Your starting XI - August 5th

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Given available options and assuming Grealish will be fit. I would like to see the following with Grealish and Hourihane having free reign to interchange.startingeleven.jpg.439898026a0d1c88f8fb9c8a7b8baa4f.jpg

Not bad.  I'd have Bree for Hutton and probably Adomah for Elmo but I'd be interested in the shape of that front 4.

I'd probably go for:

Johnstone 

Bree   Chester    Terry   Taylor

Whelan   Hourihane

Adomah                             Lansbury

Hogan       Kodjia

Whelan keeping the midfield strong and breaking up play, Hourihane playing clever balls forward. Lansbury tucking in to the amf sort of role (not wide left but on the leftish of midfield) and Adomah crossing and cutting in from the right. Bree and taylor overlapping and crossing too, and along the ground to the central forwards. Adomah and Lansbury knocking the ball along the deck to Hogan and Kodjia to run on to too.

Back four being impenetrable, just like Sam Johnstone's interview technique. 

• Like 2

I think Bruce would want to make a big statement for the 1st home game live on Sky against Hull.

Defence

If Baker is fit, the defence will pick itself to be honest. Terry and Chester will be calm and experienced as usual and I think they can push Baker to the next level.

Wing Back

Bruce rates Bjarnason a lot, especially in this position, he works hard and he will track back and will attack also. He always finds himself in good positions.

Elmohamady will play in the position that he was ultimately signed to do. He will try to play the ball into the box and may look to McCormack to push him into crossing positions. I think occasionally he could leave the right side exposed defensively but that is why we have Whelan.

Midfield

Whelan's role would be just to break up the opposition attack, play simple passes but stay disciplined and put the opponent under pressure alongside Lansbury. I am hoping that Lansbury will dictate the play a bit, spreading the ball to the byline allowing for both wingback's to put the ball in early into the box for our strikers, 

McCormack would suit this position well because he likes to roam around the offensive side of the park and pick the ball up from in and around the box. I could potentially see him linking up more with Kodjia opposed to Gabby. I think Gabby likes to come on the wing a bit more than often which could leave space for McCormack to have a chance at goal.

Strikers

I would not be surprised to see Gabby starting if he is fit. Gabby likes to hassle the defence, whether it is closing down the opposition further up the pitch, or playing his back against the goal bringing the midfielders in. I think he does more off the ball than any of our other strikers and he has a few goals in him this season. Kodjia starts because he does what he knows best i.e, scoring goals and creating opportunities for himself if no else does!

Shape

This is an ideal formation for Bruce based on discussion to the media and what he is trying to implement. It is a good formation if played correctly. It's the type of formation where you can play high tempo football resulting to an early goal in the first 25 minutes and then sitting back without changing too much. I think that this will pretty much be our game plan against stronger opposition in this league this season.

597109003e5e6.jpg

Personally I wouldn't have Bjarnasson as left wing back, I'd use Taylor, or Amavi before I used him there. 

I also don't think Gabby is going to start many games now, I think it's more likely he's an impact sub to sprint for 20mins at the end of games. So I'd probably have Hogan there instead. 

I just don't like 3-5-2 either... I'll be convinced if it works though!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Personally I wouldn't have Bjarnasson as left wing back, I'd use Taylor, or Amavi before I used him there. 

I also don't think Gabby is going to start many games now, I think it's more likely he's an impact sub to sprint for 20mins at the end of games. So I'd probably have Hogan there instead. 

I just don't like 3-5-2 either... I'll be convinced if it works though!

I see your point

I don't think Amavi will be here, i think the choices available for left wing back position are Taylor , Bjarnason,  Green (Despite being a winger).

To be fair I am not a fan of this formation too but.. I am convinced that Bruce is going to persist with this shape.

My problem with Hogan at the moment is that despite having the ability to do well here, he is adapting slowly and he is struggling in games. I just think that he has to impose himself a bit more into a game. He is always looking for that inch perfect through ball, but we rarely play that way, so he needs to find other ways of getting the ball whether it's coming up short or getting more touches ect

My opinion is that Bruce fancies Gabby upfront more than he does with Hogan right now.  I still think places are still up for grabs so Hogan still has enough time to impress.

• Like 1

Didn't we only play 3-5-2 a couple of times last year? One being that loss to Ipswich. I don't personally see any evidence that SB will want to stick with that formation. Perhaps I've missed something though. I suppose it depends what the opposition is, and I won't dismiss any formation out of hand. If we are winning with a 3-5-2 or anything else then I'm happy!

• Like 1

-----------------------johnstone---------------------

bree--------(c)terry----------chester--------------taylor

--------------whelan-------------lansbury----------------

hourinhane-------------------------------------elmo-------

----------------------------mccormack---------------------

--------------------------hogan-------------------------------

subs

bunn

de laet

samba

grealish

adomah

amavi

rusden-murphy

If we did go for a 3-5-2 then I would line up (even though I'd prefer not to use that formation probs)

Johnstone

Baker    Terry   Chester  

Elmo            Whelen                  Taylor

Hourihane        Lansbury

McCormack    

Hogan

(until Kodj is fit the it's a different kettle of fish).

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

If we did go for a 3-5-2 then I would line up (even though I'd prefer not to use that formation probs)

Johnstone

Baker    Terry   Chester  

Elmo            Whelen                  Taylor

Hourihane        Lansbury

McCormack    

Hogan

(until Kodj is fit the it's a different kettle of fish).

I think we will go 3-5-2, that teams not bad. I'd probably play Samba instead of Baker and I would be tempted to swap Hogan for Gabby. Hogan just doesn't do enough/anything for me. I don't rate him in the slightest based on what I have seen of him.

20 minutes ago, KHV said:

I think we will go 3-5-2, that teams not bad. I'd probably play Samba instead of Baker and I would be tempted to swap Hogan for Gabby. Hogan just doesn't do enough/anything for me. I don't rate him in the slightest based on what I have seen of him.

I probably would put Samba in too TBH if I'd seen him more and knew that pace would not be a serious issue. It didn't seem to be bad in preseason, so a back three of Samba, Terry and Chester would be formidable at this level. 

I think there is something about Hogan that I like, he's got that unshakeable confidence as if he knows he's going to score. Only played for us 5 times (I think) so not enough viewing time for me to say no. I'd give him a chance over gabby, then use gabby as an impact sub.

I think for Hull, I'd now go (although fairly controversial probably):

Steer

Hutton   Chester   Terry   Taylor

Elmo    Whelan    Hourihane  Green

Grealish   

Hogan

but as always, what the hell do I know.

• Like 1

Tough one - but should go out on the front foot:

Johnstone

Bree       Chester     Terry       Taylor

Whelan

Hourihane

Lansbury 

Elmo                                            Green

Hogan

Or... swap Green for Grealish and give him a 'free roam'.

Don't think Green and Grealish can start together unfortunately. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VERB27 said:

Tough one - but should go out on the front foot:

Johnstone

Bree       Chester     Terry       Taylor

Whelan

Hourihane

Lansbury 

Elmo                                            Green

Hogan

Or... swap Green for Grealish and give him a 'free roam'.

Don't think Green and Grealish can start together unfortunately. 

Exactly what I was going to post, basically whelan and Lansbury in for the 2 kids from the first game today a d obviously Bree in for Hutton, Hutton still gets so much possession it's untrue, even the opposition know when to sit back and let a certain player have it.

I'm hoping we play 4231 at home or even 442 once Kodija is fit. I think most of the 11 picks it's self due to a few injuries then it's down to formation 

JOHNSTONE 

Bree CHESTER TERRY TAYLOR 

WHELAN Hourihane 

ELMO Grealish GREEN 

HOGAN 

the ones in capitals are for me guaranteed and probably in everyone's team. Bree needs to be trusted he is better than Hutton and will only get better once RDL is fully fit it'll be good competition there. I've chosen Hourihane as I like his left foot balance but Lansbury looked good with Whelan so it's a toss up really. Grealish gets the nod but has lots to prove. A home game v Hull is ideal for him. The strength we've got in depth now is great and will get better as the injured get fit. All in all we've got the players now they need to be allowed to show it.  

I'm fairly confident Bruce is going to play 4-2-3-1 after the pre-season games in Germany.
He will pick Hutton if he's still here - Bree would be my choice but hey ho. The only decision is who to play behind the strikers? Can Grealish be effective? Would we see the best Angela there? If McCormack is still around (unlikely) would this get the best out of him?

Johnstone

Hutton       Chester        Terry       Taylor

Whelan         Hourihane

Elmo               ??????????         Green

Hogan

I also thought Steer looked much better than Johnstone but I'm sure Bruce will start will SJ.

Johnstone

Bree         Chester        Terry       Taylor

Whelan       Hourihane

Elmo               Grealish               Green

Hogan

• Like 1