Channel 4 relocation

islingtonclaret

On 26/07/2017 at 13:58, chrisp65 said:

Without going the full national stereotype, it's an interesting opening to a thread.

A media company might be moving out of London and the perception on a Midlands orientated message board is that it will likely go elsewhere.

I'd suggest that if 3 or 4 cities had to stand up and pitch for it, the Liverpool pitch would be that they should have it, they are owed it because they've been wronged in the past and they deserve it as they are a proud proud people with a rich history and have we mentioned we've been wronged in the past.

The Manchester pitch will be along the lines of well it's obviously coming to Manchester we are the new centre we are the second city and the natural choice as we are where it's at.

A Scottish city might claim it's a test of whether London even wants Scotland to stay in the union and they want Channel 4 plus a dowry or they're off.

Birmingham pitch? It'd be nice, but we're not expecting it, others will probably win. But yeah, if it came here we'd get over the additional congestion problems somehow, eventually.

Now that's a sweeeeeping generalisation. But I do go to my fair share of meetings around the UK, and there's a tiny tiny bit of truth in it. Chin up guys, Brum's as good as anywhere and is geographically close to ideal.

I know you're not saying they are, but I bloody hate it when people say Manchester is the second city. 

• Like 2

My Mrs parents were astonished walking around Birmingham. Everyone still thinks it's a 1960s concrete jungle, and the place has changed so much.

This city needs to get it's arse in gear and start acting like the second city it is.

350,000 people a second city does not make. 1.2 million does.

45 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

My Mrs parents were astonished walking around Birmingham. Everyone still thinks it's a 1960s concrete jungle, and the place has changed so much.

This city needs to get it's arse in gear and start acting like the second city it is.

350,000 people a second city does not make. 1.2 million does.

350,000 boasting Mancs create a lot more noise than 1.2 million moaning Brummies, unfortunately.

• Like 3

For some reason, Londoners think that Brummie is a worse sounding accent than Mancunian. 

I'm convinced that that is a significant factor. 

• Like 1

As @chrisp65 says, Manchester is constantly bigging itself up and every Manc you meet won't stop talking about how great their city is. I sit opposite one at work, cracking lad, but its Manchester this, Manchester that, best music in the word etc. Whereas us Brummies generally just play the city down and aren't one for boasting. 

Now I like Manchester, but its nothing special and certainly no better than Brum. 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

As @chrisp65 says, Manchester is constantly bigging itself up and every Manc you meet won't stop talking about how great their city is. I sit opposite one at work, cracking lad, but its Manchester this, Manchester that, best music in the word etc. Whereas us Brummies generally just play the city down and aren't one for boasting. 

Now I like Manchester, but its nothing special and certainly no better than Brum. 

IMG_2989.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â