On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

On 21/10/2020 at 15:52, chrisp65 said:

EkzpViJWAAMGCBW?format=jpg&name=small

28 adults and 116 children

Another year, another anniversary.

I didn't learn this until today:

I go on all the time about how there's no accountability for anything for our leaders in this country, but need to remind myself it's never not been that way.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another year, another anniversary.

I didn't learn this until today:

I go on all the time about how there's no accountability for anything for our leaders in this country, but need to remind myself it's never not been that way.

Compensation to parents was paid out on a case by case basis, to parents that could ‘prove’ they were emotionally close to their children.

There have been slips again this year. Westminster still refuses to fund making them safe.

• Sad 3

I didn’t know about the Aberfan disaster until maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Perhaps down to my own ignorance, but I really don’t think it’s something I’d ever heard being talked about. Not round these parts, at least. 

I’m glad that that seems to have changed now though. An absolute tragedy that should never be forgotten.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

116 children

28 adults

This year, as well as land slips, a mine collapsed underground forcing water above ground and 80 people had to be evacuated from flooded homes.

spacer.png

Last February 60,000 tonnes of hillside slipped at Tylorstown

spacer.png

A government survey after Tylorstown reported 300 ‘high risk’ tips.

Making the tips safe would cost 5% the cost of HS2.

• Like 1

The public raised £150,000 for the families.

The Westminster government kept the money to pay for the ‘clean up’.

It was 1997 before the money was given to the charity it was originally intended for. The government just returned the original £150,000. No uplift, no interest.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I didn’t know about the Aberfan disaster until maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Perhaps down to my own ignorance, but I really don’t think it’s something I’d ever heard being talked about. Not round these parts, at least. 

I was 12 years old when it happened and it was chilling and traumatic. It feels like yesterday. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Luis Carrero Blanco, Spain’s first astronaut, passed away on this day in 1973.

I know who he was. The 'astronaut' bit is presumably a joke that has gone straight over my head. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I know who he was. The 'astronaut' bit is presumably a joke that has gone straight over my head. 

Guardian link

It seems that the manner of his assassination is something that is to be made light of at one’s own risk.

Spain’s supreme court has overturned a sentence handed to a student who used her Twitter account to make jokes about the 1973 assassination of a Spanish prime minister.

Last March, the country’s top criminal court gave Cassandra Vera a 12-month suspended sentence and barred her from doing a publicly funded job for seven years after she was found guilty of “humiliating victims of terrorism”.

Vera, now 22, had posted jokes about Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco, who was murdered by an Eta bomb so powerful it blew his car more than 20 metres into the air and over the roof of the church where he had just attended mass.

“Eta launched a policy against official cars combined with a space programme,” Vera wrote on 29 November 2013.

Five months later, she tweeted: “Kissinger gave Carrero Blanco a piece of the moon; Eta paid for the trip there.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Until yesterday I hadn’t heard of Luis Carrero Blanco or the manner of his death.

And until today I was completely unaware of former Romanian President Nicolae Ceaușescu, the somewhat unsuccessful speech he made today in 1989 and how he subsequently spent his (last) Christmas. 

337D7087-A120-45CF-8289-413A730C9433.jpeg.e4a8e67834689a71726fc6045126aeed.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Until yesterday I hadn’t heard of Luis Carrero Blanco or the manner of his death.

And until today I was completely unaware of former Romanian President Nicolae Ceaușescu, the somewhat unsuccessful speech he made today in 1989 and how he subsequently spent his (last) Christmas. 

I remember watching that on the TV at the time (not live, but, y’know).

It did feel momentous, it really did feel like pure people power just decided enough is enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think you are just that little bit too young for Ceausescu. There was a year or 2 when his name was rarely out of the news, similarly his death. 

• Like 1

Â