On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

30 years ago today I watched Sampdoria beat Anderlecht in the Cup Winners Cup final live at Ullevi in Gothenburg.

Started following Samp sometime in the mid 80's and the team they had late 80's early 90's was epic.

Bradford City Stadium Fire on this day in 1985

Seems to be talked about very very little compared to other stadium tragedies, but one of the most harrowing you’ll see. 
RIP to the 56

BA30AE88-34AD-48DD-8E9E-EC06AE6AA918.jpeg

• Sad 3

Jeez, yeah, I can’t give you a like obviously, but that day was horrific.

There was a conversation on here recently about people seeing grim videos. I was once in a fire safety seminar and they showed some footage of this and a couple of other fires and I took my leave and went for some air. I didn’t need to see what they were showing.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a conversation on here recently about people seeing grim videos. I was once in a fire safety seminar and they showed some footage of this and a couple of other fires and I took my leave and went for some air. I didn’t need to see what they were showing.

Yeah I've seen the video and it's harrowing.

In fact the first time I saw the video was the first time I'd heard anything about the disaster. And it was probably in about 2010.

My reaction was "Why have I never heard about this?!"

• Like 1

Shocking. The speed it spread was frightening. I'll never forget those images of the bloke on fire and the fans and police desperately trying to beat the flames out 😞 

I remember reading this about Stuart McCall a few months back, who was a Bradford player at the time. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_McCall

The league title was paraded before the final game of the season on 11 May 1985 at home to Lincoln City. However, the club's title was overshadowed when 56 people died in the Bradford City stadium fire when the Valley Parade ground's main stand caught fire after 40 minutes of play, during which McCall's father, who was with other family members, was badly injured.[19] After the fire, McCall, still in his kit, spent several hours driving from the ground to his sister's house, then to Bradford Royal Infirmary and Pinderfields Hospital trying to find his father.[20] His father had suffered severe burns and needed skin grafts on his hands and head and was in hospital for several weeks.[20]

For the following 19 months, the club played games away from Valley Parade. Cherry and the players became a close-knit team, attending funerals of the victims and other engagements in the months that followed, and the club's 13th place finish in Division Two in 1985–86 was hailed a major achievement.[21] During Bradford's time away from Valley Parade, McCall also turned his back on Leeds United, the team he had supported as a child, after their fans set fire to a chip van at Odsal Stadium.

Edited by Xela

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I've seen the video and it's harrowing.

In fact the first time I saw the video was the first time I'd heard anything about the disaster. And it was probably in about 2010.

My reaction was "Why have I never heard about this?!"

It was **** ing grim. I was out doing some local shopping and happened to be walking past a TV shop (such things existed in those days) which had a live news report on in their window. I stood and watched in horror - that flaming man walking across the pitch...  :(

8 minutes ago, hycus-flange said:

But you can’t compare this event to scumbags rioting and killing.

There were systematic failures at Heysel, its just that everyone seems to remember Liverpool Fans rioting, the official verdict was a bit of a whitewash

I'm not saying Liverpool fans were completely blameless either but

The ground should never have been used, it wasn't safe. A wall actually collapsed

Why were so many Italian fans in the Liverpool End

It wasn't liverpool fans on the pitch with a shotgun

It's still a tragedy that people died at a football match

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

There were systematic failures at Heysel, its just that everyone seems to remember Liverpool Fans rioting, the official verdict was a bit of a whitewash

The ground should never have been used, it wasn't safe. A wall actually collapsed

I never mentioned the nationality of the rioters, just that the rioters were scumbags and that that disaster could t be compared to the one at Bradford 

1 minute ago, hycus-flange said:

I never mentioned the nationality of the rioters, just that the rioters were scumbags and that that disaster could t be compared to the one at Bradford 

systematic failures in both cases and no-one was comparing

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

I had a Liverpool supporting mate, one of the sort who never missed a game, home and away, preseason friendlies, the lot. He was there - and was so traumatised by it he never went to another match. 

Edited by mjmooney

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Same circumstances, same video. Same reaction. Nah I’m good mate. Give me a shout when its done. 

• Like 1

Another football based one. On this day in 1983, Fergie's Aberdeen beat Real Madrid 2-1 to win the European Cup Winners Cub

3 players in the Aberdeen team who could later come to Villa Park - name them?

Aberdeen-caberdeen-mad.co_.uk_.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Another football based one. On this day in 1983, Fergie's Aberdeen beat Real Madrid 2-1 to win the European Cup Winners Cub

3 players in the Aberdeen team who could later come to Villa Park - name them?

Aberdeen-caberdeen-mad.co_.uk_.gif

1 player and 2 truly great managers/coaches 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â