On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

Aye. 

As the other one, I wouldn't have a clue what he looked like. I cleansed my memory of his time here. 

Spoiler

Purely off the clues from you and sid, and coz there's no macinally and Lambert's too young, Eric Black. I'd never have got that if I wasn't thinking manager/coach in a zillionty years. 

God knows where though 😅

Edited by VILLAMARV
Added bit

45 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Purely off the clues from you and sid, and coz there's no macinally and Lambert's too young, Eric Black. I'd never have got that if I wasn't thinking manager/coach in a zillionty years. 

God knows where though 😅

I am sure he is left of Leighton at the back as we look

• Thanks 1

On first glance the only players I could recognise were Leighton and Willie Miller. Then I clocked Gordon Strachan just in front of Leighton. 

12 hours ago, Xela said:

On first glance the only players I could recognise were Leighton and Willie Miller. Then I clocked Gordon Strachan just in front of Leighton. 

Leighton, Strachan and Brian Gunn with hair for me. 

1967 - 53 years old - and guitar based music was changed forever.

AreyouexpUK.jpg

Released in the UK on May 12, 1967, Are You Experienced spent 33 weeks on the charts, peaking at number two. The album was issued in the US on August 23 by Reprise Records, where it reached number five on the US Billboard Top LPs, remaining on the chart for 106 weeks, 27 of those in the Top 40. The album also spent 70 weeks on the US Billboard Hot R&B LPs chart, where it peaked at number 10. The US version contained some of Hendrix's best known songs, including the Experience's first three singles, which, though omitted from the British edition of the LP, were top ten hits in the UK: "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe", and "The Wind Cries Mary".

--------

Are You Experienced was an immediate commercial success, selling more than one million copies within seven months of its release. Reviewing the album in 1967, Melody Maker praised its artistic integrity and the Experience's varied use of tempo. NME's Keith Altham said it is "a brave effort by Hendrix to produce a musical form which is original and exciting". However, not all contemporary writers gave the LP a favorable review; in November 1967, Rolling Stone's Jon Landau wrote that although he considered Hendrix a "great guitarist and a brilliant arranger", he disapproved of his singing and songwriting. He criticized the quality of the material and described the lyrics as inane: "Above all this record is unrelentingly violent, and lyrically, inartistically violent at that."

Many music critics have since named Are You Experienced as one of the greatest rock and roll debut albums. Journalist Ritchie Unterberger described it as "one of the definitive albums of the psychedelic era." Author Chris Smith said the release was "a landmark in a summer of landmark albums". Noe Goldwasser, the founding editor of Guitar World magazine, called it "a veritable textbook of what a musician can do with his instrument" and "the measure by which everything ... in rock and roll has been compared since." According to music journalist Charles Shaar Murray, the album "completely changed notions of what a guitar could sound like, or indeed, what music could sound like", while The Miami Herald credited Are You Experienced with introducing acid rock, classic rock, and the guitar aesthetic of heavy metal. Critic Robert Christgau called it a "bombshell debut" in his review for Blender and said its songs were innovative for how they utilized three-minute pop structures as a medium for Hendrix's unprecedentedly heavy and turbulent guitar and loud, powerful hooks, which greatly appealed to young listeners

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Experienced

• Like 4

4 years earlier something didn't happen.

Bob Dylan was slated to make his first nationwide television appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show on May 12, 1963.  For the show, Dylan decided to perform “Talkin’ John Birch Paranoid Blues”, a satirical blues number skewering the conservative John Birch Society and the red-hunting paranoia associated with it.  A few days earlier, Bob Dylan auditioned the song for Ed Sullivan who seemed to have no issue with it.  However, on the day of the show during the dress rehearsal, an executive from the CBS Standards and Practices department decided Dylan could not perform the song due to its controversial nature.  When the show’s producer, Bob Precht, informed Dylan of the decision, Dylan responded saying, “No; this is what I want to do. If I can’t play my song, I’d rather not appear on the show.”  Rather than choose a new song to perform or change the lyrics (as the Rolling Stones and the Doors on Ed Sullivan would agree to do), a young Bob Dylan walked off the set of the country’s highest-rated variety show.

The story got widespread media attention in the days that followed helping to establish Dylan’s public reputation as an uncompromising artist. The publicity Bob Dylan received  from this event probably did more for his career than the actual Ed Sullivan Show performance would have. Unfortunately, this leaves us with no performance footage of Bob Dylan on The Ed Sullivan Show.

https://www.edsullivan.com/bob-dylan-on-the-ed-sullivan-show/

• Like 1

Hermann Loves Pauline, and Pauline loves Hermann
They made love and gave birth, to a little German

EX2Mt6LXQAAuF7c?format=jpg&name=small

On this day, 1997, SFA release the single Pauline Loves Hermann.

To this day, still the best late night motorway services based music video.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Agueroooooo

Has the title ever been won more dramatically asks the commentator. Yes, in 1989. 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Has the title ever been won more dramatically asks the commentator. Yes, in 1989. 

Not sure if serious, football only started in 1992.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

I wasn't alive in 1989 but I've seen footage and I'd argue that the Aguero game was more dramatic than the 1989 title win. The City game was drifiing towards a win for QPR with Man City fans leaving as the game reached stoppage time. I'm not sure anybody could have envisaged a two goal swing within stoppage time to rescue the title.

In fact that game had just about everything - City took the lead at which point it looked a formality. Then a spirited and unlikely QPR comeback to lead. And the stoppage time at the end of the game just topped up one of the most dramatic and ridiculous football games anybody will ever see.

14th May, 1955

Barry Town win the Welsh Cup for the first time.

First run as a competition in 1877, this year is the first year outside of world wars, that the competition has not been concluded. It is universally acknowledged as the finest footballing trophy with goats on.

trophies_e.gif 1024px-Welsh_cup.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think the drama he's referring to involves Hillsborough, elongating the season and a last minute goal.

A two goal swing in injury time is impressive.

I can see both arguments.

1989 was the 2 teams directly playing each other winner takes all last game of the season, not sure that's ever happened before or since and it wasn't just the win it was the 2 goals, it had a cup final feel to it

But I also think TV audiences, social media, ability to reach people had greatly increased by the time city did it so the drama maybe wasn't as much but the ability to watch it and join in with it was greatly increased (my age helps there too) 

The only other last game of the season of real interest was Blackburn and I'd say that was a better day than man City, my interest was drifting with city 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

14th May, 1955

Barry Town win the Welsh Cup for the first time.

First run as a competition in 1877, this year is the first year outside of world wars, that the competition has not been concluded. It is universally acknowledged as the finest footballing trophy with goats on.

trophies_e.gif 1024px-Welsh_cup.jpg

The Welsh Cup. In which for about the first 100 years of its existence English clubs could play in.

And now the biggest teams in Wales are not allowed to be in it. Because they play in English leagues. That makes sense somewhere.

Â