On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Unconditional surrender of Argentine troops on the Falklands

EadfawbWsAA7h0v?format=jpg&name=900x900

Was just reading an article last night about an Argentina plot to blow up a British Warship with limpet mines in Gibraltar... never heard of this before!!  Operation Algeciras If anyone is interested 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Genie @lapal_fan @villa4europe

23 years to the day since Be Here Now was released. 

BeHereNowcover.jpg

I think its the only album i've actually got up for an headed into town to buy on the day of release. 

Got the bus up to Brum and went to the massive HMV in the Pavilions as it was back then. Played it to death. I loved it and to be honest, to this day I still do. Listened to it only the other week on a longish drive. Yes, its flawed and too long but its part of its charm for me. It was the fastest selling album in UK history at the time. 400k or so sold on the opening day. 

A young Pete Doherty queued up for it as well

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

BeHereNowcover.jpg

I think its the only album i've actually got up for an headed into town to buy on the day of release. 

Got the bus up to Brum and went to the massive HMV in the Pavilions as it was back then. Played it to death. I loved it and to be honest, to this day I still do. Listened to it only the other week on a longish drive. Yes, its flawed and too long but its part of its charm for me. It was the fastest selling album in UK history at the time. 400k or so sold on the opening day. 

Was only 10 at the time, but I remember my brother planning for it with our next door neighbor (same age, 16).

Always loved a new Oasis record coming out because it meant I got to listen to it everyday as my brothers wake up alarm.

Like you, I still adore it, I could care less it's long (just gives me more stuff I love to listen to) and I find it still very listenable.

D'you know what I mean?

Stay Young

All around the world

Don't go away

Fade in-out

Be here now

I hope, I think, I know

Stand by me

Are the obvious favourites to me.

I remember my brother going to see them at this time to, and he got a CD there which was a bootleg called "the devils refugee" which captured my imaginatttiiiiooooonnn.

It was big, brash and I love it.  A symbol of when they really were the biggest band in the world and it's just fun.

Really fun memories and just made me hyper excited for anything after.  Saw them after they released Stand on the shoulders of giants, and I saw them a bunch after heathen chemistry.  Went to their last ever UK gig at Heaton park before Paris in 09.

My favourite gig was at the Milton Keynes bowl... Just me and my brother, up on each others shoulders for certain songs and we got down there and back on the bus.. a bomb scare in digbeth meant we couldn't get back and just sat on the bus listening to more Oasis :)

A magical day which will never happen again sadly, but one of my favourites.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

BeHereNowcover.jpg

It’s a great album, I listened to Magie Pie just yesterday. So many great songs. Don’t go away could have been bigger than Wonderwall had they released it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I remember my brother going to see them at this time to, and he got a CD there which was a bootleg called "the devils refugee" which captured my imaginatttiiiiooooonnn.

Noel was playing guitar like Slash on this tour. I have the G-Mex gig on my phone and listen to it regularly. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

@lapal_fan When did you see them at MK? You may have mentioned it before. I saw them there in 2005.

I don't think Stay Young was on BHN? It was a B side to D'You Know What I Mean, which came out before the album. What an opening song to the album... guitars, helicopters and an intro that lasted minutes! 

@Genie Don't Go Away is an anthem. Think it was released as a single in Japan only?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

@lapal_fan When did you see them at MK? You may have mentioned it before. I saw them there in 2005.

I don't think Stay Young was on BHN? It was a B side to D'You Know What I Mean, which came out before the album. What an opening song to the album... guitars, helicopters and an intro that lasted minutes! 

@Genie Don't Go Away is an anthem. Think it was released as a single in Japan only?

I had the Japan version, had a great version of Fade Away as a b-side.

I’m not sure why they didn’t push it in the UK.

Liams voice went down hill for a few years after this tour

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Yea it was 2005.  I actually really liked don't believe the truth.  

Turn up the sun

Lyla

Guess god thinks I'm Abel

Let there be love

Good times 😊

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Turn up the sun

Lyla

Let there be love

Good times 😊

Turn up the sun is possibly the only Oasis song I dislike. I’m not sure why. I actually really like Little James, the lyrics are terrible but everything else about it is brilliant. It sounds a lot like the great b-sides of that time. They should re-do it with new lyrics for a laugh.

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Turn up the sun

Lyla

Let there be love

Good times 😊

Think they finished with a cover of My Generation. Don't Look Back in Anger was in the encore as well

I went on the Saturday and it was roasting! 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Think they finished with a cover of My Generation. Don't Look Back in Anger was in the encore as well

I went on the Saturday and it was roasting! 

That's the one!  Absolutely boiling.  Only cooled down after the gig.  Saw a girl having a wizz in the woods after.. pretty novel.

Was just about to say, Liam's version of My Generation is awesome.  Notable one for Noel is Helter Skelter, which I never saw him do (but listen to all the time in the car).  Also.. Heroes.  Love all their covers.

My latest favourite Noel song is Lord Shine a light on me.. which I'm led to believe is a massive rip of a pink Floyd song I've never heard, but I love the Noel parts of it. (A b side from his solo stuff).

Lastly, Noel releasing "don't stop" earlier this summer was spine tingling for me and came just at the right time.

Loving Liam's two solos too, glad he's going back into the booth soon too! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

That's the one!  Absolutely boiling.  Only cooled down after the gig.  Saw a girl having a wizz in the woods after.. pretty novel.

Was just about to say, Liam's version of My Generation is awesome.  Notable one for Noel is Helter Skelter, which I never saw him do (but listen to all the time in the car).  Also.. Heroes.  Love all their covers.

My latest favourite Noel song is Lord Shine a light on me.. which I'm led to believe is a massive rip of a pink Floyd song I've never heard, but I love the Noel parts of it. (A b side from his solo stuff).

Lastly, Noel releasing "don't stop" earlier this summer was spine tingling for me and came just at the right time.

Cum On Feel The Noize is my favourite Oasis cover. Absolute stonking version of an already great song 

Going back to the MK gig, I remember that bomb scare. It was all over the motorway gantry signs when I was driving back from Hereford at about 4am - it was a long day! - Left MK at 11pm, food in Cheltenham at about 1am and then in Herefordshire at a mates house an hour or two later! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cum On Feel The Noize is my favourite Oasis cover. Absolute stonking version of an already great song 

Going back to the MK gig, I remember that bomb scare. It was all over the motorway gantry signs when I was driving back from Hereford at about 4am - it was a long day! - Left MK at 11pm, food in Cheltenham at about 1am and then in Herefordshire at a mates house an hour or two later! 

We were sat on the Aston express way on a coach into digbeth for about 4 hours.

We called my old man in the end, walked along the motorway after getting the bus driver to let us off and walked somewhere he could get to without being blocked out of the road system. :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Both albums have some really good songs, some ok songs and some bloody awful songs imo. 

20 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Cum on feel the noize was also a brilliant cover. 

20 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Like you, I still adore it, I could care less it's long (just gives me more stuff I love to listen to) and I find it still very listenable.

Quick question; Have you got the Be Here Now reissue from 2016? 3 CD. Includes all the Mustique demos and songs not on the original album or b-sides. 40 songs in total. If not, worth checking out. Its the version I listened to today streaming on Spotify (they've got 5 different versions of BHN on there but struggle to see what the differences are on some)

And to think, three years earlier this absolute masterpiece was released (26 years today)

R-15820-1257406281.jpeg.jpg

I just think it opens the Gallagher brothers mouths and shits down their already bile filled throats

A fantastic album which probably did change the course of modern music for the better, which is not something the Derivative Brothers could ever be accused of #gauntlet #thrown

I'n fact I'm putting it on right now...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Quick question; Have you got the Be Here Now reissue from 2016? 3 CD. Includes all the Mustique demos and songs not on the original album or b-sides. 40 songs in total. If not, worth checking out. Its the version I listened to today streaming on Spotify (they've got 5 different versions of BHN on there but struggle to see what the differences are on some)

No mate, but thanks to the tube I've heard it plenty.

There's a couple of androgynous amorphous tracks Noel worked with them on, that he claimed to have burnt the only copy of, they're pretty cool.  

And YouTube has this guy called hazed, who's done some amazing work on Oasis dubs etc.  Gas panic (whatta tune) has been hazed to good effect.

Obviously the Noel remastered d'ya know what I mean is great with the stripped down guitars and increased orchestra too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

And to think, three years earlier this absolute masterpiece was released (26 years today)

R-15820-1257406281.jpeg.jpg

I just think it opens the Gallagher brothers mouths and shits down their already bile filled throats

A fantastic album which probably did change the course of modern music for the better, which is not something the Derivative Brothers could ever be accused of #gauntlet #thrown

I'n fact I'm putting it on right now...

Nothing quite like a sandal wearing 50-odd year old telling a couple of 30-somethings how shit their music is, ay? :lol:

I listened to a couple of tracks of that.  Seems like DJ Shadow to me with a lady singer.  Not bad.  But better heard in a film like fight club than just listened to.

• Like 2

Â