Your starting XI - August 5th

Delphinho123

3 hours ago, dn1982 said:

GK is Sam Johnstone.

unfortunately, you are right - not convinced about SJ at all.

CB after Elphick and Richards go could be Samba

Elphick at a push

Richards as a training cone (maybe)

Samba got turned and ripped by a part timer - not convinced

The DM if he stays could be Veretout or even Lyden.

Can live with that

As for the wingers we've Adomah Green and Grealish and Birkir able to play wide too even if we get rid of Bacuna.  

Grealish & Thor are not pacey enough

Bacuna simply has to go

We've also a healthy bunch of kids underneath this lot.

agree, I'd like to see them blooded from the bench for 30mins once we're 4-0 up

The sqaud is virtually in place.

we'll soon see

Unless SB wants to just keep adding players. 

a la Sunderland

2 hours ago, KSV said:

seriously? Any team with him not starting is wrong. He will be our best player this year barring injury. 

Don't know if you are being serious or not

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

So, that's... no goalie, Hogan and Kodjia as fullbacks, McCormack as the holding midfielder, Hourihane, Veretout and Lansbury across the middle, Bree and Taylor on the wings, and Chester and Terry playing behind Johnstone as a lone striker? 

Reminds me of how MON's teams used to look after some of his second-half substitutions!

• Like 1

----------------------Kodjia-------Hogan------------------------

Bjarnason--------Jedinak-------Lansbury--------Adomah
Taylor--------------Terry-------Chester-----------------Bree
--------------------------Johnstone------------------------------

Not my preferred, more my prediction. I see us going for more of a solid 4-4-2. I think it suits our squad more and feel that Bruce favors it. We are one of the favorites and should play 2 up. We are not great in possession so maybe 3 in the middle helps, but that leaves the front man isolated. Back 4 picks itself, just Hutton or Bree for RB slot with RDL being eased in as the variable. 

I think with some of our players we're going to have to change formations and systems whenever we rotate or suffer with injuries and I'm not sure that's a positive. I'd like to have a preferred way of playing and a squad of players who can easily fit in it when needed. 

For example, if we want to play 4-3-3 then we can only really do that when Kodjia is fit. No other striker can really play as a lone forward, and we're limited with wide players who could fit that. 

If Adomah or Kodjia can't play we need to change formations and fit players in. That's got to effect consistency. 

8 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

unfortunately, you are right - not convinced about SJ at all.

Elphick at a push

Richards as a training cone (maybe)

Samba got turned and ripped by a part timer - not convinced

Can live with that

Grealish & Thor are not pacey enough

Bacuna simply has to go

agree, I'd like to see them blooded from the bench for 30mins once we're 4-0 up

we'll soon see

a la Sunderland

Samba looked fit and dominant in midweek. I know it was Telford but it's a start and he can be any worse. 

A defence of;

Johnstone

Bree Chester Terry Taylor

vs last years season opener:

Gollini

Hutton Elphick Baker Cissokho 

is undoubtedly much better.

and a midfield where we can play:

Hourihane Lansbury Green (for example)

vs last seasons opener:

Bacuna Westwood Gardener

... what a midfield that was, ha ha! We're in a much better position.

• Like 3

Right now i think the starting XI should probably be the one on the left of these three - especially as Hull will undoubtedly be without both starting fullbacks from last season, therefore will have newbies starting on both sides.  Should really aim to go at them on either flank and take advantage of any early unfamiliarity in their side.

What is for certain is that Bruce certainly isn't short of options, we effectively have 3 teams of (pretty much all) senior players at the moment!!

Villa squad depth.jpg

Edit: Obviously Kodjia isn't going to be ready so it won't be him up top.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Right now i think the starting XI should probably be the one on the left of these three - especially as Hull will undoubtedly be without both starting fullbacks from last season, therefore will have newbies starting on both sides.  Should really aim to go at them on either flank and take advantage of any early unfamiliarity in their side.

What is for certain is that Bruce certainly isn't short of options, we effectively have 3 teams of (pretty much all) senior players at the moment!!

Villa squad depth.jpg

Edit: Obviously Kodjia isn't going to be ready so it won't be him up top.

Interesting stuff - I've been hoping someone would do a map of the squad like this to help assess our strength in depth. I think the team on the right would be fighting relegation after about 5 matches. Think also there is no way Bruce won't start with Terry, so you need to do a bit of a merger of the left & centre charts.

Edit. Isn't Cissokho staying with Olympiacos? Hope so.

Edited by briny_ear

Johnstone

Bree  Chester  Terry  Taylor

Hourihane  Veretout  Lansbury

Adomah Hogan Green 

Pending injuries and all that.

Far from perfect I know.

The back 4 seem rather obvious. Don't want Jedi in the team as I think he does more harm than good. Hopefully those 3 can form a good trio.

I haven't seen anything from Hogan yet, but as Kodija is injured I rather have him than McCormack or Gabby. Greeen and Adomah are the wingers we have and both did well at least from time to time last season.

I really don't want us to play 4-4-2, but 3-5-2 with the right set up might work with the squad we have and with Green or Grealish playing behind the strikers.

Johnstone
Bree - Chester - Terry - Taylor
Veretout - Lansbury - Hourihane
Adomah - Hogan - Green 

If Kodjia is ready then obviously he starts instead of Hogan. I don't want Hutton anywhere near the starting 11 of our side.

• Like 3

This is tough. From our available players there never seems to be any recognisable shape to pick for.

Based on players still at the club not injured.

Johnstone

Bree Chester Terry Amavi

Lansbury Veretout Hourihane

Green Hogan Grealish

Not ideal but best chance of creating and scoring some goals, for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

where does Lansbury play then?

he doesnt. He is too similar to Hourihane. One or the other. At this stage i would start Conor due to his set pieces alone. We need a more creative player alongside Jedinak and one of Hourihane and Lansbury in a midfield 3. Id even play Grealish in an advanced forward role but preferably someone who will work hard off the ball too. 

11 hours ago, a m ole said:

This is tough. From our available players there never seems to be any recognisable shape to pick for.

Based on players still at the club not injured.

Johnstone

Bree Chester Terry Amavi

Lansbury Veretout Hourihane

Green Hogan Grealish

Not ideal but best chance of creating and scoring some goals, for me.

I like it because it addresses the issue of footballers - you have - in theory - almost a whole team who can play reasonable football, and some who could, if used right, score goals.  Some of the other variations leave us too light IMO in footballers as opposed to grafters and too few who might score goals.

Having said that its a conundrum because - as TRO keeps saying  - sadly none of the midfielders look very well equipped to actually win the ball, with Lansbury maybe being best bet.

• Like 1

I would like to see 343 if Samba has still got it

Chester Terry Samba/Bree 

A lot of players would miss out possibly Hutton Jedinak Taylor/Bjarnason Gabby McCormack which IMO would be a good thing but obviously won't happen

If we go with a back 3 it can only be

Chester Terry Baker

for balance

If it's a 4 in MF

Adomah Lansbury Hourihane & Green

so we can go with a nr 10 + 2 strikers (McC - Hogan & Kodjia/Gaby or Davis till Kodjia fit)

or 2nr 10's (McC & Grealish) and Kodjia

If its a 3-5-2 we dont need Jedi

Bree Lansbury McC Hourihane Green

Hogan Kodjia (Gaby/Davis)

A back 4 should only mean 4-3-3

Bree/RDL Chester Terry/Baker/Jedi Taylor

Lansbury Jedi Hourihane

then either

Adomah Kodjia (Hogan) Green

or

McC Grealish

Kodjia (Hogan or Gaby till fit)

or

McC

Hogan Kodjia (or Gaby till fit

Any of those as a 1st 11 in 80% of the games should walk this league

on the bench would be a selection (depending on formation and who is then not on the pitch) from

RB Bree RDL

CB Terry Baker Jedi Elphick (?)

LB Taylor Amavi

CM Jedi Veretout Lyden

AM McC Grealish

RW Adomah

LW Green Amavi

CF Hogan Gaby RHM Davis

That is using 20 outfield players

not using

Hutton Richards Samba (?) Gardner Bacuna Thor

Over to you Bruce & Calderwood

No excuses

Campeòn

Edited by Grasshopper

P.S. We can have SJ Bunn or anyone in Goal as they shouldnt have much to do

On a more humourous note

How about Baker as GK? on crosses and corners he'd take everybody out including the ref and at least one linesman!!!!

Edited by Grasshopper

596c08832f898.jpg

I'd put a new midfielder as top priority. We need someone who can dictate the game, tidy up, make the smart pass. Let the forwards do their job, let the defence do theirsand be the link we've been missing. Doesn't need pace, doesn't even need skill as such - just composure and a footballing brain. Someone of Barry ilk.