On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Nothing quite like a sandal wearing 50-odd year old telling a couple of 30-somethings how shit their music is, ay? :lol:

I listened to a couple of tracks of that.  Seems like DJ Shadow to me with a lady singer.  Not bad.  But better heard in a film like fight club than just listened to.

FWIW, the 66 year old's view: Portishead - meh, dull. Oasis - sounded fantastic on the first few listens, a refreshing return to guitar rock. But on repeated listens, irritating as all hell. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

And to think, three years earlier this absolute masterpiece was released (26 years today)

R-15820-1257406281.jpeg.jpg

I just think it opens the Gallagher brothers mouths and shits down their already bile filled throats

A fantastic album which probably did change the course of modern music for the better, which is not something the Derivative Brothers could ever be accused of #gauntlet #thrown

I'n fact I'm putting it on right now...

Nobody on here has ever said they were original or reinvented the wheel. They didn't. However, Oasis do mean an awful lot to a large portion of my generation and quite a few people on here as well. 

Next you'll be saying you don't rate the Beatles! 

p.s I quite like Portishead. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

FWIW, the 66 year old's view: Portishead - meh, dull. Oasis - sounded fantastic on the first few listens, a refreshing return to guitar rock. But on repeated listens, irritating as all hell. 

I don't mind if you don't like it.  I understand that. I don't understand wading into a mature conversation about oasis and saying "they're shit, listen to this instead" 

:lol:

Some Oasis stuff I'm not keen on.  It takes a lot to like them as people, but I was in the right time to LOVE them unconditionally.

Since them, nothing comes to close to my ears unfortunately.. as limiting as it is :(

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I could have predicted that would be your opinion

Their Thrid studio album "Third" is actually my favourite much more "krauty". I still hold out hope of a fourth, they didn't rule it out last year and there was ten years between the second and third, it's only been 12 since Third

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

And to think, three years earlier this absolute masterpiece was released (26 years today)

I just think it opens the Gallagher brothers mouths and shits down their already bile filled throats

A fantastic album which probably did change the course of modern music for the better, which is not something the Derivative Brothers could ever be accused of #gauntlet #thrown

Funny, I just listened to their second last night as I was going to sleep after not having listened to any of their stuff for many months.  I still remember first hearing  them when National Public Radio did a short segment on this new sound coming out of England, and thinking "That's really cool and different."

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

Their Thrid studio album "Third" is actually my favourite much more "krauty". I still hold out hope of a fourth, they didn't rule it out last year and there was ten years between the second and third, it's only been 12 since Third

One of my favourite albums of all time.

Machine Gun is still as impactful all these years later.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bickster said:

Their Third studio album "Third” is actually my favourite much more "krauty". I still hold out hope of a fourth, they didn't rule it out last year and there was ten years between the second and third, it's only been 12 since Third

Third is an absolute belter of an album, far better than Dummy. Like Oasis you can see the influences. “We Carry on” is Silver Apples “Oscillations”, er, inspired,for example.

They released a track called “chase the tear“ after Third. It’s the song I’ve heard most in the last however many years, as it’s the one I’ve set on my iPad as the alarm clock.

Also, I really like some Oasis stuff. Nice one, sorted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Third is an absolute belter of an album, far better than Dummy. Like Oasis you can see the influences. “We Carry on” is Silver Apples “Oscillations”, er, inspired,for example.

They released a track called “chase the tear“ after Third. It’s the song I’ve heard most in the last however many years, as it’s the one I’ve set on my iPad as the alarm clock.

Also, I really like some Oasis stuff. Nice one, sorted.

I'd never heard that before. Amnesty International single from 2010. Bit Kraftwerky (Trans Europe Express / Autobahn - not the vocals obvs), I like it

They did actually do a fantastic cover of SOS by ABBA for some movie called High Rise soundtrack a few years ago (it couldn't be further from an ABBA track if it tried)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm nothing if not predictable. 

You might like this though (possibly), same singer Beth Gibbons with Paul Webb (Bass player with Talk Talk) Rustin Man. The first Album has Beth singing throughout, the second Rustin Man album doesn't feature her at all.

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

You might like this though (possibly), same singer Beth Gibbons with Paul Webb (Bass player with Talk Talk) Rustin Man. The first Album has Beth singing throughout, the second Rustin Man album doesn't feature her at all.

Yes, I do like that. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bickster said:

Never heard of it

17 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Never heard of it

17 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Me neither

Triple Platinum (UK) Double Platinum (Europe), Gold (US) and Mercury Prize winning album (when it was actually much more of an accolade)

It's not exactly obscure, not only that but it sort of defined a new direction of music for many that followed. Massive Attack may have been first (Geoff Barrow was actually their tape op) but this took the "Bristol Sound" in a different diection.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bickster said:

You might like this though (possibly), same singer Beth Gibbons with Paul Webb (Bass player with Talk Talk) Rustin Man.

Another of my favourite albums, that one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Got mine from HMV in Sutton.  Didn't it come with a little "Was There Then" certificate?

It should have done. I have no recollection if mine came with one or if it did, I probably lost it/threw it away! 

Â