enjoyable halves I've seen us play for ages, this was nothing like that. We've played very averagely against sub average opposition. I'm worried too.

We were very comfy for 30 mins.

So both of our goals have come from individual errors on their part. If they hadn't have happened we'd currently find ourselves 1-0 down against a league 2 side. And if the penalty hadn't been saved - even further behind. 

The weather isn't great, pitch looking a little water-logged which makes life harder, but we still aren't playing with any real sense of urgency and determination to put the opposition to the sword, not to mention the lack of quality when in possession of the ball. 

I know this isn't the strongest 11 but I'd expect more, as the majority of these players are next in line should we need them in the team.

Champions this season? Probably not.   

Edited by Tayls

Just now, carewjust4u said:

The negativity is becoming so boring, this is our second team playing in impossible conditions...and we are winning.

Impossible conditions?!!? It's just **** raining, the pitch looks ok to be honest.

• Like 2

Just now, GNeeUs said:

Massively disappointing.

Bjarnason is shocking. Samba (who I really like) is having a bit of a mare.

Hourihane and Onomah need to get out of second gear. 

Both of them just strolling about, playing nothing passes. A few times Samba has been a split second from stepping up and disastrously trying to win a ball in midfield because they **** are doing nothing.