Finsbury Park Incident

Keyblade

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think a lot of people believe in an afterlife, whether it be genuine belief or just some form of comfort.

I get why some people are religious and  that it offers them spiritual comfort , guidance or whatever , but , if they sit there thinking they are going to an Afterlife , then frankly we should replace every place of worship with a mental institute and put people in them for their own protection

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I get why some people are religious and  that it offers them spiritual comfort , guidance or whatever , but , if they sit there thinking they are going to an Afterlife , then frankly we should replace every place of worship with a mental institute and put people in them for their own protection

You sound like one of my atheist mates!

I cant say i agree with you this one Tone as none of us really know what happens  

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I cant say i agree with you this one Tone as none of us really know what happens  

when you die leave me all your money and assets and I'll be sure to forward them on to you once you get settled in the Afterlife :) 

• Like 1

It should be said. Most suicide bombers aren't insane, or mentally ill. They are misguided, lead astray, violent... They aren't nuts (insofar as believing fairy stories is currently considered normal. Fingers crossed on that front).

And unfortunately the ones claiming to be Islamic are following an Islamic sect. Albeit a non mainstream one, one that disgusts most Muslims, they are using the same book and the same stories and some of the same ideas to peddle an evil ideology. Unfortunately they are good at selling it, there are people willing to buy it, and the world provides many opportunities to give them 'proof' of the veracity of their arguments.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

if people don't believe this is the only life they've got...then I'm not sure how much trust I can put in them to treat this existence, this planet, this life, everyone's life as the most important thing

One of the very scariest things about the cold war and the arms race was hearing that Reagan believed in "the rapture".  Having the lives of many millions of people placed at risk by someone whose odd beliefs presumably led them to think the downside of nuclear war was small in comparison to the delights of everlasting life, was truly frightening.

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

The reason is that if people don't believe this is the only life they've got, that this is as good as it gets, that this is al lthere is, that somewhere after death there is something better, then I'm not sure how much trust I can put in them to treat this existence, this planet, this life, everyone's life as the most important thing. 

Billy-D_Approves.gif

58 minutes ago, blandy said:

This isn't a comment about numbers, or any particular religion, or belief-set, but I kind of find it slightly worrying that there are large numbers of people who genuinely believe there is a "better life in the afterlife" or "reward in heaven" or any variation of that. The reason is that if people don't believe this is the only life they've got, that this is as good as it gets, that this is al lthere is, that somewhere after death there is something better, then I'm not sure how much trust I can put in them to treat this existence, this planet, this life, everyone's life as the most important thing. If they've got another, better, happier, rewarding life to get off to, then some of them will try and rush off to it. Makes them potentially dangerous, or more dangerous, potentially, than people who know that this life is all they've got, so they have to take complete care of it.

For me its not about having a better afterlife or anything like that but more the fact that I faith I will be reunited with the lost ones, the ones that passed. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. those who choose not believe that is their choice, but i really do feel sad for those that don't believe as if it is true who knows where you will end up... 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For me its not about having a better afterlife or anything like that but more the fact that I faith I will be reunited with the lost ones, the ones that passed. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. those who choose not believe that is their choice, but i really do feel sad for those that don't believe as if it is true who knows where you will end up... 

Please, don't feel sad about it. I love being someone who doesn't believe. I love having the clarity that this is my life, that I need to be the best version of myself that I can be. The idea of living eternally scares the shit of me. I'd be sick of death of it. If i'm given the option to live on after life has finished I will do everything in my power to reject it.

I can't understand why anyone would want to live for eternity. 

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

I know exactly what happens when you're dead.

I have had billions of years of experience of not being alive.

If I could like this comment more I would. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That's just a variant on Pascal's wager and isn't based on any evidence. It is based on a deep seated NEED to believe. 

Reality is far more amazing, in that all your deceased friends and family return their energy to the universe upon death, and allow the next generation to have their moment in the sun. 

Edited by Brumerican
REMOVED h FROM pASCHAL
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Please, don't feel sad about it. I love being someone who doesn't believe. The idea of living eternally scares the shit of me. I'd be sick of death of it. If i'm given the option to live on after life has finished I will do everything in my power to reject it.

I can't understand why anyone would want to live for eternity. 

If I could like this comment more I would. 

Each to their own I guess Pieface but some like to believe and have faith that they will be reunited with their loved ones. i would like to think this is the afterlife where we dont see so many horrible things like we have seen in our lives. 

I cant speak for everyone else but I like life in fact I love it. As long as I am fit and am able to look after myself thats what I want in life 

Just now, Brumerican said:

That's just a variant on Paschal's wager and isn't based on any evidence. It is based on a deep seated NEED to believe. 

Reality is far more amazing, in that all your deceased friends and family return their energy to the universe upon death, and allow the next generation to have their moment in the sun. 

Interesting theory there Brumerican. Its always good to hear the other side of the argument 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For me its not about having a better afterlife or anything like that but more the fact that I faith I will be reunited with the lost ones, the ones that passed. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. those who choose not believe that is their choice, but i really do feel sad for those that don't believe

And those of us that don't don't need sympathy, we are content, in fact we are far more content in life than those with beliefs. As we don't need a mystical comfort blanket to deal with the harsh realities of life.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

My favourite way of looking at it is that given that we are all atoms and were stardust for billions of years etc, we ARE actually the universe observing itself.  And that's very cool :) Then we go back to being part of it again when we're dead.

• Like 4

Just now, BOF said:

My favourite way of looking at it is that given that we are all atoms etc, we ARE actually the universe observing itself.  And that's very cool :) Then we go back to being part of it again when we're dead.

Oh absolutely . The very fact that magnetism can become self aware is totes amazeballs.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Interesting theory there Brumerican. Its always good to hear the other side of the argument 

Have a watch of this Dem.

There's nothing to fear.

Edited by Brumerican

It takes all kinds. Plenty of videos of people describing the afterlife etc etc. I believe for two reasons, 

1 comfort

2 experience of the paranormal and otherworldly experiences.

number 2 will get stamped on by the skeptics for being my imagination and not thinking rationally. I've experienced enough by myself and within groups to know what I saw and heard. It's a strange old world and there is plenty we don't know.

Â