Your starting XI - August 5th

Delphinho123

Bruce will start

Johnstone 

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor 

Elmo Bacuna Whelan Green

Lansbury

Gabby 

I don't see he goal threat with that team though and it should be Hourihane in for Bacuna and Hogan in for a Gabby in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Bruce will start

Johnstone 

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor 

Elmo Bacuna Whelan Green

Lansbury

Gabby 

I don't see he goal threat with that team though and it should be Hourihane in for Bacuna and Hogan in for a Gabby in my opinion. 

SB hasn't started Bacuna through pre-season, he's usually preferred Lansbury or Hourihane, what makes you think he will start Bacuna in central midfield? I might be wrong but I don't remember him starting Bacuna in central midfield before? 

4-4-1-1;

Johnstone

Hutton Terry Chester Taylor

Elmo Whelan Lansbury Green

Onomah

Hogan

_______

Hogan over Gabby for me. Gabby had more about him in pre-season, but his failed goal attempt at Watford reminded me just how much he's lost from his locker in the last 5 years. Hogan has more pedigree to score than Gabby these days.

Onomah I think picks himself, but only because I think it'll be in his contract that he plays in every game he's fit to play in like Johnstone.

Lansbury with Whelan for me. We could play anyone with Whelan and do well I feel, but Lansbury has featured heavily in pre-season and I think that will continue into the season itself.

Elmo and Green pick themselves until further notice. Green is still a little green on the pitch, but he's also 19 so I can forgive that a little. Elmo was brilliant linking with Hogan in that one pre-season game so I want more of that Elmo.

The back four is the best back four we have. Hutton is solid defensively and I hope he stays put and lets Elmo do his thing. Samba on for Terry if he tires around the 70th minute but other than that great defensive group there.

Johnstone like Onomah pick himself. I would likely choose Steer here, but it's a no go as unless Johnstone has a poor performance clause in his contract he's starting every game this season.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Can see Bruce doing his classic move of completely abandoning his pre-season players and starting Onomah, demoralising everyone and playing somebody who isn't ready.

Hope I'm wrong.

Classic move. Does it at the start of every season he's been manager for us

35 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think we'll go:

Johnstone

Hutton  Terry  Chester  Taylor

Whelan  Lansbury  Hourihane

Elmo  Gabby  Green

I'd be happy enough with that. Just can't see how Bruce thinks Gabby is a better bet than our 15million striker though!! 

I think Hull are going to be one of the better sides we face all year, glad we're facing them early as they're hopefully on the downward spiral after relegation. 

They finished 18th, so should be the strongest of the relegated sides really, going on last year. I would imagine they will finish somewhere in the top 6 this year. 

If we're going to win this league though then we need to hit the ground running, would love a win, and would love to look classy. But would take a scrappy 1-0 :)

Wouldn't be surprised if they sit back and let us attack them, then try to counter us. Hopefully our defence is strong enough and we can break them down.

6 hours ago, AndyHowell said:

Since when did it make sense to play a youngster without a first team start a day after assigning?

Johnstone

Hutton, Chester, Terry and Taylor

Wheelan, Lansbury

Elmo, Lansbury, Houlehan, Green

Hogan

I suspect Bacuna will come in for Houlehan (a big season for him - I like him a lot but has to deliver from the off)

Ah the old 4-2-4-1. Bold ;)