John Terry

Farlz

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Read Neil Warnocks book " The Gaffer" you may form a different opinion.

This bit?

But, of course, there was another aspect this time with the Terry–Ferdinand incident. That would take almost a year to play out.

We weren’t aware of anything out of the ordinary when we left the ground and I drove home still feeling elated. I’d just got in the front door when I received a text telling me there were these scenes on YouTube of John Terry shouting “you black c...” or whatever, towards Anton. There was a link and even viewing it on my phone I thought it looked pretty obvious.

Anton hadn’t seen it at the ground because I don’t let them have phones in the dressing room. So when John had pulled him after the game and asked, “There’s no problem?”, Anton agreed because he hadn’t seen it. But when he did see it he was furious. I spoke to him and told him not to say anything to the press. Then I spoke to [QPR owner] Tony [Fernandes], who said he would ring Anton and give him the club’s total backing. The previous week the Luis Suarez–Patrice Evra affair had erupted and I realised this had the potential to become a big issue – but I had no idea how big the ramifications would be long term.

That night John Terry made a statement saying he was just repeating what Anton allegedly had said, and that was why he said it. That confirmed he had used the words. He should have just kept his mouth shut, as Anton never heard anything.

The police were probably the first to appreciate how things might escalate, as the following day they called Mick Jones (why they chose him neither he nor anyone else knew) and told him Anton’s home had to be secured, and would he go along with them to the house to help them do that. Then they rang him and said they wanted Mick to be responsible for Anton’s safety getting into the ground at the next home match – they needed to know where to take him to minimise the risk of anyone attacking him. Mick’s my assistant manager, not a security expert, so he replied: “You must be joking, that’s your job.”

We were off Monday, but matters continued to develop. Anton was still very angry, so the club made an official complaint to the FA. The Met Police also got involved more formally after someone made a complaint to them.

On Tuesday the FA announced, in response to our complaint, they would investigate. We trained as normal, but FA people came to the ground in the afternoon to talk to Anton and myself, plus Shaun Derry and Clint Hill, who the cameras showed were nearby when the incident happened. But what could we say? None of us had heard anything.

I wanted to carry on as normally as possible, so at lunchtime we had a couple of presentations. I gave extra Championship winners’ medals I’d had struck to reward some of the unsung staff, and we had birthday cake for Shaun Wright-Phillips, but we didn’t really enjoy that buzz you get at the training ground after a great result because it was overshadowed by the controversy.

The FA came back on Friday and interviewed Anton again, for two hours. It wasn’t the best preparation to face Tottenham and it showed. Anton was poor and continued to be so. I don’t think he ever played well for me again. His mind was affected – understandably given he even had a type of bullet sent to him in the post – and I don’t think he has ever been the same player. His concentration levels were poor and he had that many meetings with solicitors, the police (who by Tuesday after the Spurs game said they were launching a formal investigation), the FA and PFA that he missed a lot of training and his sharpness dropped. It didn’t help the team’s preparation either because you need your centre-half, especially if working on defending set pieces.

Shortly before Christmas the Crown Prosecution Service said they were charging Terry with racially abusing Anton. By the time Terry appeared in court to plead not guilty I had left QPR, but I followed events from afar. When, in September, the FA found him guilty of racially abusing Anton and banned him for four matches it finally seemed to indicate a line could be drawn under the events of 23 October, 2011.

8 minutes ago, 8pints said:

Which bit?

The bit where he explains......If you ain't got the players you are *****ed.

Its all about the players.

Yes the managers job is to get them, but you then have to blend them.....it takes time and a few windows depending on your fortune.

come on 8 pints.....you have read the book.

you don't have to believe all you read, but I think NW is pretty close to how it is.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

The bit where he explains......If you ain't got the players you are *****ed.

Its all about the players.

Yes the managers job is to get them, but you then have to blend them.....it takes time and a few windows depending on your fortune.

come on 8 pints.....you have read the book.

you don't have to believe all you read, but I think NW is pretty close to how it is.

I see what you're saying now, I thought you meant Terry specifically. A massive overhaul is the key to redemption in 18/19

29 minutes ago, 8pints said:

I see what you're saying now, I thought you meant Terry specifically. A massive overhaul is the key to redemption in 18/19

yes and we we need round pegs in round holes and square peg in square holes.

Center halves who can dominate.......No9's who can hold the ball up and bring players in with back to goal.......wingers who can run......midfielders who can pass......full backs who can defend and bomb on.

and all blend in to a functional machine that works in tandem.

• Like 2

Any solid quotes or articles suggesting it’s definitely probable he will leave?

Footballer aside, if he stays he keeps Jack’s head solid. I’m also frothing at the prospect of him helping Green and O’Hare like he did Grealish. 

The man - like him or not - provides so many intangibles to the squad that he is as important as our manager. 

Was a great addition to the squad and an admirable leader.

Also an example of why not to throw shit at people who have made poor decisions, as redemptive qualities can be found in abundance.

• Like 2

What’s interesting is terry has turned off his comments on insta for that last post. He never did that before. Maybe he don’t want to. BE flooded  with messages begging him to stay.

i think as much as it pains me to say, that’s him done with us. =(

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What’s interesting is terry has turned off his comments on insta for that last post. He never did that before. Maybe he don’t want to. BE flooded  with messages begging him to stay.

i think as much as it pains me to say, that’s him done with us. =(

Yes I saw his comment on how devastated he is that we failed - looked very much a goodbye message to me as he thanked fans for the support given this season 

Don't think he is mentally or physically up for another 46 game season in the Championship.

He missed 20 out of 46 games this season, he'll be 38 next year.

Think he's been invaluable to us this season for the things he has brought with him with experience, leadership and routine. 

But he's also been a bit exposed a few times by his lack of pace and mobility. Yesterday was one of those days.

Anyway it's been good having him here, more so than I initially thought.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sne said:

He missed 20 out of 46 games this season, he'll be 38 next year.

No he didn't. He played 32 games in the Championship this season. 35 if you include the playoffs.

And most of the ones he missed were for a broken foot. Not because he was unfit or too old.

I don't think he'll be here next season, so it doesn't matter, but I think he'd definitely be capable of another season at this level. He may have to play less, but he'd still contribute plenty imo.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Yes I saw his comment on how devastated he is that we failed - looked very much a goodbye message to me as he thanked fans for the support given this season 

You could be right, but players always thank fans for their support throughout the season, that is standard stuff.

I think and hope, that having looked at the pic of him consoling Jack and the comments from the other fans on that, that he just wanted to thank the fans without trolling from other fans ruining the sentiment.

Personally I hope he stays for another season, but that we shouldn’t be relying on him as much for our no.1 centre back. I hope we get in a less injury prone CB than Samba who can rotate with Terry and give him time to recuperate between matches. I still think Terry’s influence in the dressing room and with the youngsters will be invaluable for another season of development in the squad and team building. For too long we have had a loser attitude at the club, and I think he has helped turn that around, but we still have a way to go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No he didn't. He played 32 games in the Championship this season. 35 if you include the playoffs.

And most of the ones he missed were for a broken foot. Not because he was unfit or too old.

I don't think he'll be here next season, so it doesn't matter, but I think he'd definitely be capable of another season at this level. He may have to play less, but he'd still contribute plenty imo.

Think he was also rested for the last 4 or 5 games when we had playoffs secured

On 26/05/2018 at 20:44, TRO said:

I love his attitude.....but its time up for playing for me, too ponderous and lacks assertion for me.

I love the guy....but, its all over imo.

Who have you been watching this season because that is not the John Terry I've been watching. 

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah OK.

Read an article that said he missed 20 games for us. Really should not trust the things you read on the world wide web :blush:

Anyway I imagine this will be it for him and he will leave a gap in the dressing room.

Edit: It's this article on SKY and it claims he featured 26 times for us :o so that's obviously wrong.

Terry has featured 26 times for Villa this season - performing well in parts but carried in others by centre-back partner James Chester.

Terry is obviously no spring chicken anymore, to the extent that Fulham's sensation Ryan Sessegnon was just two days old when Terry was an unused substitute at Wembley in the 2000 FA Cup final.

He looked every bit of his 37-years-old against the sprightly young legs of this energetic Fulham side.

The brilliant Cairney spotted the weakness of Terry's lack of pace for the winning goal, bursting into space in behind the former England captain. Another misplaced header just before half-time after his positioning let him down almost allowed Sessegnon to score but a weaker header let Terry off the hook.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11386505/aston-villa-v-fulham-talking-points-fulhams-style-what-next-for-jack-grealish

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Who have you been watching this season because that is not the John Terry I've been watching. 

Its subjective, but i don't think he is quite the same since his injury.

I love John Terry and his persona about the place.....but would prefer an assertive Martin Laursen type dominant in the air.

He is also reluctant to come forward, because he can't get back....and we sit too deep.

Thats an observation, not a criticism....i love the guy....not literally of course.

Edited by TRO

Â