Shrewsbury a 15th July 15:00

limpid

:crylaugh:

It's the same every year. A bad pre season result and people have a mental breakdown.

It means nothing. Go and have a beer and stop worrying about **** all.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

:crylaugh:

It's the same every year. A bad pre season result and people have a mental breakdown.

It means nothing. Go and have a beer and stop worrying about **** all.

And this happens every year. Shame it isn't always true. 

The boro friendly really sticks out in my mind for it. 

Funnily enough, those that have had concerns have been fully justified for the last 4/5 years, while those who keep the 'things will be fine' and mock any negativity have been wrong on a spectacular level. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And this happens every year. Shame it isn't always true. 

The boro friendly really sticks out in my mind for it. 

Funnily enough, those that have had concerns have been fully justified for the last 4/5 years, while those who keep the 'things will be fine' and mock any negativity have been wrong on a spectacular level. 

That's because we've been shit when it mattered the last few years. 

We've had pre seasons in the last few years where we've done really well. 

We had pre seasons 20 years ago when we were shit and then we're in the top 4 teams in the country. 

It means **** all. If we're shit this year then we'll be shit. How we do against Shrewsbury Town in July will have very little bearing on how it pans out. 

Edit: I'd be saying the same thing if we'd just hammered them 10-0 and people were claiming wed win the league as a result.

Edited by Stevo985

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We had pre seasons 20 years ago when we were shit and then we're in the top 4 teams in the country. 

It means **** all. If we're shit this year then we'll be shit. How we do against Shrewsbury Town in July will have very little bearing on how it pans out. 

Edit: I'd be saying the same thing if we'd just hammered them 10-0 and people were claiming wed win the league as a result.

I disagree. As a result it means nothing, I'm not concerned with the score or if we win or lose. But there's no way that these games mean absolutely nothing when issues that were clearly a problem last year are still clearly there 3 weeks before our season starts. And it's been the same in previous years where concerns have been dismissed as meaningless pre season games and surprise surprise those issues start showing in when it matters. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. As a result it means nothing, I'm not concerned with the score or if we win or lose. But there's no way that these games mean absolutely nothing when issues that were clearly a problem last year are still clearly there 3 weeks before our season starts. And it's been the same in previous years where concerns have been dismissed as meaningless pre season games and surprise surprise those issues start showing in when it matters. 

Have a beer and relax.

Worrying about a pre season game is futile. 

Save your outrage for when we lose to Hull in August.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Have a beer and relax.

Worrying about a pre season game is futile. 

Save your outrage for when we lose to Hull in August.

Typing a message on an internet forum voicing concerns really doesn't stress me out that much. I'm quite relaxed thanks. 

VT is hilarious at times :D

I'm also not surprised to see Hutton getting pelters - pretty sure it's just because of his name these days. Personally, thought he linked up pretty well with Green in the first half and we looked a threat down the right. Taylor was **** atrocious on the left, though. No mention of him whatsoever :D.

Having watched Telford and this game, it seems that Green will be out most dangerous outlet this season (outside of Kodjia), Veretout is our most promising central midfielder and Terry will play passes well. He picked out a great ball to Hogan in the first half this game. Cracking stuff.

I have my concerns over Bruce and our style of play, but honestly not fussed about pre-season in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

When was that then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

And we finished 6th in the Premier League after that successful preseason. 

But if I remember correctly O'Neil used a lot of youth players to win the Peace Cup and didn't use one of them during the regular season.  Including "No goal for you" Guzan (Friedel was no.1) and Marc Albrighton who had a fantastic Peace Cup. 

I've got a theory on why Hutton and Richards in particular played rather than Samba.  Bruce figures we're stuck with Richards and his wages and he wants to use the preseason to see whether we can get by with Richards as a backup before committing salary funds to Samba.   If Richards is too dire, he'll offer Samba a contract.  Judging by the first 2 friendlies, I'd say Samba will be offered a contract.   Let's hope I'm right.  I'd rather have a slow beast who will dominate the air than an "athletic" headless chicken whose speed won't matter when he's nowhere near where he should be.

I don't know why we don't try 3 at the back with Chester Terry Bree/Samba

Obviously this would mean no spot for some or all of Taylor Bjarnason Hutton but I really don't give a bollocks 

I've just commented in the transfer thread, that I've come away from the Shrewsbury game with complete opposite opinions to most others I've seen!

A few thoughts:

McCormack - I think he looks good. Yes he's rusty, lacking fitness and probably short of confidence, but he's still one of the only players we have that can genuinely read the game. No one else was dropping back into pockets of space and receiving the ball in danger areas. He tried the 'quick lay off' quite a few times, and it only came off a few times, but you could see his frustration with himself every time it didn't. Showing me that he still wants to succeed here. If we played a formation with a number 10, then I'd happily put Ross there. He's capable of (many) goals himself, but he also shows creativity that we've really been lacking.

Green - (tin hat time) I'm still not seeing this great, starting player that everyone else is seeing. I agree his physique is impressive for a kid his age, and he's got pace and an eye for goal when given the chance, but I'm still not seeing enough from him to be considered a starter. The best moments from him yesterday were when Hutton played a clever through ball for him to run onto. A pacey player should be getting those balls 8 times out of 10, and I find it difficult to credit him with those attacks unless his cross/pass then finds a villa player or the net. This has been my gripe with Green from day one, I'm struggling to see enough from him when he has the ball at his feet. I can't recall seeing him 'skin' a defender many times, and he doesn't have that 'Ashley Young' flair to turn a defender inside out. It pains me to say it, but Jordan Amavi took on more defenders than Green did yesterday. I hope he comes good, and I'm always rooting for him I have a shot or take a player on, but as of yet, he's nothing more than a 'prospect' in my eyes.

Keinan Davis - I'm not seeing much more from him than I haven't already seen before in the youth set-up. I'd even say he has less about him than Delfouneso or Weimann did when you were his age. Maybe I'm being harsh, as I've only seen him a handful of times. He can hold the ball up well, to be fair to him, but I think the days of a player making a career with that alone are behind us.

Thor - (another tin hat moment?) I thought he looked good! I agree with comments I've seen that he looks like a centre-mid on the wing. The thing I like about him is that he's full of energy, and even when he fluffed a pass, he managed to get the ball back through determination. He has the makings of an Icelandic James Milner. He didn't influence the game much yesterday, but he still threaded a few good passes down the wing to Taylor (who was fairly poor). I think he's a decent option to have. I think some people may automatically think he's crap because of what we saw from him last year, but I can actually see him bagging a few goals for us this year, through blood, sweat and thunder alone.

Terry - He looked quite 'classy', if you can show class against Shrewsbury. There was one moment where their number 9 out-muscled him in the air, but other than that, he looked assured, confident and like the best reader of the game on the pitch.

Johnstone, Chester, Hourihane, Hogan - same as last year.

Also, a shout-out to the chirpy old chap who sat behind me in the second half, who only stayed for 15 minutes and managed to call every player on the pitch a tw*t. He also thought Richards was Okore, commenting "Is that that tw*t OKRA? He said he'd never play for us again!"

The best moment of the game was when Shrewsbury went 2-0 up and that idiot left :D

EDIT: How could I forget my MOTM, Hutton! I'd still like us to sell him, because his stock is high right now m and we're not short at RB, but he was our best player yesterday, in my opinion. The majority of our attacks either came from his through-balls to Green or Hutton going on a run himself (as worrying as that is). 

Edited by Rob182

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

When was that then?

Well last season for a start. We lost to Boro but that was our only defeat. Our other games included an 8-0 victory, a 5-1 victory and a 3-0 victory.

Yet we had a pretty shite season.

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

And we finished 6th in the Premier League after that successful preseason. 

We also lost 2-0 to Oxford that pre season and only drew with Colchester. 

We finished 6th the season before yet got comfortably beaten 3-1 by Lincoln in that pre season. 

Why do people do this to themselves every pre season?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We also lost 2-0 to Oxford that pre season and only drew with Colchester. 

We finished 6th the season before yet got comfortably beaten 3-1 by Lincoln in that pre season. 

Why do people do this to themselves every pre season?

Because they have to be angry at something? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Also, a shout-out to the chirpy old chap who sat behind me in the second half, who only stayed for 15 minutes and managed to call every player on the pitch a tw*t. He also thought Richards was Okore, commenting "Is that that tw*t OKRA? He said he'd never play for us again!"

Imagine being such a dedicated fan to go to Shrewsbury to watch a pre-season game, but not be able to recognise Micah Richards or remember that Okore left a year ago.

• Like 1

Â